American teen playing for Brazil?

Discussion in 'Women's Fans and More' started by StarCityFan, Mar 20, 2008.

1. StarCityFan

StarCityFan BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 2, 2001
    Greenbelt, MD
    Club:
    Washington Freedom
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I heard about this - of all places - from the afternoon host for our local classical music station, who picks news items he finds interesting off the wire (or the Internet equivalent) and shares them:

American teen a star in Brazil's Under-20 squad

2. Brazil_1500

Brazil_1500 Member

Nov 3, 2003
    NY
    she born in Brazil so she is Brazilian...

3. AcesHigh

AcesHigh Member+

Nov 30, 2005
    Novo Hamburgo
    Club:
    Gremio Porto Alegre
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    but she was born to american parents who lived in São Paulo, and lived only 2 yrs in Brazil before her parents returned to US. But she travelled to Brazil sometimes.

She speaks only a little portuguese.

But yes, being born in Brazil, she automatically has double citizenship.

A more complete article, by Associated Press

SAO PAULO, Brazil (AP) -- An American teenager is making a splash in Brazilian women's soccer.

Leah Lynn Gabriela Fortune, a 17-year-old who speaks very little Portuguese and goes to school in the United States, is attracting a lot of attention as a member of Brazil's Under-20 squad.
    ADVERTISEMENT

Not only is Fortune an American playing for Brazil, she also uses a novel throw-in move that has made the highlight reels in sports shows across Brazil.

To the delight of fans, Fortune has in her bag of tricks the flip throw, in which she does a front flip with the ball in her hands and can propel it some 30 meters and into the penalty area.

Though she's playing for Brazil in the South American Under-20 championships this week, she can also represent the United States and is a member of the U.S. Olympic Development Program.

The green-eyed blonde has dual citizenship after being born in Brazil to American parents.

Fortune has until she's 21 to decide which national team she prefers, but for now she has no doubt.

"I just love Brazil and I love Brazilian soccer," Fortune told The Associated Press on Wednesday in a telephone interview. "The style and the coaches are great and all the girls are amazing. They bring so much energy into the game. It's been an incredible experience to play with Brazil's Under-20 team."

Fortune has started for the tournament host, which won the title Sunday by beating Argentina 3-0. The Brazilians won all seven matches, outscoring opponents 30-0. Brazil and Argentina earned a spot in the world championships.

Fortune developed her flip throw with the help of skills learned as a young gymnast. Against Paraguay, she catapulted the ball more than 20 yards to the edge of the penalty box, it was deflected back by another Brazilian player and striker Pamela headed it in from close range to help Brazil win 5-0.

The image was a highlight on most Brazilian sports shows.

"I do a front handspring with the ball to get more distance and more force," she said.

Fans love the play, and it has made Fortune one of the team's most popular players. After every match, she is quickly surrounded by kids requesting autographs.

"I'm just glad to be in the position I'm in right now," she said.

Fortune was born in 1990, when her parents lived in Sao Paulo. The family moved back to Chicago when she was 2, and she has returned to Brazil sporadically.

She visited as part of the Team Chicago soccer program, but Brazilian coaches noticed Fortune's talent when she came for a tournament with the U.S. Olympic Development Program in March 2007, and immediately invited her to play for Brazil.

"I was definitely excited when they told me," she said. "I knew it was an amazing opportunity."

Alexandre Mathias, director of Team Chicago Brasil, an affiliate of the U.S. program, said Fortune's physical strength sets her apart in the Brazilian Under-20s. Normally a striker, Fortune has been playing at left back for Brazil.

"She has great speed and great power," Mathias said. "She can shoot well with both legs."

Brazil has never had a foreigner playing in the senior women's team, but it wouldn't be the first time Americans played for other international teams.

"We have had some playing for Italy, Ireland, New Zealand, Mexico and Canada," said Aaron Heifetz, the media officer for the U.S. women's national team.

Fortune still goes to school in the United States, so she cannot commit to Brazilian soccer full-time. She said she will "keep coming back" to play whenever she is called up for the national team because one of her dreams is to play for Brazil in an Olympics or World Cup.

Fortune, a fan of two-time FIFA player of the year Marta, is yet to master Portuguese, the country's official language, but says she has learned enough "to talk to the girls and figure out what they are saying."

"They are all very helpful, I can't thank them enough," she said.

The Brazilians are just as grateful to her.

4. AcesHigh

AcesHigh Member+

Nov 30, 2005
    Novo Hamburgo
    Club:
    Gremio Porto Alegre
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    the funny thing is the AP article mentioning specifically she is blonde and green eyed... like if there were no blonde green eyed brazilians.

when I first saw her in the brazilian team, I didnt know she was american. I just thought she was from Rio Grande do Sul, Santa Catarina or Paraná states... which are full of blonde green eyed people, or maybe even from São Paulo, Rio de Janeiro or Espirito Santo.

a video of Leah and her flips
    [youtube]ep7fuFnuKeo[/youtube]

5. hocho

hocho New Member

Sep 14, 2005
    Braintree
    Holy Cow!

[​IMG]

6. Bonnie Lass

Bonnie Lass Moderator
    Staff Member

Lyon
    Norway
    Oct 20, 2000
    Up top
    Club:
    Olympique Lyonnais
    Eh. No different than Kim Pickup's.

7. MRAD12

MRAD12 Member+

Jun 10, 2004
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    I think Michele Wiessenhofer of Notre Dame actually does a better flip throw.

8. SccrDon

SccrDon Member+

Dec 4, 2001
    Colorado Springs
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    so much for the tactical sophistication of Brazilians - the flip throw is a gimmick - a little more distance but a lot less control.

Really looks cool, though.

9. WCC05

WCC05 New Member

Jan 5, 2005
    California
    Kiki Bosio of SCU and the U23 Nats also does the flip throw really well. Since ND and SCU will meet early this fall at ND, you can see Kiki and Michelle on the same field, and compare notes. Will be an interesting game, as ND will be pumped up after the loss at SCU last year, and SCU will be back at full strength after last year's injuries are healed.

10. morjam

morjam New Member

Feb 5, 2007
    Wiessenhofer and Fortune both learned their flip throw-in from Fortune's father while playing club for him at a young age. Wiessenhofer played with Leah's oldest sister at the time.

11. Stepup

Stepup New Member

Aug 21, 2008
    Club:
    Sky Blue FC
    Tisha Venturini was doing flip throws long ago. She had a hair style to go with it. I always liked her energy.

12. nan

nan New Member

Aug 6, 1999
    Los Angeles, USA
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    I also noticed Leah during the U20 World Cup but did not even think to question her nationality. The truth is, there are a lot of Brazilians that look like her. Hello! Look at Gisele Bundchen!

It is weird that a girl from Chicago would choose to play for Brazil though. I'm guessing no one from the USWNT called. Oh well, the US's loss is Brazil's gain.

Regarding her throw-in...its known as the "Pickup Throw" named after Kim Pickup who made them famous during her years at Santa Clara.

13. lisanp

lisanp New Member

Oct 19, 2008
    tennessee
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Honestly, I hate the flip throw. Its such a gimmick. It just seems a bit unprofessional, kinda silly. Just thow the ball dude.

14. futbolwest

futbolwest New Member

Nov 13, 2009
    Club:
    Cruz Azul Hidalgo
    How does someone find information on tryouts for other national team tryouts?