America's Energy Use

Discussion in 'Politics & Current Events' started by steve-o, Mar 5, 2009.

1. steve-o

steve-o New Member

Nov 14, 2007
    Per year:
    Total energy use: 28.4 billion Megawatt-hours
    Total electricity use: 4.18 billion Megawatt-hours

Total energy per barrel of oil: 17.3 billion barrels
    Total electricity per barrel of oil: 2.5 billion barrels

Per day:
    Total energy per barrel: 47.4 million barrels
    Total electricity per barrel: 6.87 million barrels

*One barrel of oil yields 1.64 Megawatt-hours of energy

Of that, 85% was produced from coal, oil, or natural gas; the remaining 15% was mostly from nuclear, with contributions from renewable sources. (2007 numbers)

[​IMG]

Renewable vs. Hydrocarbon Energy

EIA

2. Matt in the Hat

Matt in the Hat Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 21, 2002
    Brooklyn
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Is there a point to this? And how do you measure power in barrels?

3. steve-o

steve-o New Member

Nov 14, 2007
    The point is that renewable energy, while admirable, is going to come nowhere close to meeting the energy needs of the US. Hydroelectric is already capped. As the article stated, solar and wind can only be used when the weather favors it. You cannot efficiently store electricity for reuse later. Yes, there are batteries, but that would be a big battery, and they are DC only. The current US power system is AC. That is a problem.

Also from the article:
    Another point would be it's just relevant to know how much energy America consumes.

For the record, I never said anything about power. Power and energy are different. So, it would be rather hard to measure power in barrels. Since, the two are often used interchangeably, although wrong, here you go:

4. saosebastiao

saosebastiao New Member

May 22, 2005
    I think he was referring to this:

5. Barbara

Barbara BigSoccer Supporter

Apr 29, 2000
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yay! Another night, another math thread.

6. saosebastiao

saosebastiao New Member

May 22, 2005
    There are literally hundreds of power storage techniques...batteries are but a few in comparison.

7. steve-o

steve-o New Member

Nov 14, 2007
    Like?

8. Matt in the Hat

Staff Member

Sep 21, 2002
    Brooklyn
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    1) We need more nukes

2) Power is energy x time. Watts a measure of energy. KWH is a measure of power.

9. steve-o

steve-o New Member

Nov 14, 2007
    1) Whatever you say.

2)
    That conversion will be on most energy companies annual reports.

10. saosebastiao

saosebastiao New Member

May 22, 2005
    flywheels, capacitors, thermal storage(theres like fifty different techniques for thermal storage alone), hydrogen conversion, superconducting magnetic storage, compressed air, hydraulic accumulator, hydroelectric pumping.

They all have advantages and disadvantages...the point is that batteries are not our only storage medium. For grid applications, almost all of these types are better than batteries (well, not capacitors, but they are better for power buffering).

11. steve-o

steve-o New Member

Nov 14, 2007
    Is this along the same lines as a hydrogen fuel cell? I've talked with a buddy numerous times about energy/power and he would always tell me that while hydrogen is the cleanest burning resource, it is extremely rare.

12. Matt in the Hat

Staff Member

Sep 21, 2002
    Brooklyn
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You don't think the US needs more nuclear power? Wouldn't that go a long way?

The paragraph you quoted is in MWH, a measurement of power.

13. steve-o

steve-o New Member

Nov 14, 2007
    Sorry, forgot the "equivalent" after the barrels.

14. Matt in the Hat

Staff Member

Sep 21, 2002
    Brooklyn
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I thought hydrogen was the most abundant element in the universe.

15. Matt in the Hat

Staff Member

Sep 21, 2002
    Brooklyn
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Got it now. thanks

16. saosebastiao

saosebastiao New Member

May 22, 2005
    No...the hydrogen fuel cell is typically what is used to convert the hydrogen back into electricity.

Converting water into hydrogen takes your electrical energy and makes it chemical, which can be stored and converted back into electrical energy on demand.

17. steve-o

steve-o New Member

Nov 14, 2007
    Yes, I do think it could. It's clean and affordable, as far as I know; I have heard once that the cost of converting the plutonium to be useable almost negates any gains made. The only problem is the spent fuel. Seems redundant to go from one "dirty" energy source to another.

Right, thanks for pointing that out. That's why I said I forgot the "equivalent," BOE - barrel of oil equivalent. I'm sure you've seen that.

18. Matt in the Hat

Staff Member

Sep 21, 2002
    Brooklyn
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The French are able to process their spent fuel and reuse it. Why can't we?

19. steve-o

steve-o New Member

Nov 14, 2007
    Does the amount of energy needed to break the hydrogen bond cancel out any gains? Or can it be done on a larger scale to make it more efficient?

Is this what you're talking about? BlackLight

I

20. steve-o

steve-o New Member

Nov 14, 2007
    Never said that we couldn't. What about the residual that is left over? There has to be some sort of waste after reprocessing. I imagine they are essentially re-injecting isotopes back into the fuel rods, where are they getting them?

I was able to find this about recycling:

21. steve-o

steve-o New Member

Nov 14, 2007
    It is, but it is always coupled with another element.

From Wiki:

22. ElJefe

ElJefe Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 16, 1999
    Colorful Colorado
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The problem is that on this planet, the vast majority of it has chemical bonds to something else, like oxygen. And to get it alone, you usually have to expend energy.

23. JeremyEritrea

JeremyEritrea Member+

Jun 29, 2006
    Takoma Park, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    [​IMG]

24. MattR

MattR Member+

Jun 14, 2003
    Reston
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The reasons to go nuclear are varied, and I don't want to write a white paper.

Let's put it this way: Uranium is cheap, it is available in such horrific hotbeds of terrorism as Australia, Canada, and Wyoming. There are advantages to having a little bit of radioactive stuff after 5 or so years, rather than constantly belching out smoke.

Eh, let's face it - the "radioactivity" gives nuclear a bad rap, but it's probably the most shovel-ready option we have.

25. Foosinho

Foosinho New Member

Jan 11, 1999
    New Albany, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    But the plants necessary to safely extract the energy are not. And they take a long time to construct.

You want instant energy replacement? Ethanol/methanol. And no, I don't necessarily mean corn (tho, worldwide there is plenty enough arable land). Methanol can be made out of virtually any biomass. The local landfill could generate gasoline for a portion of the local demand.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vAUmFjHxI1c"]YouTube - Robert Zubrin: Energy Victory and Winning the War on Terror[/ame]

If you've got a lot of time...

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NLRuGUPkyh4"]YouTube - Authors@Google: Dr. Robert Zubrin[/ame]

The idea that it costs more energy to make ethanol than it produces is hogwash - Brazil has been doing this for 30 years, and they export the stuff.

Of course, this is just one tiny piece of the solution. Really, we need to reduce consumption. Current levels are unsustainable. And we need to replace current sources with renewable sources as much as possible.