An Administration NOT Governed by Polls??

Discussion in 'Politics & Current Events' started by Revolt, Jun 30, 2005.

1. Revolt

Revolt Member+

Jun 16, 1999
    Davis, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I thought that Bush said he doesn't govern by poll. So, why is this appearing in the press? For me, this brings out all my worst fears about BushCo. On one hand, they claim to be conducting the war based on principle alone, but when this kind of stuff comes out, one has to wonder what actions BushCo is taking in Iraq soley to prop up public opinion here.

2. Mel Brennan

Mel Brennan PLANITARCHIS' BANE

Paris Saint Germain
    United States
    Apr 8, 2002
    Baltimore
    Club:
    Paris Saint Germain FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  3. DJPoopypants

DJPoopypants New Member

I cannot blame the admin for this, even if my tax dollars are once again being used for partisan lies.

Bush does spin in the wind according to public opinion (9/11 commission, testifying, intelligence reform, etc)

If he truly feels Iraq is worth it, then he is within is rights to do his best to try to convince americans, so that polls don't make him change his mind for political expediency

4. verybdog

verybdog New Member

Jun 29, 2001
    Houyhnhnms
    They don't if you believe them.

5. verybdog

verybdog New Member

Jun 29, 2001
    Houyhnhnms
    Let's blame the public opinion, which is not always informed and correct.

6. NHRef

NHRef Member+

Apr 7, 2004
    Southern NH
    This can also be read the other way, that he has his mind made up, but is looking to put a spin on it to lead public opinion the way he needs it to go. Sort of like marketting, a bad idea with good marketting can be hugely successfull. A great idea with horrible marketting will fail.

7. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Revolt...they're NOT basing policy on the information. They're not "governing" by polls. They're basing how to get the public behind their policy on the information. Completely different, and totally legitimate.

8. Revolt

Revolt Member+

Jun 16, 1999
    Davis, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I see it differently: BushCo is again changing the story on why we are in Iraq - this time to clearly suit polling trends. Its done all the time - and BushCo certainly isn't the only administration to have ever done this. So, that aspect is letigmate enough in relative terms.

I take BushCo to task on this because they specifically say polls don't influence the Iraq policy. I wanted to point this example out as yet another example of BushCo mendacity.

9. MasterShake29

MasterShake29 Member+

Oct 28, 2001
    Jersey City, NJ
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Depends how you define policy. If you define his policy as overthrowing Saddam and getting a functioning democracy in there by use of the millitary, then the policy has been consistent.

In which case he's polling on how best to get his message across. I'm not big on the feds spending money on pollsters, but if you're ok with that then I think you have to see this as legit. As you say, he's not the first.

10. Hard Karl

Hard Karl New Member

Sep 3, 2002
    WB05 Compound
    I hate the phrase "craft the message"... to me that sounds like "let's outright lie or just see how ambiguous we can get".

Dear Politicians,

I don't want to hear your "message", I want to hear the straight story.

11. Revolt

Revolt Member+

Jun 16, 1999
    Davis, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    But the larger problem is BushCo has NOT been consistent about why we need to be there. First it was Winnebagoes of Death and WMD, then it was Capital D Democracy, now its the war on terror and that's a battle we have to win.

Its okay, though, I'll just do a little Johnny Flame number in the corner by myself.

Meanwhile, Froomkin has a take:

This is fascinating (to a guy on fire on the corner):

12. Revolt

Revolt Member+

Jun 16, 1999
    Davis, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And more: