Analysis: USA-SVN - Coulibaly (MLI)

Discussion in 'World Cup 2010: Refereeing' started by Lloyd Heilbrunn, Jun 14, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Lloyd Heilbrunn

Lloyd Heilbrunn Member+

Feb 11, 2002
    Jupiter, Fl.
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Anybody know anything about these guys?:

Group C
    Referee
    COULIBALY Koman (MLI)
    Assistant Referee 1
    ACHIK Redouane (MAR)
    Assistant Referee 2
    CANDIDO Inacio (ANG)
    Fourth Official
    MOHD SALLEH Subkhiddin (MAS)
    Reserve Assistant Referee
    GEK PHENG Jeffrey (SIN)

2. bluedevils

bluedevils Member

Nov 17, 2002
    USA
    Re: US-Slovenia: COULIBALY

while you still can, you should update the thread title to be consistent with the format of the other match analysis threads in the forum.

3. Lloyd Heilbrunn

Lloyd Heilbrunn Member+

Feb 11, 2002
    Jupiter, Fl.
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

My bad, but I think a Mod can correct it.....

4. colins1993

colins1993 Member

Mar 1, 2001
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

This is all I good find. did not check the FIFA site yet though.

http://worldreferee.com/site/copy.php?linkID=719&linkType=referee&contextType=bio

5. Elizondo

Elizondo Member

Jul 6, 2009
    USA
  6. MassachusettsRef

MassachusettsRef Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 30, 2001
    Washington, DC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And Dempsey should have been off...

7. refmedic

refmedic Member

Sep 22, 2008
    hmm.......It's amazing to me that he could do this with so much at stake. Just like the Nigeria player the other day. There is a lot on the line Dempsey. Your team suffers when we play with 10 for 88 minutes.

8. MassachusettsRef

Staff Member

Apr 30, 2001
    Washington, DC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Horrendous decision to caution Findley.

9. Alberto

Alberto Member+

Feb 28, 2000
    Northern, New Jersey
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Talk about making up a call. Not even close to a handball. Only for the AR to blow an offside call that led to the second Slovenia goal. Wow!

10. refmedic

refmedic Member

Sep 22, 2008
    He must have thought that Findley tried to handle the ball. I don't know what he saw, but or replay, a laughable decision. At this rate, though, the American's have way more to worry about than the referee.

11. refmedic

refmedic Member

Sep 22, 2008
    I thought so at first glance, but the replay showed that he was even. They are playing like crap. This is not the referee's fault.

12. Another NH Ref

Another NH Ref BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 29, 2008
    Southern NH
    I think you want to look again. He was half a yard onside.

13. MassachusettsRef

Staff Member

Apr 30, 2001
    Washington, DC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    ???? Replay seemed to clearly show that he made an excellent call and that the goal was good.

14. bobarino

bobarino New Member

Feb 11, 2004
    U.S.A.
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Wonder if Bradley will take the team to Pizza Hut after the match to enjoy the sweet taste of defeat. Haaa!

15. MassachusettsRef

Staff Member

Apr 30, 2001
    Washington, DC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Exactly. The handling caution was awful, sure. But that's the only thing he's really gotten wrong against us (there might have been one other "phantom" foul where the player just ran into an American defender and Donovan could have broken the other way).

Really, the only point of debate was the Dempsey elbow 10 seconds into the match. And I don't think it was too debatable. He led with the elbow and struck the Slovenian in the face. We really should have been down to 10 men for the entire match. We were lucky there.

16. Steve Long

Steve Long Member

Nov 22, 1999
    springfield Va
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Check the replay carefully and you can see that the HEAD (foremost legal playing body part) of the attacker is well beyond the FOOT (hindmost legal playing body part) of the defender. That's offside. The replay shown about two minutes after the incident froze the frame before the passer had hit the ball.

17. Alberto

Alberto Member+

Feb 28, 2000
    Northern, New Jersey
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That is exactly my point. Thank you! The black line for the next to last defender is shown even with the Slovenia players feet. He is leaning forward, therefore, by extension his torso, arms and head are ahead of the black line. The American defender is facing the Slovenian goal so he is not leaning towards the American goal.

18. PVancouver

PVancouver Member

Apr 1, 1999
    Contact was made with the forearm, not the elbow. It was Dempsey who contacted the ball, not the Slovenian. He didn't use the elbow as a weapon, but as a tool. Not too debatable? I beg to differ.

19. vhatever

vhatever Red Card

Jun 16, 2010
    USA
    I don't think so. It looked pretty clearly onside to me.

The yellow for the handball was ridiculously harsh, but I guess you can count it "even" karma-wise for the Dempsey elbow.

Still, missing the elbow and awarding the yellow for the handball both look bad for the ref. On the plus side, he's still got a long way to go to match the complete officiating nightmare of the Ger-Srb game.

20. refmedic

refmedic Member

Sep 22, 2008
    When in doubt......keep the flag down! :D

21. Steve Long

Steve Long Member

Nov 22, 1999
    springfield Va
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Agree that the tie goes to the attacker, but the offside was in fact about two feet to a yard. Given the generally high quality of officiating in the bulk of the tournament, this referee team is below standard. Then again, so is the US team. A fair penalty for the US' peformance would a 1-0 deficit.

22. spectre013

spectre013 Member

Sep 5, 2007
    Colorado
    Would have to say thi is the worst job the officials have done so far this world cup :(

23. KMJvet

KMJvet BigSoccer Supporter

May 26, 2001
    Quake Country
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This is like deja vu to watching Hugh Dallas when USA played Germany, except he runs around a bit more.

24. nsa

nsa Member+

New England Revolution
    United States
    Feb 22, 1999
    Notboston, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    70' USA free kick just outside the PA.

Wall set at 7 yards.

25. AcesHigh

AcesHigh Member+

Nov 30, 2005
    Novo Hamburgo
    Club:
    Gremio Porto Alegre
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    good thing at least he got it right and didnt award the eslovenian player a red card. Some people think there is a FIFA rule about "last man" commiting a faul deserving a red card. There is no such thing. What the rules say is about a CLEAR chance of goal. To me it was not a clear chance, since both players were struggling for the ball and the american was advancing towards the side of the box, not right in the direction of the goal.