An American college journalist's report from Beirut

Discussion in 'International News' started by nicodemus, Jul 27, 2006.

1. nicodemus

nicodemus Member+

Sep 3, 2001
    Cidade Mágica
    Club:
    PAOK Saloniki
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    My apologies if someone has posted this already:

A journalism student from my school (University of Alabama) was doing an internship at a paper in Beirut and has been stuck there since the start of the fighting. The article is about a week old (I just read it for the first time though), but I thought everyone might be interested to see a view of from the ground:

On the Front Lines of War

There are some idiotic responses (from both sides) in the comments section, but I thought the article was an interesting read.

An excerpt:

2. DamonEsquire

DamonEsquire BigSoccer Supporter

Sep 16, 2002
    Kentucky
    Club:
    Leeds United AFC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yes a very tough situation and it could create problems for her. I just hope. I'll just say both sides are problematic and have attacked the USA. Some of those bombings are illrelevent accept to divert man power and not worry about other things. If Ground Forces had to go up there. That rubble could demorialize intrest in a heartbeat.

3. Dr Jay

Dr Jay BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 7, 1999
    Newton, MA USA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I wonder what an Iranian college student in Haifa would be thinking right now ?

4. christopher d

christopher d New Member

Jun 11, 2002
    Weehawken, NJ
    Fine article, even if it could be a little more detached. Good for her -- it probably won her a career.

5. BenReilly

BenReilly New Member

Apr 8, 2002
    In related news, FOX really is fair and balanced!

6. JBigjake

JBigjake Member+

Nov 16, 2003
    "I am ... unable to relate to my own side."
    "It's true - my tax dollars bought the bombs ..."
    "It also hurts me to go back to a country that is painfully unaware of their plight, to a people who do not understand that the realities on the ground here do not fit neatly into their tidy American, democratic, peaceful worldviews. They just don't. And unless Americans accept that, they will never understand life - and death - here in the Middle East."

As my father-in-law often says: "I'm not young enough to know everything!" How many tax dollars has this college student actually paid? Our tax dollars have gone to both sides in this conflict.

7. Belgian guy

Belgian guy Member+

Club Brugge
    Belgium
    Aug 19, 2002
    Belgium
    Club:
    Club Brugge KV
    You father-in-law is James Matthew Barrie?

8. JBigjake

JBigjake Member+

Nov 16, 2003
    I didn't say that he authored the quotation, just that he makes frequent use of it when faced with yet another conclusory statement made by an all-knowing young adult.

9. Belgian guy

Belgian guy Member+

Club Brugge
    Belgium
    Aug 19, 2002
    Belgium
    Club:
    Club Brugge KV
    Moi? :eek:

10. JBigjake

JBigjake Member+

Nov 16, 2003
    Oui! :D

11. Rostam

Rostam Member

Dec 11, 2005
    It's a touching story, what a sad situation! Thanx for sharing and helping everyone see the truth.