An open letter to MercuryNews.com

Discussion in 'San Jose Earthquakes' started by Bajoro, Oct 4, 2003.

1. Bajoro

Bajoro Member+

Sep 10, 2000
    The Inland Empire
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I just finished (on Saturday afternoon before the Sunday MetroStars match) looking up the Quake's article at Mercurynews.com.

Surprise, surprise, surprise. Nothing there.

Well. I was motivated to write this to Ann Killion, because I didn't know who else to contact. Maybe you guys would like to write similar questions.

Don't pile on Ann, though. Is there someone else who would be better to harrass?

Here's what I sent her...

Hi Ann.

I wasn't sure to whom this should be written, so because of your excellent commentary on soccer I thought you'd be the one to ask. Perhaps you can forward this to the appropriate parties.

My question is this: Why do the Earthquakes get such shabby treatment at Mercurynews.com?

Here it is the day before a match (Saturday Oct. 4) and there's no preview? Did it escape everyone's attention that Sunday's match against New Jersey could be the division clincher?

But worse than that, on the Sports home page, there's not a mention of the Quakes. Under the "Sports" header, they've got all the teams listed (49ers, Warriors, Cal, SJSU, etc.) except... one. They've got a section for scores from MLB, NFL, NCAA Football, PGA. Not MLS.

The weird thing is, it wouldn't cost a penny more to add "Quakes" in the TEAMS menu.

The only thing I can figure out is, for some reason, the MercuryNews.com management has made a conscious decision to leave the Quakes out.

Kind of weird, seeing as they're the most successful of all Bay Area sports teams in the last 3 years, as far as performance goes.

What gives?

Thanks for reading this. And also thanks for your excellent commentary on the WWC.

Best wishes,

2. Bajoro

Bajoro Member+

Sep 10, 2000
    The Inland Empire
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    A heartwarming response from Ann's computer:

Thank you for your email. Because I get such a high volume of email, I
    cannot reply personally to every message sent. However, please be assured
    that I do read all of the email that I receive. I appreciate your input and
    the fact that you took the time to write.
    Regards,

Ann Killion
    San Jose Mercury News

;)

3. Spartacus

Spartacus Member

May 20, 2001
    The NO SOCCER Zone
    I say again...MLS brings this on itself by extending the season into pointyball season and baseball's post-season. Don't protest the Mercury News...write a letter to Don Garber and tell him about the damage he's doing to the league by extending the season too long.

By the way...Ann Killion's response was automated. I got a similar reply from Mark Purdy last week.

4. Bajoro

Bajoro Member+

Sep 10, 2000
    The Inland Empire
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not a protest... just a reasonable question.

But Spartacus... Are you saying it's Garber's fault the Mercurynews.com can't make the miniscule effort to put the Quakes in the Bay Area Sports Team menu?

It's almost as if it's a conscious decision by the publication to insult the Quakes and their fans, and the sport in general.

5. Spartacus

Spartacus Member

May 20, 2001
    The NO SOCCER Zone
    You're right to a point...I doubt that the editorial staff of the Merc goes out of its way to say "how can we screw Earthquakes fans and make them really mad today?" But, if we stuck to a timeframe with less competition from "mainstream" sports, it would be easier for MLS to remain in the media spotlight. As it is now, there just isn't enough spotlight to go around.

Also, mind you, we get more coverage than ever before. When was there ever a full soccer page before this year? And have you noticed the Mexican League coverage has diminished? I'll bet if you measured column inches from 2002 to 2003, the Earthquakes in particular and soccer in general is getting more regular coverage.

My assertion is (and has been since opening day) that by extending the season into September/October/November that our media opportunities would be diminished...making it easier for the mainstream media to "backseat" its soccer coverage.

6. yalpstel

yalpstel Member

Oct 12, 2000
    Bay Area, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hang in there Bajoro...she once responded to a question, rather a comment I had regarding an article of hers regarding the QUAKES in the 2001 season. Mine even made it to print in the sports editorial section (I think that's what's it's called). Give it a couple of days, I received that automated thing first as well.

I dunno though....maybe you were too nice. ;)

7. drewb

drewb Member

Jul 11, 2001
    S'vale
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I haven't bothered to buy a copy of the merc since I let my subscription lapse seven years ago.

If I want to read a newspaper, I buy a NYTimes at the coffee shop. The merc COULD differentiate themselves, but they're too lazy.

8. CARLOS1

CARLOS1 Member

Aug 9, 2001
    Sunnyvale, CA
    Club:
    Real Betis
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    f-the merc and Anne Killion. I emailed her couple of yeras ago. Her head is up her culo - she has no clue.

9. mlsfan11

mlsfan11 Member

May 20, 2001
    Daly City, California
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Actually I believe Dylan Hernandez is the Quakes guy this year, not Ann Killian (although she used to be). I do get the Merc and thought the coverage was pretty good this year up until the baseball playoffs and college football. Now, as Bajoro points out, the coverage is missing in action. Bajoro, you are right! (In my humble opinion). The Chronicle might even do a better job although it's not Hernadez fault. Get to the Sports Section Editor. He/She is the one that decides what goes in and what does't.

10. Bajoro

Bajoro Member+

Sep 10, 2000
    The Inland Empire
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    My comment is very specific: Why can't they list the Quakes in their "team menu" on the Mercury News web site?

Here's their freekin' menu:

TEAMS: 49ers | Raiders | Giants | Athletics | Warriors | Sharks | Stanford | Cal | San Jose State
    SCORES: MLB | NCAA football |NFL | PGA

I got news for them:
    The Niners and Raiders are losers. The Giants and Athletics are toast. The Warriors haven't been a factor in 9 years and it's one team that Quakes actually outdraw -- they inflate their numbers as if they were Kraftniks. The Sharks, ok. Stanford, Cal and SJSU? Take away the free or next to free student tickets and you'd see that they're all small fish.

But what takes the cake is... they could just ADD the words QUAKES and MLS, plus the hot link, and it wouldn't cost them a damn penny. The mailroom boy can do it on his break. They even have room to add C'RAYS and WUSA. Or even just SOCCER.

But no. Jerks.

[/rant]

That felt gooooood!!!

:D

11. And then there's this morning's Bud Geracie column in the Merc. Second time he's mentioned ignoring the sport. What a condescending A$$hole. Yet another reason I look forward to calls from the Mercury's telemarketing department.

12. Albany58

Albany58 Member+

Sep 14, 1999
    Concord, CA USA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Something should be made of this; I think it's important (and Warriors tickets are many times more expensive). The major reason is the sportswriter cabal that doesn't understand soccer and are intimidated by it.