An open letter to the Nordecke (massive report)

Discussion in 'Columbus Supporters Clubs' started by Kryptonite, May 21, 2011.

1. Lt. Dan's New Legs

Jan 13, 2011
    Westerville, Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Instead of YSA why don't we chant "We are massive!"

2. scornflakes

scornflakes Member

Aug 1, 2009
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    The tonsure is long overdue for a comeback.

3. Kryptonite

Kryptonite BS XXV

Apr 10, 1999
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I like the "wide right" one.

The Crewvuzela might be another good idea.

4. HSH_b

HSH_b New Member

Feb 28, 2008
    Cbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We should do that one chant that everyone has talked about before but we haven't done but its good and should be done instead of that other chant that is mildly upsetting to some people.

5. LaMacchia

LaMacchia Member+

Jul 12, 2008
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Nah, I don't like that one.

6. invalid

invalid Member

Apr 2, 2003
    Seattle
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Ok, I'm going to have to vote for our capo to be swinging from wires that would reach above each section and seat. Also, they have to do the spiderman pose at least 4 times a match. Actually, they have to dress like spiderman, too.

Eh? Anyone? Is this thing on?

7. Crewzan Rum

Crewzan Rum New Member

Jun 16, 2009
    Worthington
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Capo-man . Fighting unorganized chants in a section near you

8. Crewzan Rum

Crewzan Rum New Member

Jun 16, 2009
    Worthington
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    But it's so creative and no one else has thought of it yet. And I just know that if I watch it enough online and bring it up once or twice a season to the same person who always approves of every idea I have, that we can get thousands wait no, millions doing it at CCS

9. HSH_b

HSH_b New Member

Feb 28, 2008
    Cbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    "I got Crew but I'm not a Crewzer" ala The Killers "All these things that I've done"

1 person likes this.
  10. HardHatMike

HardHatMike DOOOOOOOOM!

Traktor Nebraska
    Aug 31, 2005
    Lincoln, Nebraska
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Exactly one of the problems, IMO.

I was only the face guy. (And who the hell thought that was a good idea for my ugly mug to be the face?). Kev and Clem were (and still are) the engine of the group. It is their non-stop efforts that make the mechanism go. The CSU needs a new face guy to step up.

I look at this debate and see both sides of it. Not being there to help be part of the solution sucks. Bottom line for me, which Thoma has repeated ad nauseum at this point but still cannot get through to some people, is that until people quit viewing the Nordecke as simply a place to get drunk and swear for 2 hours, nothing is going to change. And I'll agree with whomever it was that said that there are way too many people who want to be leaders that aren't willing to take their turns as followers first. This is why the groups must have elected leadership that can reign in this type of dissent and who aren't afraid to hurt a few peoples' feeling within their own group in order to make thing better for the Nordecke as a whole.

11. Ch(Elsey)

Ch(Elsey) Member+

Columbus Crew
    United States
    May 2, 2003
    Green, Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    thumbs up.

12. Captain Splarg

Apr 25, 1999
    Pacific Grove, CA
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    especially fun when the AAAAAHHHhhhh part can last up to a minute.

13. HardHatMike

HardHatMike DOOOOOOOOM!

Traktor Nebraska
    Aug 31, 2005
    Lincoln, Nebraska
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm HHM and I approve this message.

14. JerryLegend

JerryLegend New Member

May 29, 2011
    Cincinnati
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Hey this is my first post on here. I was reading the discussion and figured I'd try to chip in.

So obviously not all of the nordecke reads this forum, but I'd be willing to bet at least 95% of them have a facebook, so if everyone is looking to change YSA, why doesn't everyone come up with some possible alternatives, and then post up one of those polls on facebook and everyone can vote. Though I can tell my vote is already going to YSB. Brilliant.

I also like how there were a few people taking charge Saturday sort of acting like capos. Things in the beginning went a lot smoother than they have. Though by the end it seemed to be back to the regular clusterfack. There REALLY needs to be someone that cues everyone for "when the crew go marching in".

edit: Oh and it kind of sounds a bit cheesy and played out, but I'll throw up the idea anyway. How about for Toronto's goal kicks we do "blame Canada". If anything we can at least annoy them to death with that.

15. Smithsoccer1721

Smithsoccer1721 Member+

Feb 16, 2007
    Middle of the Table
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I have sat down in the Nordecke since 2008. I haven't missed many games during that time. However, I left my area and went to the new seats at halftime of the game on Saturday. I would to be there chanting and cheering my team to victory but when I see people just getting hammered and pouring liquor out of flasks and worrying about just having a good time it makes me sick. I may leave the section for a few game and come back at a later date. I know that I am not HELPING fix the problem but it's not partydecke.

Side note* It is really hard to chant and clap in unison if you are near LTB. They are always drumming (a good thing) but when a chant starts its hard to get involved when they pouding away next to you.

16. THOMA GOL

THOMA GOL BigSoccer Supporter

Jul 16, 1999
    Frontier
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    HA! I've felt frustration and well, seeing the amount of emphasis on "let's Get drunk, let's get drunk" along with those who were front and center in the Nordecke texting away have led me to simply throw my arms in the air. I have to do my best to be vocal for this team first and foremost and not worry about other folk. That is a simple solution if any. If anything else, I've just added another set of characters or two to my comics :)

Whenever I heard the majority of the Nordecke start a song/chant, a few of us were aiming to link up and "influence" the drummers to get on board. A few issues though. The dynamics on the field added to the fervor in the Nordecke and with LTA drumming it was ADHD all over. There is an 'case study' of sorts with LTA. Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but most of the Nordecke do not follow leagues in Latin America, let alone the supporter culture there. When people talk about (even complain) about the random drumming, they fail to realize or simply aren't educated to the fact that this is how the barra bravas work in Latin America. This type of support goes on the full match even after the match (as you have seen LTA stay and party it up, win lose or draw). There are very little gaps of silence in barra bravas so can you blame them for drumming it up when the rest of the section are fiddling around with the same four songs/chants?

17. Smithsoccer1721

Smithsoccer1721 Member+

Feb 16, 2007
    Middle of the Table
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I can't blame LTA for drumming all game because they are at least making noise. It's just hard to get synced up with the rest of the corner when you are near them.

18. THOMA GOL

Jul 16, 1999
    Frontier
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And this is sort of stumbling block with the capo idea. A strong capo would somewhat require total unity. If people were not able to be on board with the unity of the section as a whole, well, sad to say, but they can take their talents elsewhere. That's why it's a fine line at times. LTA already threatened to move. Would compromising their barra brava style for the balance of the section be a problem to where they would threaten to move again?

There were several chants/songs that they do that I hear in Latin American games all the time. They'll do these chants to support Columbus. If people don't know the lyrics, in Spanish, well, they don't really care, because they'll continue to sing them, after all, it's for the team sake.

My final take? Other clubs in the league with or without a capo and with a mixed conglomerate of supporter styles have shown and proven that things can work.

19. CrewVillain

CrewVillain Member

Mar 21, 2002
    My voice is still rough and my ribs still hurt from belting out "Goals!" which caught on pretty well. "Exterminate!" was also hilarious. I had a great time and we just need some more songs in rotation and a little more energy at the end of the first half.

Thoma - you need to join scornflakes and I in the bottom of 142.

20. THOMA GOL

Jul 16, 1999
    Frontier
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I heard the goals being started. But then I had drums to my right not paying attention, as always.

21. Ch(Elsey)

Ch(Elsey) Member+

Columbus Crew
    United States
    May 2, 2003
    Green, Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  22. crew317

crew317 Member

Aug 15, 2010
    Cicero, Indiana
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The goals chant was awesome, we also had Tetris going a little bit also.

23. CrewVillain

CrewVillain Member

Mar 21, 2002
    Until we get a stand and a capo, I think 142 is a great place to get stuff started. If 101 and 140 are more together I think that LTA will catch on and fill any gaps with their own songs. So, if you have song ideas, maybe come down there and I think you'll find some willing helpers.

Any addition to this before I start printing:
    [ame="http://www.scribd.com/doc/47618264/supporter-songbook"]supporter_songbook[/ame]

I'm going to add "Goals" and "Roll Columbus On" to this as well as URLs to some online stuff.

24. JerryLegend

JerryLegend New Member

May 29, 2011
    Cincinnati
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    I randomly thought about this at work and thought up another variation.

"we love crew, so we'll be their soldiers"

This actually could be a cool chant if we get the right formula.