An instant shot in the arm for MLS: SIGN UP THAT IRISH ANNOUNCER DUDE

Discussion in 'MLS: General' started by detroitexpress, Aug 4, 2002.

1. detroitexpress

detroitexpress New Member

Oct 24, 2000
    Detroit
    ...or perhaps he was scottish. I'm talking about the guy with the thick accent that did the World Cup color commentary, I think it was for ESPN. He did the World Cup highlights show every night, too.

THIS GUY IS GOLD. He makes the game exciting for the average Joe. And America loves personality + enthusiasm. His accent is not a detriment, it is an ASSET. TV is littered with successful personalities with strong accents. But mostly it's his enthusiasm that is contagious.

If he did MLS games ratings would increase 50%. He just makes the game more colorful, kind of lke John Madden in the NFL.

Why the heck isn't he working for MLS?

2. Darryl

Darryl Member

Nov 27, 1999
    Arlington, VA
    I think you're talking about Tommy Smyth. I like him a lot too. I think I have heard him do MLS games before, but I could be wrong. He also does rugby.

He gets a little ribbing for his signature call when someone scores a goal he says "he put another bulge in the old onion bag", but I think it's funny.

Anyway, I agree with you.

3. metrocorazon

metrocorazon Member

May 14, 2000
    He did Metro's color commentary for the past 6 years until this year.

4. d8n_two

d8n_two New Member

Jul 18, 2002
    Stillwater
    Tommy Smyth does the international league matches that ESPN shows like Champions League and La Liga (I think ESPN broadcasts some of those, I could be wrong).

I believe he said in an interview that he's lived in the States (NY) for the past 16 years or something. I think he would be a great addition to MLS broadcasts.

It doesn't seem like the international schedule would keep him from doing many games. I'm also not sure if he actually goes to Europe to call the games. I know during the WC he would call a game and 30 minutes later be in studio for ESPNEWS to break it down. So I assume he was not calling the game in person, but rather over a live broadcast (or else ESPN has a really fast corporate charter jet). He might do a similar thing when calling CL & La Liga matches. I don't know. But if he's in the states to call MLS matches, ESPN should make it happen.

"Oh, he put a bulge in the ole onion bag." That's classic.

d8n_two

5. Popero

Popero Member

Jul 5, 2002
    CT
    He does a radio broadcast in New York City every week, as far as I know.

I'd love to have him.

6. detroitexpress

Oct 24, 2000
    Detroit
    I suggest all in favor of having this man do color commentary on MLS games write an e-mail (or better yet, hard-copy letter) to ESPN, ABC, and MLS (Garber).

Garber's e-mail address is easy enough to get from the MLS site - does anyone know good contact addresses at ESPN and ABC?

7. gatopreto

gatopreto Member

May 31, 2000
    NYC
    I really miss him on the Metros broadcasts this year. I love him.

8. Jim Dow

Jim Dow New Member

Mar 20, 1999
    Belmont, MA
    Actually the guys who work with Smyth are excellent too. Both J.P. DellaCamera and/or Mike Hill would be terrific play by play announcers. I think a team with Smyth, Hill or DellaCamera in the booth and Rob Stone on the sidelines and between the halves would be very, very good and a lot of fun to watch and listen to.

JIM DOW

9. eric515

eric515 Member

May 8, 2002
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Aston Villa FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    My vote is for J.P. and Tommy Smyth. I am not a big fan of Mike Hill's. Plus, if we are going to have an Irishman, we need one Yank in the booth!

I totally agree about Tommy and soccer, he would be like Dickie V. for college hoops, John Madden for NFL, Keith Jackson for college football, and for you Georgians, like Larry Munson is for the Dawgs!

[gravelly Larry Munson voice] OH, YOU, HERSCHEL WALKER!!! [/Munson]

10. Barca_Fan2003

Barca_Fan2003 New Member

Mar 30, 2002
    Slidell, LA
    I prefer Dellacamera and Seamus Mallen.

11. Casper1377

Casper1377 New Member

Oct 20, 2001
    ABC sure can't do soccer, but hatred? No problem!

Did anyone notice the obvious tension between ABC World Cup studio analysts former player Eric Wynalda and the Italian guy, Giorgio something-or-other? (Not sure of his last name).
    These two never agreed on a single thing and seemed to actually hate each other. Usually it went something like this: Giorgio would be asked a question and give his opinion then Wynalda would stare at him like the guy was talking nonsense and then say the exact opposite or just begin disagreeing. Then when Wynalda was first to talk and Giorgio then followed up, Wynalda would just give the guy an icy stare that said "I'd like to kill you, and you don't know crap". In fact it's a wonder the whole thing didn't digress into that anyway.
    I mean it was obvious, at least to me. I was surprised they actually kept the pairing cos it was so bizzare.

12. detroitexpress

Oct 24, 2000
    Detroit
    Re: ABC sure can't do soccer, but hatred? No problem!

I'm pretty sure that ABC coaches these guys to have arguments - it's contrived. They want to create a lively "Fox NFL" type discussion. I thought it was funny to see Chinaglia try to act like Mike Ditka or Jerry Glanville on an NFL show.

13. fusionmansteve

fusionmansteve New Member

Jun 9, 2000
    Waiting in Lockhart parking lot.....
    Club:
    Miami FC
    That was Giorgio Chinaglia, former Italian great and New York Cosmo...

I totally agree--watching them was like watching, well, two people that have a seething dislike for one another. This was, to me, in no way orchestrated by ABC.

It wasn't pleasant to watch unfortunately. So I flipped to Univision. Even in Spanish, I got more out of their coverage.

Couldn't they have given Ray Hudson more time? He's the guy, along with Smyth, that have the only realistic chance of selling soccer broadcasts to a wider audience.

14. detroitexpress

Oct 24, 2000
    Detroit
    I thought it had to be orchestrated by ABC because the arguing struck me as phony.

15. Russell Rucker

Russell Rucker New Member

Jul 14, 2000
    Chinaglia , Seamus, Smyth and Ray Hudson would make a great 4 man team! Or maybe have Gazza and Hudson with Seamus O'Irish as a team. I would pay big bucks for that group announcing. It would be like having two Dandy Don Merediths and a John Madden in the both.

16. Jacen McCullough

Nov 23, 1998
    Maryland
    Not only is Smyth a great color guy, but he's a great supporter of the league. He always pimps MLS when he announces games for other leagues.

JMac

17. bbax2000

bbax2000 New Member

Mar 1, 2001
    Oaktown, CA
    Agree that Tommy Smyth is the best we got.

In the WC, my favorite was (I think) Shep Messing
    "He hit that ball with no regard for humanity!"