America's Cup

Discussion in 'Other Sports' started by empennage, Oct 1, 2002.

1. empennage

empennage Member

Jan 4, 2001
    Phoenix, AZ
    Yes it's boring, and yes it's yachting. But as any red blooded american should, I root for americans in competitions. So here's an article on the first races of the America's Cup:

http://www.signonsandiego.com/news/uniontrib/tue/sports/news_1s1amcup.html

AUCKLAND, New Zealand – All three American yachting syndicates scored victories last night (San Diego time) as the America's Cup challenger trials opened on the Hauraki Gulf.

All I know about the race is that the Kiwis are the current holders, and that Dennis Connor et al are trying to get the cup back. If anybody else knows more info feel free to post.

2. Alberto

Alberto Member+

Feb 28, 2000
    Northern, New Jersey
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The Americas Cup is yacht racing's most prestigeous prize it was won back in 1851 by the yacht America off the coast of England and has been contested for every 3-4 years. It was permanently bolted in the New York Yacht Club for about 125 years until Australia won the cup from Dennis Conner in 1977 off Newport rhode island. It is a huge expense to race these boats. They cost 10's of millions of dollars to fabricate and take 10-15 crewmen. After Australia won in 1977, the lost their defense to Dennis Conner off Fremantle Australia. Since then Kiwi Magic defeated Conner again and brought the Americas Cup to New Zealand where the Kiwi's successfully defended the cup winning against the Italian boat Prada in 2000.

The winner of the challenger series wins the Louis Vuitton Cup. The finals will be held in the winter and spring of 2003

3. Lucid

Lucid Member

May 17, 1999
    San Francisco, CA
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Team Oracle's expenses is $100 million. :eek:

Team Oracle (formerly AmericaOne) is run by Larry Ellison, CEO of Oracle. Man, how much does his life suck right now... he's already got more money than he can freakin spend, but he gets to take all this time off work to go sailing. I'm so jealous.

Anyways... I'm geeked that the LV cup has started, I eat this stuff up. :D

4. Alberto

Alberto Member+

Feb 28, 2000
    Northern, New Jersey
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    ESPN is not covering the Vuitton Cup it's being telecast by some bullocks network. Is it the outdoor network?

5. SueB

SueB New Member

Mar 23, 1999
    Waterbury, VT
    The Outdoor Life Network, to be precise (OLN).

6. Lucid

Lucid Member

May 17, 1999
    San Francisco, CA
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Yup, and luckily I get it on my cable system. :D

7. Alberto

Alberto Member+

Feb 28, 2000
    Northern, New Jersey
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I like hiking, but that is one of the station on my satellite system I just click past. I don't think I have ever watched a show that held my interest for more than a few seconds on that station.

8. art

art Member

Jul 2, 2000
    Portland OR
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Actually is was 1983, and 17 crew total (including the rich guy they always have on as the 17th). But hey.

Me, I'm rooting for the Swiss. Their team kicks ass, and, well, it's the Swiss (well sort of). They never get to win anything outside of skiing.

9. ndcheg

ndcheg New Member

Mar 26, 2001
    Greensboro, NC
    They have cycling that I like watching, Tour de France and Vuelta el Espana. Other than that there is nothing else worth watching.

10. bestianera

bestianera New Member

May 21, 2001
    Valvasone
    i don't find it boring at all,the match race is quite spectacular but it'll get more interesting in later stages when the boats will be all competitive and we'll get closer races