An ODP versus Super-Y article

Discussion in 'Youth & HS Soccer' started by Stan Collins, Jul 14, 2005.

1. Stan Collins

Stan Collins Member+

Feb 26, 1999
    Silver Spring, MD
  2. JohnR

JohnR Member+

Jun 23, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    Unlikely. Super Y's talent identification system does nothing for the vast majority of players -- and probably still the majority of good players -- who do not play for Super Y clubs.

That said, Super Y's critique of ODP is valid, so its talent identification approach is an excellent supplement. But for the foreseeable future, I see it as an alternative, not a replacement.

3. tscboys

tscboys Member+

Sep 7, 2004
    Tulsa
    I dont know much about Super-Y, but I have played in the ODP system, and in my opinion, it sucks. ODP is too political, it's hard for a new kid on the team to get as much of a look as the old kids because the coach knows the old kids and their parents a lot better.

4. Belmont

Belmont New Member

Jul 14, 2005
    Los Angeles
    Still, I would much rather be in an ODP team than recreational

5. voros

voros Member

Jun 7, 2002
    Parts Unknown
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So with Garber's announcement clearing the way to pro player development for MLS teams, does Super Y and the USL provide the obvious conduit for giving those youth setups games and opponents? Or does the league decide to create something new on its own?

6. Stan Collins

Stan Collins Member+

Feb 26, 1999
    Silver Spring, MD
    I would guess the former, since MetroStars and DC United (along with the Vancouver Whitecaps and until recently the Rochester Rhinos) already play there.

But maybe not. Supposedly the reason the Rhinos dropped out (this came from a parent of a kid in the Rhinos' program on nas) was the cost of participation. MLS might do something on its own if they find that to be a cheaper alternative.

7. Smashfoot

Smashfoot New Member

Feb 25, 2005
    I must say that my experience with USYSA ODP has been nothing but positive.

My experience with Super Y has been that people are not yet comitted to it. My experience is with girls, and not boys, if that makes a difference.

But IMHO, USYSA ODP for the most part correctly identified the best players in the state and the region. Super Y ODP was obviously political, an embarrassment really, with most of the players selected from the coach's home club, which was not even competitive in that age group.

8. hobbes

hobbes Member

Jul 26, 1999
    regina, saskatchewan
    I admit I know very little about Super Y, but I had a few questions.

I'm going to the Canada Games, a U19 national championship. Since the 87 and 88s should form the core of the 2007 World Youth Championships when Canada hosts, this could be a big week for some of the fringe players.

New Brunswick just released their roster and according to their bios four of their players have experience with the Boston Bulldogs of Super Y. One is definitely on their current roster.

Now I see on the Bulldogs site that they have U13-U19 teams. Is that common? Are there 'Super Y' teams at each age group or are U19 the only true Super Y's?

Finally, why would a Super Y team in Boston be developing Canadian talent?

Any info about Super Y would be great. I gather Boston plays in the Mass Premier League and then would advance from there in some sort of club competition?

cheers,
    hobbes

9. Squash

Squash Member

Mar 8, 2003

Yeah like 80 teams nationwide make ODP obsolete. I want some of what that guys taking or smoking, because he's high as all can be.

Until more than 80 or so clubs play Super Y, I can't take it completely serious as an alternative to or replacing ODP.

I think it's great, but to me more ways is better, because there is no perfect system.

10. JohnR

JohnR Member+

Jun 23, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    Gave the man a rep point for that.

In a nation of 300 million people with a lot of kids playing soccer pretty seriously, we have too many players for a single centralized system to serve as the talent funnel. As Squash says, we don't need a new monopoly system; we need more paths.

Super Y/ID2 + ODP + (we hope) true MLS youth programs + national tournaments (frequently, the national ODP guys will spot a player at such tournaments and give him a shot, even though he was bypassed by ODP at a lower level) + Addidas/ESP camp = multiple opportunities, and a darned sight better than where we were a few years ago. Can we keep improving?

I do feel for the girls, who have nowhere near as many paths.

11. pokerjoe

pokerjoe BigSoccer Yellow Card

Mar 24, 2001
    The girls get about 3-4 times as many scholarships than boys. I wouldn't feel too sorry to them.

12. Stan Collins

Stan Collins Member+

Feb 26, 1999
    Silver Spring, MD
    Indeed. A lot of new programs in a pretty short time. It will be interesting to see, once these programs (and the players developed by them) have a chance to mature, what the quality of players we turn out are.

I think even Bradenton was a serious help to Donovan and Beasley at a key stage of their careers. I hope for a similar boost for some other serious talents (who might be 10 or 12 today) 5 years or so down the line.