Analysis: USA-SVN - Coulibaly (MLI)

Discussion in 'World Cup 2010: Refereeing' started by Lloyd Heilbrunn, Jun 14, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Koreafan

Koreafan Member

Jan 1, 2010
    the referee was not very good. USA were robbed of a goal yes, BUT...the foul that led to the freekick for the disallowed goal was also a bad call.

2. KMJvet

KMJvet BigSoccer Supporter

May 26, 2001
    Quake Country
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    One of those tragedies of soccer....when a ref decides a game instead of players. Feel really badly for the USA team since that was a perfectly good goal and that was only one of many horrible calls. Whoever invited that ref crew to the WC needs to be ashamed of themselves because he simply wasn't up to it.

3. Rufusabc

Rufusabc Member+

May 27, 2004
    He's looking right at the tussle between Boca and the defender. The BRadley take down is NOT being watched. It's a fair goal. Wow.

4. OMGFigo

OMGFigo Member

Jun 19, 2006
    SoCal
    You said it. I'm feeling that too.

5. orng

orng Member

Feb 11, 2010
    Club:
    Bayer 04 Leverkusen
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Worst referee I have ever seen.

6. nsa

nsa Member+

New England Revolution
    United States
    Feb 22, 1999
    Notboston, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    90:00 +3
    92:30 play is stopped for an injury
    93:58 play restarted
    94:08 final whistle

?????

Entertaining match, but frustrating given the "curious" calls and non-calls. Still, I'd take this ref over the Spaniard we saw earlier.

7. Steve Long

Steve Long Member

Nov 22, 1999
    springfield Va
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This is not a defense of the AR, but possibly of Coulibaly: Bradley's head appeared to be in an offside position as he was held and Edu scored. If the AR raised his flag for Bradley, who did not affect play, then the fault was his. Same AR who blew the more difficult actual offside earlier. But for him, USA 3-1. Of course the flow of play woujld have been radically different and the equally bad and excellent US halves only merit a tie.

8. Ref Flunkie

Ref Flunkie Member

Oct 3, 2003
    New Hudson, MI
    Perhaps I'm on my own here, but this is going to translate to more crap for us US referees, as I'm sure the soccer moms/dads and players out there watch this and are thinking "See, they are all stupid!".

9. raleighsocref

raleighsocref Member

Jan 7, 2006
    Alberto - I believe you have summed up all the emotions I have with your words. As a fan, outrage is all I have. As a referee, I am just bewlidered.

The yellow to Findley was outrageous.
    The negation of the Edu's goal for whatever reason(I am still not sure if he was signaling offside or for a foul) was completely incorrect.
    Edit to add this as well - the fact that he added no additional time in stoppage after the player from Slovenia was on the ground for what appeared to be an additional minute is just dumbfounding.

I can only assume that this gentleman has seen his last match at the WC 2010.

10. NHFootyFan

NHFootyFan Member

May 28, 2007
    Outside Concord NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Is there a procedure for requesting an investigation of the refereeing of a match?

Because this pile of dog mess seems to call out for it...

11. TyffaneeSue

TyffaneeSue moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 15, 2003
    Upstairs
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    I am hoping this referee does not get another game. And, well, I'm biased, but I would have handed out a few more yellows to Slovenia.

12. OMGFigo

OMGFigo Member

Jun 19, 2006
    SoCal
    I hear ya. But hopefully a month between now and the August preseason tourneys people will chill out and go easy on us... well, okay prolly not but one can hope, right?

13. Caesar

Caesar Moderator
    Staff Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Oztraya
    Mod's Note

Guys, I understand the frustration that a lot of you are feeling but this is not the appropriate forum to vent. This thread is to critically analyse specific aspects of the referee's perfomance, not abuse him. Moderating strictness here is even higher than the regular World Cup forums.

I am sure there will be plenty of threads going to town on this referee in the USA and World Rivalries forums. If possible, in here could we please concentrate on specific criticisms.

Please be aware that personal attacks and accusations of match fixing will be treated with zero tolerance.

14. MassachusettsRef

MassachusettsRef Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 30, 2001
    Washington, DC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Caesar has already deleted the offending post, but let's dispense with the "it was fixed" nonsense right now. If this match were fixed against the United States, then Dempsey would have been sent off on 15 seconds. You can debate whether yellow or red, fine. But a referee would have been well within his rights to send Dempsey off on the first call of the game. He didn't. He didn't even card him. If you're out to fix a match, you take every somewhat legal opportunity you can to do so--you don't wait until the 85th minute after a shocking comeback.

The ref was horrendous. He invented infringements in the attacking third. He was inconsistent with foul recognition. He ignored a couple penalty shouts. He invented a caution for Findley. He could/should have given a second caution to #5 Cesar. The list goes on. He was poor.

But fixed? No.

And with that, time for a healthy reminder... this match has the unfortunate perfect storm of being the most controversial yet and also being a US match. Caesar, IASocFan and I fully expect for there to be a ton of debate and a lot of new posters on this thread. That's fine and that's what this forum is for. But if you only come here to give the "this was fixed," "we were robbed," or to slander the country of Mali... well, don't be surprised to see your comments edited. The standards for posting here are higher than the rest of the site. Everyone has now been reminded of that again.

15. Maximum Optimal

Maximum Optimal Member+

Jul 10, 2001
    Factual question, please answer if you know: On the disallowed goal, was there an offside call from the AR or did the center ref call a foul. I was hoping one of the replays would show a wide shot so we could see the AR.

16. AlextheRef

AlextheRef Member

Jun 29, 2009
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    My only hope is that the US can still make it out of the group stage. If they end up missing the cut by 2 point or less, there will be a severe outrage from fans and it can only be a problem for the development of soccer as a whole in our nation.

In terms of match fixing: Do you honestly think a nation of 2,000,000 could persuade a referee? That is just bogus. All referees try to do their best at the World Cup. He simply was not up to the task.

Factual points:
    Dempsey should have been yellow carded in the first minute. He used his arm as a tool if not a weapon. I feel like the oversight of this caused more problems down the line

Findleys handling? He seemed awfully confident for something he was completely wrong on which brings me to another observation. He had to have called around six infringements on the USA in Slovenia's penalty area. Many of them he was out of position to do. If we, as referees, are going to have that much presence in the area, then we need to be able to have the angle to properly view the fouls which require stronger positioning.

The offside/foul on Edu's goal speaks for itself. Simply a mistake.

17. MassachusettsRef

MassachusettsRef Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 30, 2001
    Washington, DC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No offside. Foul called. Where the foul was? Not sure or clear. And even if there was one, there were also fouls on the defenders that could have resulted in penalties.

18. shawn12011

shawn12011 Member+

Jun 15, 2001
    Reisterstown, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Nothing to warrant the disallowing of the US's 3rd goal.

Mystery as to why he thought Findley committed an offense and no need for the following yellow card.

This crew was not up to snuff plain and simple.

19. Caesar

Caesar Moderator
    Staff Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Oztraya
    There was no call from the AR. It was a foul call almost immediately after the cross.

20. nsa

nsa Member+

New England Revolution
    United States
    Feb 22, 1999
    Notboston, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm thinking the same thing as I approach an U18 championship game Sunday afternoon. :eek:

Then again, I'll make sure to tether a seeing eye dog to the scorer's table before the game and wear dark glasses to set the bar low. :D

21. ElasticNorseman

ElasticNorseman Member+

Apr 16, 2004
    Natick, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    Norway
    I wonder if FIFA will comment on this as they commented after the ARG goal in their first game that they say should not have been allowed because of the holding by a teammate

22. Craig P

Craig P BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 26, 1999
    Eastern MA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It was a flop by Altidore, but he was clearly being held. He embellished, but didn't invent out of whole cloth.

I'll use this to segue into my working theory on why Coulibaly (or his assistant) invented an offense on the U.S. on the ensuing play. My theory is that it was a make-up call after he had second thoughts about the initial call. It's the only rational explanation I can come up with.

Incidentally, I thought the U.S. got away with two offenses that both should have been cautioned. In both instances, a Slovene played the ball away and then got flattened by the American defender; in the first instance, he was cynically impeded and knocked to the turf, in the second he got cleared out by a sliding tackle. I was convinced that both were unsporting tactical fouls, and I felt like Coulibaly could have and probably should have come back to caution them.

23. raleighsocref

raleighsocref Member

Jan 7, 2006
    I just watched the replay again. In the replay you can clearly see the CR pointing outwards for the direction of the foul in a manner that indicates a Direct Free Kick for Slovenia. So, somewhere he saw a foul. Not sure where but that woudl appear to be his indication.

24. taocpa

taocpa Member

Mar 12, 2005
    Bowie, MD USA
    If his head was in an offside position, it's still a bad call. It's irrelevant Bradley's head, etc. The replay clearly shows he was not ahead of the ball. Edu scored. It's that simple.

The US should not have put themselves in this position, true, but that doesn't excuse an unqualified official from being appointed to this match. FIFA is responsible for this bad decision.

25. Craig P

Craig P BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 26, 1999
    Eastern MA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't think that criticism is correct. As I remember, the announced stoppage time was three minutes. Play restarted right about at 93:00, and was blown dead at 94:00.