American Survey Info

Discussion in 'Spirituality & Religion' started by Sakatei, Sep 28, 2010.

1. GiancarloC

GiancarloC Member

Sep 4, 2010
    LA, California
    Club:
    AC Milan
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    Very weak at best. That line of thought went out of date years ago.

A heterosexual guy raised by a gay couple will still be heterosexual.

And many homosexual men aren't "gay acting" and are just like everyone else. Stereotyping isn't good. Ones sexuality doesn't necessarily take over who they are.

As the other poster said... it's a little paranoid to think that way.

Also the APA have said same sex households are perfectly capable of raising children.

http://www.apa.org/helpcenter/sexual-orientation.aspx

"Yes. Studies comparing groups of children raised by homosexual and by heterosexual parents find no developmental differences between the two groups of children in four critical areas: their intelligence, psychological adjustment, social adjustment, and popularity with friends. It is also important to realize that a parent's sexual orientation does not indicate their children's.

Another myth about homosexuality is the mistaken belief that gay men have more of a tendency than heterosexual men to sexually molest children. There is no evidence to suggest that homosexuals or bisexuals molest children at a higher rate than heterosexuals."

Article corroborating this statement:
    http://www.apa.org/about/governance/council/policy/parenting.aspx

----

Take it as you wish.

2. StiltonFC

StiltonFC He said to only look up -- Guster

Mar 18, 2007
    SoCal
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    just because someone thinks "a line of thought went out of date" doesn't mean that it was never valid. can you imagine that it would be confusing to a 11or 12 year old who is beginning to be interested in the difference between boys and girls that one of his fathers acts rather feminine and the other rather masculine? who does the boy imitate?

or do you want boys to grow up thinking that they should not imitate their fathers?

i'm not saying that every heterosexual father is the ideal model. and i'm not saying that every homosexual father would be a bad model.

3. GiancarloC

GiancarloC Member

Sep 4, 2010
    LA, California
    Club:
    AC Milan
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    There have been numerous studies done on it, and the line of thought isn't valid, and never really was. I've showed evidence that indicates that same sex couples are just as capable as parents as heterosexuals, as well just as capable as being role models.

And the tidbit about feminine or masculine is inaccurate. You seem to be stuck stereotyping. Many gay men aren't feminine acting. You wouldn't even be able to tell. Sexuality is innate.

And your argument falls further flat on its face with another thing. My friends who are gay are raised by heterosexual parents... so the idea that homosexual parents would somehow influence sexuality is a bit preposterous.

Kids are going to be influenced by society like it or not.

Edit: Read the statement and article I provided in the previous thread. Those statements are based on extensive social research of the past 20+ years.

4. Matt in the Hat

Matt in the Hat Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 21, 2002
    Brooklyn
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Neither.

5. luftmensch

luftmensch Member+

United States
    May 4, 2006
    Petaluma
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Some idiot celebrity, most likely.

6. luftmensch

luftmensch Member+

United States
    May 4, 2006
    Petaluma
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah, I guess they can always emulate young lesbians.

7. ogopogo

ogopogo Member

Oct 13, 2005
    Lake Okanagan
    Club:
    Millonarios Bogota
    A child born heterosexual will grow up to be heterosexual. A child born homosexual will grow up to be homosexual. The parents gender and sexual orientation have nothing to do with it. Again, there simply is no legitimate reason to oppose gay marriage.

8. luftmensch

luftmensch Member+

United States
    May 4, 2006
    Petaluma
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Actually, I think his point is that a heterosexual male child brought up by homosexual male parents will have no idea how to act like a heterosexual male.

I think it's more likely he'll be brought up with much better taste and get a lot more tail than his peers brought up with a heterosexual role model.

9. StiltonFC

Mar 18, 2007
    SoCal
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    and your proof of this is...

where did i suggest that the parents' behavior would influence sexuality?

10. luftmensch

luftmensch Member+

United States
    May 4, 2006
    Petaluma
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So what is your concern exactly?

11. argentine soccer fan

Staff Member

Jan 18, 2001
    San Francisco Bay Area
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Melkor will take you.

12. ogopogo

ogopogo Member

Oct 13, 2005
    Lake Okanagan
    Club:
    Millonarios Bogota
    LOL ! that's even worse.

13. Dignan

Dignan Member+

Nov 29, 1999
    Granada
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We kind of got off here. Although, I think the detour was somewhat helpful, at least to clarify some issues and get air some things out.

It might be interesting to try to move the thread back to its original purpose.

14. manoa

manoa Member

Aug 16, 2005
    there are palm trees
    Like trying to start a nice, civil discussion by asking for opinions on why the scores for both 'Hispanic Catholic' and 'Black Protestant' are the lowest for any of the groups listed? ;)

15. Val1

Val1 Member+

Arsenal
    Mar 12, 2004
    MD's Eastern Shore
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Actually, anyone who'd read much into that survey is not really looking for deeper understanding. That test was so basic, my 14 year old daughter, who is of average intelligence and average Christian "teaching" got a perfect score. The only revelation from this survey (once again) is that it is shocking the level of ignorance across so many swaths of American society.

As a late side note the whole gay-marriage issue, there are many people who are opposed to gay marriage for other than religious reasons. There is a lot of fear, misunderstanding and revulsion towards gays that has nothing to do with religious teachings.

16. luftmensch

luftmensch Member+

United States
    May 4, 2006
    Petaluma
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think this is basically true, although it's likely some of the revulsion involved is indirectly related to religious teachings that are now unconsciously carried by the culture.

17. Dr. Wankler

Dr. Wankler Member+

May 2, 2001
    The Electric City
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    That's my "take-away" from the survey. I can see missing one or two, but for the love of God (however conceived or not), it wasn't that hard.

18. Val1

Val1 Member+

Arsenal
    Mar 12, 2004
    MD's Eastern Shore
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    I get what you are saying, but I think the major "religious" issues carry a huge segment of society who are not religious, but feel the same way. If you think that hold-over religious teachings are why we still have this gay marriage issue, I would counter by saying if that were true we'd be much closer to having prayer in schools. I was in the military, my family is military, and I read most things military, and the great preponderance of support for banning gays in the military is secular, not religious. The same is true of abortion. It may be a religious issue, but it is has such traction because a sizable portion of "secular" society is opposed to it.

19. Pathogen

Pathogen Member

Jul 19, 2004
    Like you care.
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm gonna go ahead and call bullshit until you bring some independent studies to the table to prove this in any way possible.

20. StiltonFC

Mar 18, 2007
    SoCal
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    published in a scholarly journal, no doubt :rolleyes:

21. Pathogen

Pathogen Member

Jul 19, 2004
    Like you care.
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Oh, well, there's your problem. You don't like facts.

22. Dignan

Dignan Member+

Nov 29, 1999
    Granada
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Whose facts?

23. Pathogen

Pathogen Member

Jul 19, 2004
    Like you care.
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Oh, is that the game we're playing now?

24. StiltonFC

Mar 18, 2007
    SoCal
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    you know as well as i do that there isn't going to be an "independent study". there might be a poll, which might or might not be definitive.

independent study? what a funny guy.