An Analysis of the Sports Sections in NYC (Or why few people know the Red Bulls exist in NYC)

Discussion in 'MLS: News & Analysis' started by tk421, May 22, 2011.

1. tk421

tk421 Member

Aug 11, 2007
    New York, NY
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

There has been a lot of griping on here about the lack of attendance at Red Bulls games when compared to teams like the LA Galaxy, Seattle, etc. People often wonder why, such a quality team can fail to sell out or at least get close to selling out their stadium. Especially when one looks at the number of soccer fans in the city (as seen when the World Cup occurs).

To show (one of) the reasons why this occurs, I captured the sports website homepages from the three big newspapers in the area, as well as the three big tv stations after yesterdays tie at Houston. I do this not to make excuses for the Red Bulls, but to show people how hard it is to break into the sports landscape in New York City. I chose this game because it was an exciting draw with the tying goal scored by the Red Bulls in the 90th minute which might generate some local interest.

Below are the results.
    New York Daily News - http://i.imgur.com/RmBXu.png
    • Typical example of Sports Media in New York
    • Dominated by Baseball coverage (I counted 9 articles)
    • Followed by the NFL
    • No mention of Red Bulls at all
    • No mention of soccer at all, not even on the top along the list of sports

New York Post - http://i.imgur.com/uZANJ.png

• Baseball the lead again, but with only 3 or 4 stories
    • Mention of the NHL and coverage of College Basketball are second
    • Soccer is displayed across the top list of Sports but nothing about the Red Bulls
    • When you click on Soccer you get a small story entitled “Red Bulls Rally for a tie” written by the AP, no local reporting is done

New York Times - http://i.imgur.com/eBhky.png
    • If there was a way to sum up the New York Times coverage, it would be Eurosnob
    • An article (and interesting one btw) about Messi
    • Baseball coverage and Basketball coverage dominate otherwise
    • Soccer is mentioned along with other sports across the top, but when you click on Soccer, no mention of the Red Bulls game at all

WCBS - http://i.imgur.com/u37jT.png
    • Finally someone puts it on the frontpage of the Sports
    • Small blurb about Red Bulls tying Houston
    • However it is an AP article, no local reporting is done

WABC - http://i.imgur.com/EWb9d.png
    • No mention of the Red Bulls
    • No mention of Soccer
    • Baseball/Hockey/Football dominate
    • Soccer doesn’t exist on this site as far as I can tell

WNBC - http://i.imgur.com/eImPO.png
    • Baseball again dominates
    • Nothing on soccer
    • Nothing on the Red Bulls

Final tally:
    • 1 site (WCBS) which talks about the Red Bulls tie on the front of the sports section
    • 1 site that puts Soccer on the front of sports section (NY Times) but doesn’t mention the Red Bulls
    • 1 site that mentions Soccer with other sports but you have to click on it to get anything regarding the Red Bulls
    • 3 Sites that don’t mention soccer or the Red Bulls at all

So in order for anyone to casually come across the Red Bulls, they would have to read WCBS’s website on the day after a game. Anywhere else in the New York media they would not casually be exposed to the Red Bulls or to the MLS.

Comments and questions are welcomed.

2. gears

gears Member

Sep 1, 2010
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The Post website usually has decent coverage written by Brian Lewis.

I think there's more to it than the media coverage, though. Teams in New Jersey just don't get great attendance -- the Nets and Devils (but especially the Nets) don't draw well for their league standards. It's just tough to get people into stadiums in this area. Even the Yankees-Mets game today at Yankee Stadium, a sell-out of 48,000, had a hell of a lot of empty seats.

3. Red Card

Red Card Member+

Mar 3, 1999
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Is it possible that ticket re-sellers got hold of a large number of seats and they couldn't get the price they demanded?

4. Jossed

Jossed Member+

Apr 23, 2011
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    The NY Times does cover the Red Bulls and MLS with Jack Bell. But they consider themselves an "international" paper so they sometimes have foreign soccer or sports stories that most ignore. The local sports stations, WFAN and ESPN1050, had the Red Bulls score during their sports updates. WCBS880 also gave you the score during their sports update.

Soccer coverage for NY is about what you would expect. You have to turn on the Spanish language networks to get any real coverage.

Of course the NY Cosmos would be back page news every day. :p But we take what we can get.

5. Sandon Mibut

Sandon Mibut Member+

Feb 13, 2001
    Ya know what would get media coverage in NYC? Cosmos! Someone should try and bring a team to NY and become the Cosmos.

6. Matrim55

Matrim55 Member+

Aug 14, 2000
    Berkeley
    Club:
    Connecticut
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And both basically do it pro bono.

They're underappreciated IMHO.

7. Len

Len Member+

Club: Dallas Tornado
    Jan 18, 1999
    Everywhere and Nowhere.....I'm the wind, baby.
    What a fresh idea, Sandon. I hope someone out there reads this and runs with it.

EDIT: Please read with the same amount of seriousness as the quoted post.

8. That's sad.

9. zensum

zensum Member+

Jan 22, 2008
    The Bronx, NYC
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    It's not just the Don Garber party line Red Bull actually wants a second team in the market and agrees that it can increase the profile of the league here in the press as well as the general public. They're mum on the possibility of it being F.cosmos but I'd be more wary of that outcome of I were them.

Just this week after more than a year of being on the fence Shep Messing finally declared for F.cosmos and Red Bull apparently is comfortable with him continuing as color commentator on the MSG broadcasts. I'm Bo Schembechler on this one as much as I like Shep we need a Red Bull man doing Red Bull broadcasts.

The press and broader media has changed dramatically here over the years as I guess it has just about everywhere. Long gone are the days when newspapers saw their charge as simply reporting on local sports. Now everything is geared towards not just leading but adequately covering only the stuff they think their readers are most interested in.

Hockey gets short shrift here with games played the night before by any of the three area teams including the Rangers typically buried deep in the section. This time of year it's baseball almost wall to wall. If F.cosmos/NY2 gets off the ground after a period of novelty coverage they too will learn this unfortunate reality.

10. Gamecock14

Gamecock14 Member+

May 27, 2010
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    I do not know why the Red bulls want to have another team near them. Historically, sports with a team in NJ or LI (Nets, Islanders, Devils) draw significantly less than the NYC teams (Rangers and Knicks). Though part of the allure may be MSG as a stadium. The media does not really give a non-NYC team as much hype as the city teams. NY does not do well like La in the NBA in terms of attendance with two teams. I dont know if its a lack of true fans or lots of fairweather fans.

11. Fiosfan

Fiosfan Red Card

Mar 21, 2010
    Nevada
    Club:
    New York City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    How cynical this sounds..
    The OP could have saved a lot of time by simply saying no one cares about soccer/NYRB in NY market.

12. Fiosfan

Fiosfan Red Card

Mar 21, 2010
    Nevada
    Club:
    New York City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    They all get it from news wire service called Associated Press.

13. Howard the Drake

Feb 27, 2010
    Is it possible that this media coverage (or lack thereof) is a trailing and not a leading indicator? I'm guessing that the lack of coverage has more to do with lack of real demand for it than some conspiracy to ignore the league.

14. mpruitt

mpruitt Member

Feb 11, 2002
    E. Somerville
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Agreed. If only there were some type of alternative media outlet available where we could follow and promote things #MLS related...

15. ignatz brick

ignatz brick Member

Dec 18, 2010
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well to be fair, the Yankees/Mets games were always going to dominate coverage! But I suspect it has to do with lack of interest, like most said. And I'm not from NY but I also think it has to do with location; having teams play in NJ is one thing, having a team in a league without a solid foothold in American culture play in NJ is another.

16. zensum

zensum Member+

Jan 22, 2008
    The Bronx, NYC
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    New York Cosmos...the real Cosmos.

17. Michael K.

Michael K. Member

Mar 3, 1999
    There or Thereabouts
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    A one-day snapshot of sports page website coverage really doesn't tell us that much useful or significant. "The mainstream NYC papers don't pay much attention to MLS" is about as no-s***-Sherlock an insight as you can get. A longer, broader, well-designed content analysis would probably reveal some interesting trends, but that's for someone else to bother with.

I happen to know a sports editor on the online side of one of the main NYC dailies; a worldly guy with some European heritage, a fan of soccer along with other sports. I know he's been to more RB matches than I have (not saying much there.) It isn't just an issue of crusty old ink-stained coots who need to die off so MLS can ascend to its rightful place in the back pages, or any such conspiracy. MLS, much less the experiment in Harrison, gets about as much attention from the mainstream press as either deserves given its ratings, crowds and place in the culture now. With all the other options out there for the MLS fan, I can't see why people are bothered what the tabloids or WFAN (to name another perennial bugaboo) do anyway.

18. Ganapper

Ganapper Member

Apr 5, 2009
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/New_York_Cosmos

Their best attendance was in New Jersey.

19. njndirish

njndirish Member

Jul 14, 2008
    Notre Dame, IN
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t6FUR_nhGX8"]YouTube - ‪trololololo (full version with lyrics as seen on the Colbert Report)‬‏[/ame]

20. tigersoccer2005

tigersoccer2005 Member+

Dec 1, 2003
    North Bergen, NJ
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    NY TIimes has soccer coverage but it is only once a week. NY Times doe s small column every tuesday euro+mls.

21. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    :confused: Why would he say something that isn't true? I'm puzzled.

22. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Crap, another thread that's going to descend into a Cosmos bitch-fest? Really?

23. tk421

tk421 Member

Aug 11, 2007
    New York, NY
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Seriously..that was not my intention. Sigh.

24. Red Card

Red Card Member+

Mar 3, 1999
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    NYC has a weak domestic soccer fan base. Otoh, there is huge international soccer fan base in NYC, which will turn out for summer friendlies, watch euro/sa/mex matches on tv and watch the World Cup. But that's where the interest for those fans stops.

During the late spring, summer, early fall, NYC is the foremost baseball city in the country. They built two baseball palaces here at tremendous cost, and the pro teams here are among the top spenders for baseball talent. So in addition to weak domestic soccer fanbase, the competition for sports media attention is enormous.

What happened with the Cosmos many years ago, was a unique situation. Special players, a dominating team, a weak league, players that were allowed to party at famous nightclubs, and no connection to USA development. A second NYC team, named Cosmos or not, would not resemble that scenario. NYC2 could be a boom or a bust, and could either help or hurt RBNY. No guarantees of what the outcome will be.

25. Beau Dure

Beau Dure Member+

May 31, 2000
    Vienna, VA
    The Daily News site architecture is curious because they have a couple of knowledgeable soccer guys in Filip and Stefan Bondy, plus other people they can call on (like Michael Lewis for many years).

The NYT's Goal blog is terrific, though it's certainly Jack Bell's labor of love. They have contributions from Tim Ream and Yael Averbuch, and they're able to call in content from Jere Longman or Rob Hughes. But yes, it's a mix of priorities between international, national and local. (Of course, so is Soccer Insider at the Post.)

What you really have in the NY market is decent soccer content for people to find if they're looking for it, but not much that would make casual fans more aware of the Red Bulls.