Americans using English terms.

Discussion in 'Soccer in the USA' started by southpaw817, Oct 23, 2007.

1. Marko72

Marko72 Member+

Aug 30, 2005
    New York
    Nah, don't think I've said that since childhood.

2. Roger Allaway

Roger Allaway Member+

Apr 22, 2009
    Warminster, Pa.
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Maybe more likely that he picked it up as a kid. Harkes grew up in a town that was heavily populated by immigrants from Scotland, including both of Harkes' parents.

3. bigredfutbol

bigredfutbol Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 5, 2000
    Woodbridge, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I knew that, but I wasn't sure if the phrase is British or more specifically English.

4. RichardL

RichardL BigSoccer Supporter

May 2, 2001
    Berkshire
    Club:
    Reading FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Either way, I've never heard anyone here referring to a turnover as being anything other than one team giving the ball away.

OK, there's an apple turnover, but even John Motson would struggle to shoehorn that into a commentary. Maybe Stuart Hall.

5. nicklaino

nicklaino Member+

Feb 14, 2012
    Brooklyn, NY
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    That is right I used to say it as a kid. But evidently every once and a while i revert back to a kid :)

I even use terms like "GO wild when a player does something good"

6. nicklaino

nicklaino Member+

Feb 14, 2012
    Brooklyn, NY
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    You know if a player plays for your club even for one game you can call him one of your clubs former players. He played for our club for only one game as a 19 year old, and we can call him a former Brooklyn Italian.

7. nicklaino

nicklaino Member+

Feb 14, 2012
    Brooklyn, NY
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    I never heard it called a turnover either. When the question was asked on the coaching part I did not even answer it untill someone else called it a takeover.

8. Ferdinand Cesarano

NYCFC
    Sep 21, 2005
    New York City
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Quoting myself to follow-up: on last night's Sky Sports News, Mike Wedderburn said "two to nothing" both to give the result of Game 2 of the World Series, and also to describe the Giants' lead in games.

So the Giants won two-to-nothing; and Liverpool won one-nil. This feels right to me.

I'd ask anyone who has been able to catch any BBC Radio sports reports during the World Series to take note of how they say it on there.

9. Roger Allaway

Roger Allaway Member+

Apr 22, 2009
    Warminster, Pa.
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I hear "zip" as a synonym for "zero" all the time, but I don't think it means exactly the same thing. It has a little bit of a sneering connotation that "zero" doesn't. "Zilch" has even more of a sneering connotation.

10. Bookmesir

Bookmesir Member

Oct 14, 2012
    Club:
    FC Aarau
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Nil is derived from Latin, nihil, which means nothing. Nihilism is a political derivative.
    Tennis uses "love" universally to mean zero points. there is no parallel derivative for "love." hey, that's catchy, isn't it? Not.

To call someone a poser for using Brit English football/soccer terms is a bit of an exaggeration and over generalization (not spelled with an "s").

If the Jim Rome's of the US-centric sportscasting world want to make fun of the sport and belittle it as less than worthy, let them. Personally, I think Jim Rome is an asshole and anyone who agrees with his point of view ain't gonna make or break the success of soccer in this country.

Hill Giant repped this.