An open-minded mayor

Discussion in 'Oklahoma' started by Wallydrag, Feb 14, 2005.

1. Wallydrag

Wallydrag BigSoccer Supporter

Jul 24, 2002
    Oklahoma City
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    After hearing about Mick Cornett, mayor of OKC, and his State of the City address in which he mentioned wanting to bring a 'major leage team' to the city I emailed him this:

This was his response to this email:

This is very, very encouraging I feel. How it would translate into something actually happening should and I/O group reform would need to be seen. However, former mayor Kirk Humprhey was borderline vocally opposed to MLS, at least for OKC. He never said OKC wouldn't want a team but that the city wouldn't help them in any way. The fact that Mayor Cornett not only said that he wouuld help a team come to OKC or one of the suburbs but also that he's impressed with MLS itself and that's he's enjoyed attending a game (at San Jose no less). Very promising I feel.

2. OKCmetalhead

OKCmetalhead New Member

Jul 11, 2003
    Hey wally, you seen the progress out at Wantland lately?? I've driven by it almost everyday since saturday, and it is looking beautiful. I saw them raising the new second level stands into place when i drove by there today. If everything falls into place maybe we will end up with and MLS team after all. Especially if Fost wins the Edmond mayoral election in April, as she is a big supporter of getting a team here. Well see ya round. Peace.

3. Wallydrag

Jul 24, 2002
    Oklahoma City
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I haven't been by there lately. I'll have to swing by sometime this weekend and take a few photos and post them up to show everyone the progress. Last time I was out there they had just torn down the old press box.

I haven't heard much about her. What all do you know?

4. OKCmetalhead

OKCmetalhead New Member

Jul 11, 2003
    I read an article and havn't read much about her since. I know she is the current owner of Around the Corner and mainly she has a fairly "can-do" and "do it now" approach. Her stance against Naifeh is kinda that Naifeh hasn't been grabbing Edmond's opportunites by the horns. Fost says she is planning to look into the possibility of an edmond convention center out on I-35, getting an MLS team, resolving traffic problems among other things. While our current mayor has done alot for this community I'm liking how this Fost lady sounds. Sorry for the vague details of what she is all about, i'll try and look some stuff up about her online and get it on here. peace.

5. Wallydrag

Jul 24, 2002
    Oklahoma City
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm sure we'll find out more the closer April gets.