An epiphany - Teach not just the ball, but people's (defender's) body movement

Discussion in 'Youth & HS Soccer' started by NewDadaCoach, Jun 5, 2020.

1. NewDadaCoach

NewDadaCoach Member

Tottenham Hotspur
    United States
    Sep 28, 2019
    #1 NewDadaCoach, Jun 5, 2020
    Last edited: Jun 5, 2020
    The overwhelming focus of soccer training is centered on the player controlling the ball. And that is, of course, very fundamental. But, I feel just as fundamental is understanding human (defender) movement.

Most dribbling drills involve going around static objects (cones and such). While this helps build ball control, it ignores opposing player movement, which is the dynamic under which every play will dribble in a game situation. It hit me recently - this approach is lacking, something is missing.

What's going on when a kid plays soccer?

They are controlling their body.
    They are controlling the ball.
    They are working in a team dynamic.

AND

They are facing opposing individuals, while controlling a ball.

Virtually all the training videos I see involve dribbling around cones, or in open space. Sometimes to simulate a defender, they use those fake "dummy" props. I find that very lacking. It doesn't teach how to contend with another human - a human which is dynamic in movement, which manifests certain pressures on the dribbler. Cones and dummies are static.

Yes, you have drills like rondos, which teach how to use space and pass and "keep away" from defenders. But that's more macro movement; doesn't drill deep into how human, as individuals, move specifically.

I don't think I've ever seen a training video where it actually focuses on exact movements of the opposing human. To me, facing a defender is like sparring in martial arts - it is fundamental.

If you take someone like Leo Messi, I suspect they have studied this as a science and understand human movement deeply. Did he learn this subconsciously, through much practice? Or did he deliberately and consciously think about it and deconstruct player movement? My guess is the later. Just a guess; but I think that's one thing that separates him from the pack.

What I'm saying is, contending with an opposing human is as fundamental as controlling a ball. It should be taught a younger ages, almost as soon as they touch the ball. It's similar to american football in that way - what the whole thing is about (ie, the point of the game) is going against and through defenders. Soccer is very similar. When I watch Leo Messi, he looks like a football running back in how he moves and contends with defenders.

I have already started to train my kid on this. He will know how the defender will lunge in with his leg/foot, at what angles and how to face it (with V, L, la croqueta, etc and shielding). The players I play with who nutmeg often, it seems they know body movement quite deeply.

Regista and smontrose repped this.
  2. SoccerPop314

SoccerPop314 Member

Fire
    United States
    Apr 24, 2020
    Good points but it’s hard to simulate that on a Zoom training or in a 10 yard by 10 yard cone square that kids aren’t restricted to practicing in at the current moment.

kids are going to come out of this with great technical skills and juggling highs but it will take some time to get their soccer legs, passing, receiving and runs down.

bigredfutbol and NewDadaCoach repped this.
  3. NewDadaCoach

NewDadaCoach Member

Tottenham Hotspur
    United States
    Sep 28, 2019
    #3 NewDadaCoach, Jun 6, 2020
    Last edited: Jun 6, 2020
    Good points.
    We haven't done zoom training yet.

Just before coming here and reading your msg, I was watching this guy, Matt Sheldon (USL player) on YouTube. I've seen a lot of his training videos. In this video he talks about what separates him from a Premiere League player.

I couldn't help but watch and shake my head, at, well, what my post was about.

Take a glace at
    12:15 - 14:50 ... he is doing a lot of "cone work"

This is what I'm talking about. It looks good. It's better than nothing obviously.

BUT... when in a game does one dribble around cones?

I can do a gazillion reps of a move on my own, and think "ok I'm prepared for such and such situation; I'll smoke the defender", but if I have only done the reps alone, and not against a real human under real pressure, then it's gonna be hard to pulll off.
    I experience this all the time when I play pick up. I just can't pull off moves that I thought I had down.
    I need to practice them with a human facing me down, not a cone. It's just inadequate.
    Anywho, I'm applying it to my kid. I think it worked last year; and we'll see if it continues to give him an edge.

I think games like tag and chase works on these skills for toddlers and preschool age kids.

Obviously having another human to practice with is a luxury that many just don't have. I realize that. My kid practices with me so I am his defender. I think if you are a parent and can just stand there or apply whatever pressure you can apply, even that is better than cones.

4. SoccerPop314

SoccerPop314 Member

Fire
    United States
    Apr 24, 2020
    yes, my soccer skill is zero and I’m not much of a challenge to my daughter but it’s still better and more fun for her than come work. But for sure her feet are much faster than they were at the start of the pandemic. Touches are great, but your peers make everything better.

NewDadaCoach repped this.
  5. TheKraken

TheKraken Member

United States
    Jun 21, 2017
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think you are looking at it the wrong way. If you cannot dribble around cones, what chance do you have dribbling around a defender? Cones are about repetition building muscle memory. You can never get the same reps in against another player as you can by lining up 20 cones and going at them over and over.

ytrs, illinisoccer and bigredfutbol repped this.
  6. NewDadaCoach

NewDadaCoach Member

Tottenham Hotspur
    United States
    Sep 28, 2019
    #6 NewDadaCoach, Jun 7, 2020
    Last edited: Jun 7, 2020
    I think using cones is good and necessary. Esp to build muscle memory as you point out. I agree on that. You need the reps.

But that will only get you to like 60-70% of your potential.

Let's look at boxing. If a boxer only hits the punching bag, maybe they develop perfect form. Many reps. But if they only hit the bag, and never spar with a real human, then enter a real boxing match, they will not fare well. They cannot just hit a punching bag and never spar. That won't adequately prepare them.

I see it similarly in soccer. You are sparring with a defender. So, cones will build a foundation and help your form. But then, after that, you need to spar with a real opponent. If you don't, then you'll be using the actual game to work out your kinks; the game will be like practice; you'll make too many mistakes. You don't want that. You want to work out the kinks before the game.
    My point is this - the move is a reaction to the opponent. So, without an opponent, you cannot fully develop the move; only a semblance of the move.

Well, this is my new approach. I think it's novel. I haven't see it or read about it. So I'll test it out we'll see what happens. But I think I'm on to something.

bigredfutbol repped this.
  7. Regista

Regista Member

Barcelona
    United States
    Feb 22, 2019
    Sibling Sparring Sessions. Thanks to Corona this is what my kids do. My 13 year old technically is great. Playing against her non soccer playing sister on a daily basis 1v1 long sided and short sided is an extension of the cones. massive gains. Add in long and short passing drills off the dribble with shooting, chips, long balls and through balls is mimicking field play that coaches often neglect through scrimmages. Rondos have value, but i rather dribble and pass in scenarios
    Good topic by NewDada

NewDadaCoach repped this.
  8. smontrose

smontrose Member

Real Madrid
    Italy
    Aug 30, 2017
    Illinois, NW Suburb
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Like your OP and I've replied on this in another thread...
    Go to YouTube and you find tons of stuff on how to get better,fancy moves, drills with cones etc.
    Had a bit of an epiphany one day at practice watching u16 DA boys. First, they are very good with first touch and especially taking ball out of the air,to the point where that and first move is all a single fluid motion.
    But what really got my attention, when they have the ball there are no fancy moves. They simply use their superior ball control to get the defender off balance and/or to commit. They use very simple shoulder fakes and veins to do this. Once defender is off balance they are gone or are able to make the next pass.
    I was told along time ago. Watch what good athletes do. And do that!

9. TheKraken

TheKraken Member

United States
    Jun 21, 2017
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That basically describes Messi. He rarely does fancy moves. Just perfect timing and ball control.

bigredfutbol and NewDadaCoach repped this.
  10. Regista

Regista Member

Barcelona
    United States
    Feb 22, 2019
    There are simply to many young American players with fancy footskills but without the ability to dribble into space efficiently. These are oohs and ahhs types that are fancy and appear to be good soccer players.

They move from point A to B sideways with no purpose when the simplest play was straight with one off balance move or a simple pass with vision.

Efficient players are world class.