Amsterdam question

Discussion in 'The Netherlands' started by BhoysFC1995, Aug 2, 2002.

1. BhoysFC1995

BhoysFC1995 New Member

Nov 30, 1999
    NYC
    i will be there september 20-23. does anyone know if Ajax is home that saturday or sunday?

also, anyone suggest any good places (based on experience) to go at night. i am staying at the Arena hotel, is that good?

thanks.

2. nobody

nobody Member+

Jun 20, 2000
    If you're not easily offended, go to Hanky Panky in the Red Light District. Most places sell either alcohol or hash, but the bar over the tattoo shop sells both. I know a couple more do too, but this is the only one I remember off hand.

Regardless, you'll have a great time anywhere. Just remember to take in the considerable cultural offerings as well as the parties. Amsterdam is a great city. The museums are wonderful and the Concertgabeauw (which I'm sure is mispelled) offers free afternoon concerts on many occasions.

3. Parkhead_Faithful

Parkhead_Faithful New Member

Dec 19, 2001
    Glasgow,Scotland
    the last bhoy in a strip club in amsterdam got a bullet in his chest btw :D
    you have been warned;)

4. Frieslander

Frieslander Member
    Staff Member

Feb 14, 2000
    North Jersey
    it looks like you already have hotel reservations... that's good. Amsterdam sells out every weekend believe it or not. You'd think a country that's been reclaiming land for thousands of years could reclaim some more so they could build another hotel!

5. RutgerB

RutgerB New Member

Jul 7, 2000
    occupied Dietsland
    Excelsior - AZ vr 20/9 vb
    Willem II - NEC za 21/9 vb
    NAC - FC Twente za 21/9 vb
    FC Zwolle - PSV za 21/9 vb
    RBC Roosendaal - Ajax za 21/9 vb
    Feyenoord - De Graafschap zo 22/9 vb
    Vitesse - RKC Waalwijk zo 22/9 vb
    Roda JC - SC Heerenveen zo 22/9 vb
    FC Groningen - FC Utrecht zo 22/9

6. paulo

paulo Member

Feb 13, 2002
    Atlanta
    gotta go to Boom Chicago improv comedy (in English) bunch of midwest kids making fun of life in Amsterdam. Bit of advice, the jokes will be even funnier if you go with a North American living in Amsterdam.

Oh and afterwards get the trappist ale triple at a pub with excellent "gezellig".

Amsterdam is probably my favorite European City.

7. RutgerB

RutgerB New Member

Jul 7, 2000
    occupied Dietsland
    Are there no-born-Americans ? Who find Boom Chicago funny ? :p

8. paulo

paulo Member

Feb 13, 2002
    Atlanta
    Not sure what a no-born American is. But, I think that the Dutch persons in the audience enjoyed the show as much as my friends and I did. I did not mean to imply that the show is for tourists. It is funny for people who know a bit of Dutch culture, a bit of North American culture and speak English (which is nearly everyone in Amsterdam). If you speak only Dutch or don't know anything about US and young adult pop culture - not only would you be a rare find in The Netherlands but you wouldn't enjoy the show very much.

9. big spaniel

big spaniel Member

Nov 18, 1999
    Arlington, Virginia
    If Ajax isn't playing at home, don't worry. Travel to a game elsewhere in Holland. Holland has excellent train service, and you can get to most cities in two hours or less. For example, NAC Breda (featuring our own Earnie Stweart) is playing that weekend, and it's about an hour and three-quarters on the train. The trains should run late enough in the evening that will allow you to get back to Amsterdam in the evening.

The most important thing to do is to check ahead for date and time of game. Sometimes in Europe they will change for one reason or the other. Consult the papers or the weekly soccer magazine (Votebal or something like that.) All Dutch towns have wonderful tourism offices full of people who speak better English that you or I who are happy to help you.

Also in Amsterdam go eat Indonesian food. The best place I've found is Saba Sabo, near the Rijksmuseum. They have something called "rijstaffle" (i.e., "rice table") which is two dozen different little dishes. Marvelous. Go hungry.

Again, double-check about the time and venue for matches. I went to one town for a second-division game, and it was actually an away game, so I screwed myself.

10. BhoysFC1995

BhoysFC1995 New Member

Nov 30, 1999
    NYC
    thanks all.

nobody,

"hanky panky", eh? i wonder what goes on there ;)

if i recall correctly, Ajax is the only team in amsterdam, right? and according to RutgerB (thanks btw) it seems like Ajax is away.

oh, lol, parkhead_faithful, don't worry- i'll leave my colors at home.

11. sleekmeek

sleekmeek New Member

Jun 29, 2001
    Carpinteria CA
    Try the Banana Bar.

NAC vs. Twente looks like it would be worth the train ride.

Cheers, have fun.
    Sleek

12. ruudboy

ruudboy New Member

Jul 6, 2000
    Sunnyvale
    Smoke hella ganja, and get some booty!

13. Crewman Q

Crewman Q New Member

Feb 8, 2000
    Media, Pa. 19063 USA
    Just wanted to chime in on this discussion. I can recommend three restaurants in Amsterdam which I've gone to on each of my four trips over the last two years. The first is La Paella, located at 41-43 Warmoestraat. Great Spanish food. The seafood paella is excellent. The second is the Indian Curry and Grill House, located at #7 Muntplein. You can take the 4,9,14, 16,24 ,or 25 trams from Centraal Station. The third is the Wagamama Noodle house...all types of Eastern food...near Leidseplein.

I agree with the comments about Boom Chicago being hilarious and a gr8 night out and about the rail system being first class.

Two Ajax bars come to mind also: Soccer World ,located at the ArenA, and The Ajax Cafe, located at Prins Hendrikcade, a stone's throw from Centraal Station.

Second to last, if you have the time, check out the calendar on Ajax.nl for training sessions...usually about 10:30 am...which are held on pitches adjacent to the ArenA. They are open to the public and free.

Also, Jong Ajax, the reserve side which made the Amstel Cup semis last season,play Saturday afternoons. A good chance to see tomorrows stars.Home matches are at De Toekomst, near the ArenA. Matches are free and there is a clubhouse with bar.

14. improv

improv New Member

Apr 3, 2002
    You don't have to go to a match to have fun. If I were you I would go to their practise ground. They practise two times a day so you can see them in person.

By the way. In the second division ADO den haag will play Sparta. They are the two favourites fot the promotion and the second division is always cool to see.

15. ajaxusa

ajaxusa Member

Jul 6, 1999