Analysis of the USMNT Attack Against South Africa

Discussion in 'USA Men: News & Analysis' started by walkingcity, Nov 19, 2010.

1. walkingcity

walkingcity Member

May 17, 2007
    Boston, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    http://worldsoccerreader.com/2010/1...s-attacking-performance-against-south-africa/

"Wednesday’s United States National Team clash in familiar territory against South Africa marked the third game of the new Bradley era and a chance to evaluate some fresh faces. Comprised of mostly MLS and lesser-known European-based players, as opposed to the familiar favorites (Donovan, Dempsey, Altidore), the USA squad was full of young players eager to impress and hopefully work themselves into normal rotation for the next World Cup qualifying cycle..."

Includes some whiteboard graphics, thought this was pretty interesting.

2. Qamle

Qamle Member

May 2, 2004
    San Diego
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Thanks, I wrote it to hopefully answer some questions about our team's future. Due to their performance, it probably raises more questions than answers.

I think this is what we've learned about our attack:

the good:
    -Bedoya looks most promising. He's creative and fearless. (but can he find a place in the midfield along with our other starters?)
    -Diskerud impressed in the little time he had in the game and deserves some starts during camp cupcake.
    -Agudelo can be explosive and wants the ball. All good qualities for a striker. However some poor crossing and passing were the results of some good possession and moves. Should be fun to watch him grow.
    -Lichaj looks comfortable with the ball at his feet in attack. He even put a few moves on his markers, and succeeded.

The bad:
    -Carroll & Pause did nothing to prove that they were nothing more than just fillers for this game. They gave the ball away a lot and were unable to contribute to any meaningful possession in the center.
    -Rodgers and Gaven performed admirably enough, but the international level is just a bit to high for them. They both had their moments, but won't be threatening for a starting spot anytime soon.
    -Bob Bradley is too dependent upon attacking up the wing. It works for Barca, (and Lichaj did his best Dani Alves impression), but if we are to generate more meaningful chances on goal, we need a field general in the middle. I always thought he was overrated, but now I really wish we had a Reyna-style player.

3. Heist

Heist Member+

Jun 15, 2001
    Virginia
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I disagree. It raises questions about our C team and gave us a look at some of our potential future players. On that, I actually liked it. It hopefully answered the Robbie Findley question, although I don't know why Bradley still asks it.

4. nancyb

nancyb Member

Jun 30, 2000
    Falls Church, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    One comment - I missed the game and didn't actually know the result. I bailed on your article to track down the results.

5. sXeWesley

sXeWesley Member+

Jun 18, 2007
    Club:
    Portland Timbers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't know about all that. That game confirmed an opinion I have had all along, that at the international level it takes something extraordinary to score. Some players are good attacking players in general, but ordinary. Those would Twellman's, Findly's, etc. The make the simple, logical move and beat simple defenses. They are worthless at the inernational level imo.

This game in South Africa was useful in that is seemed to identify a few young guys in the pool who have the potential to be extraordinary.

Bedoya was solid as that article pointed out, but in my mind Mix was the best answer to come from the game, followed by Agudelo.

In limited time they produced more tangible evidence of the creativity necesarry to be useful in the attacking third at the international level than all of their couterparts. In limited time no less.