An Eintracht Braunschweig thread, feat. your host Alex_K [R]

Discussion in 'Germany: Clubs' started by Alex_K, Jun 15, 2011.

1. Alex_K

Alex_K Member+

Mar 23, 2002
    Braunschweig, Germany
    Club:
    Eintracht Braunschweig
    Nat'l Team:
    Bhutan
    Torsten Lieberknecht, now in his 8th year as head coach, has now overtaken Helmuth Johannsen as Eintracht Braunschweig's longest serving coach in the post-war era (not as the longest serving coach ever, though - no matter what the media is saying today. Georg Knöpfle was coach for 11 years back in the 30s/40s, but as usual everything pre-Bundesliga is kind of forgotten about :/). As overused as the term legend is these days, here it fits.

2. Alex_K

Alex_K Member+

Mar 23, 2002
    Braunschweig, Germany
    Club:
    Eintracht Braunschweig
    Nat'l Team:
    Bhutan
  3. Mailman44

Mailman44 Member

Aug 4, 2008
    Lithia
    Club:
    TSV 1860 München
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Any concerns with SV Sandhausen coming to town tomorrow? Looks like they had a very god preseason.

4. Alex_K

Alex_K Member+

Mar 23, 2002
    Braunschweig, Germany
    Club:
    Eintracht Braunschweig
    Nat'l Team:
    Bhutan
    Not more concerned than with any other opponent. It's a cliché that any team can win any given game in this league, but this doesn't mean it isn't true. On paper at least, Sandhausen probably have one of the weaker squads, though.

From the you heard it here first files: Eintracht have signed Swedisch U 21 Euro winner Joseph Baffo - according to reliable social media sources. Will most likely be officially confirmed soon.

5. Mailman44

Mailman44 Member

Aug 4, 2008
    Lithia
    Club:
    TSV 1860 München
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And SV Sandhausen make a statement with a 1-3 win on the road, I ddid not see that one coming.

6. Alex_K

Alex_K Member+

Mar 23, 2002
    Braunschweig, Germany
    Club:
    Eintracht Braunschweig
    Nat'l Team:
    Bhutan
    Meh, this happens. I still expect them to be one of the weaker teams in the league. And, fwiw, all three of there goals came from dead ball situations.

7. Dage

Dage Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 4, 2008
    Berlin
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    This Emil Berggreen has a great run. Big but quick and with great skills on the ball. Not bad ..

8. Alex_K

Alex_K Member+

Mar 23, 2002
    Braunschweig, Germany
    Club:
    Eintracht Braunschweig
    Nat'l Team:
    Bhutan
    120th anniversary!!! :thumbsup:

9. Alex_K

Alex_K Member+

Mar 23, 2002
    Braunschweig, Germany
    Club:
    Eintracht Braunschweig
    Nat'l Team:
    Bhutan
    The 120th anniversary choreography

10. Alex_K

Alex_K Member+

Mar 23, 2002
    Braunschweig, Germany
    Club:
    Eintracht Braunschweig
    Nat'l Team:
    Bhutan
  11. Bazi

Bazi Member+

Jan 15, 2009
    Wuerzburg (Germany)
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    I hope Hollerbach will be as loyal to Kickers Würzburg as Lieberknecht to Eintracht Braunschweig. Also good to see that the club kept its composure during some challenging times after getting relegated to the second division again.

12. Alex_K

Alex_K Member+

Mar 23, 2002
    Braunschweig, Germany
    Club:
    Eintracht Braunschweig
    Nat'l Team:
    Bhutan
    Lieberknecht has never been in any danger to get fired. He has a close relationship with both the president and the sporting director (and even was a member of the club's board himself for a time - he stepped down after becoming head coach in March 2008, but was originally part of the new club leadership that stepped in when the club was close to bankruptcy in 2007). There has been some criticism of him from the public, especially last year (and the local press doesn't like Lieberknecht much either) - but the club leadership knows well that he had to work with limited resources previously. A large part of the club's income has been used for infrastructure projects and to get out of the two-decades old deal with Kölmel, who had still owned the marketing rights. Only now the club is in a situation where a larger part of the budget can go into new players. This also works both ways - it was always clear that Lieberknecht would stay at the club, as long as he got bigger resources to build his team from now on.

13. Alex_K

Alex_K Member+

Mar 23, 2002
    Braunschweig, Germany
    Club:
    Eintracht Braunschweig
    Nat'l Team:
    Bhutan
    Happy 121st birthday!

Dage and Hobo repped this.
  14. Alex_K

Alex_K Member+

Mar 23, 2002
    Braunschweig, Germany
    Club:
    Eintracht Braunschweig
    Nat'l Team:
    Bhutan
    Has been a great season - 66 points would have been enough for promotion in pretty much every other season, but unfortunately this year you had two teams with two or three times the budget of a regular 2. Bundesliga team in the league.

I am looking forward to the next 2. Bundesliga season... especially for games against Holstein Kiel. I am getting all nostalgic, since I last saw a game against Kiel in the old Regionalliga Nord (there were some in the 3. Liga later, but I wasn't at any of those).

15. Alex_K

Alex_K Member+

Mar 23, 2002
    Braunschweig, Germany
    Club:
    Eintracht Braunschweig
    Nat'l Team:
    Bhutan
    Eintracht's U19 has won the German Youth Cup (3-0 vs Carl Zeiss Jena)! :notworthy:

BIGHMW repped this.
  16. BIGHMW

BIGHMW Member+

Oct 10, 2010
    Port Townsend, WA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hey guys, you gave this season a hell of a run, although you fell short of getting promoted in the two-leg playoff against us (Wolfsburg) as we staved off relegation, but my what a fanbase you guys have, I was quite impressed with the support you have selling out your stadium and also with the electricity you create, no wonder why visiting sides fear going in there!!! You sure gave us a run for our money and I hope you'll be up there to challenge for promotion next season (although not at our expense) the Lower Saxony should be proud to have 3 teams in the two top leagues in German football, you guys gave 100% effort and left it all out there on the football pitch this afternoon in that two-legged tie against us!!!

17. Bazi

Bazi Member+

Jan 15, 2009
    Wuerzburg (Germany)
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    @Alex_K Is this really going to be the end for Lieberknecht?