American soccer fans

Discussion in 'The Beautiful Game' started by Cruickinator, Aug 31, 2002.

1. Dr. Wankler

Dr. Wankler Member+

May 2, 2001
    The Electric City
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    While only one of the many smart things said on this thread, I thought this point should be singled out, and I hope Mr. Attack keeps it handy when the debate about American superiority resurfaces again.

This brings up the interesting point about American players and fans using English slang. I think it should all come down to how good it sounds in your regional dialect. I started playing on a local team in the Central Illinois Soccer League when I was in high school. We had a couple of English and Irish guys playing on our team. As a result, guys from Galesburg, Illinois, started calling each other "mate," etc. It doesn't work with the midwestern twang. Now, "Wanker" on the other hand.... that sounds perfectly natural when used by cornhicks in the midwest, and when I was coaching a youth team in Chicago, a lot of the latinos picked it up too, and it works quite well with that accent, too. So in short, if you're going to play soccer in America, you need a good ear for the slang, or else you might wind up sounding stupid.

2. Khansingh

Khansingh New Member

Jan 8, 2002
    The Luton Palace
    Well it's not as simple as that. A player could adjust to the differences, good to great players may be faster. Someone who plays Rugby Union could probably perform competently in Rugby League, inspite of the rule differences. But the learning curve, from NFL to CFL, is much higher than vice versa. Right now, Michael Bishop, the stand-out from Kansas State who was supposed to unseat Drew Bledsoe, is struggling to find his way with the Toronto Argonauts. It takes time and it may be next season before he gets a handle on the CFL game.

3. Publius

Publius Member+

May 22, 2001
    Alexandria, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Doug Flutie was always considered too short/small to be an NFL quarterback. He washed out in Chicago and in New England primarily because his coaches lacked confidence in him. He then went on to become a superstar in Canada for Calgary. His success in Canada opened the eyes of NFL personnel people who finally realized he could play despite not fitting into the classic NFL quarterback mold. Warren Moon also had a very long and successful NFL career after establishing himself in the CFL.

I would say that the CFL is populated by players who rightly or wrongly are deemed unworthy of making it in the NFL. The only players in the CFL who ever seem to get a second look from the NFL are quarterbacks.

4. counterattack

counterattack New Member

Mar 28, 2002
    You know, this is just like shooting fish in a tea cup.
    You can not be this stupid about the CFL, can you?
    The history of the CFL is littered with US players, who go north, easily adapt to the 3 down, 12 player game and do incredibly well.

Joe Kapp, Warren Moon, Doug Flutie, the list goes on and on. Anyone, who has any knowledge of Canadian/American/NFL non-rugby football knows that any US player, and ANY Canadian player can adapt easily from one game's rules to the other. There is NO LEARNING CURVE. The difference between having to play an extra down, or not represents no problem for any football player. Want some final proof, dillweed? US and Canadian Colleges in the Pacific Northwest cross the border and play each other, and have for decades, playing the other teams rules when they are the visitor.

Now, shut up about both the Canadian and American game of football, because you know absolutely nothing about either.

5. GoHawks4

GoHawks4 Member

Apr 24, 2002
    Chicago
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I always call people at school a "Wanker". It just sounds so funny. They know what it means, and even my non-soccer lovers who are still fans will say "nil", "pitch" but never "mate". We don't go there.

6. Khansingh

Khansingh New Member

Jan 8, 2002
    The Luton Palace
    Let's see. Joe Kapp, in two seasons with Calgary, had a losing record. However, he then went to British Columbia and led them to... two losing seasons. However, in 1963-64, he led them to the Grey Cup, winning it in '64. Warren Moon apprenticed under Tom Wilkinson in 1978, taking over full starting duties in 1979. Now his was a short learning curve. Doug Flutie made a lot of press in British Columbia but was ineffectual as the Lions finished last in 1990. The next year was another story. Of course, what's the point? That all three of these players picked up the differences, in not much time. But they didn't get off the plane and win Most Outstanding Player Honors immediately.

Canadian Universities playing American Universities? Well if you consider the NAIA to be college football, then you're right. But I think either one of us could walk on at one of those schools and be starting within two games.

But interestingly enough, the Winnipegs played an exhibition against the University of North Dakota in 1936. And Vince Leah of the Winnipeg Tribune remarked, "These are the blue bombers of western football." He adapted Grantland Rice's nickname for Joe Louis, the 'Brown Bomber,' to the Winnipegs, whose uniforms were blue.

I know nothing about Canadian Football? This from the great mind who thought the NFL owned the CFL. And when told otherwise, what did he say? What was it? It had such authoritative expertise. Oh yeah, "Yeah, whatever." Wow, you're just dumber than a bag of hammers.

7. counterattack

counterattack New Member

Mar 28, 2002
    >The NFL owns the CFL just like Bill Gates owns Apple.
    But, see YOU are not supposed to know that.
    Sorry, you know nothing about Canadian AND American football, and you best stop now before you hurt yourself.
    You may be an unstable person. I don't know.<

8. seahawkdad

seahawkdad Spoon!!!

Jun 2, 2000
    Lincoln, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I understand...particularly the combination of wanker and mate...:D

9. Khansingh

Khansingh New Member

Jan 8, 2002
    The Luton Palace
    Firstly, winning Grey Cups isn't a fair indicator. But maybe performing on the field is. Look at it this way, Warren Moon, Doug Flutie, Jeff Garcia either backed up or performed badly in their first CFL seasons. But when they came down here, each of them had an instant impact when given the ball.

I never said it was harder to go from American to Canadian rules than Union to League. The truth is I have very little idea which is harder, if at all. But how's this? If you ever rode roller skates, I bet you could ride roller blades. But not immediately.

As for Simon Fraser, you're the putz who said that American and Canadian universities played each other under both codes. But Simon Fraser played in the NAIA under American rules, never Canadian. Next year, they're making the jump to the CIS and will play Canadian full time.

Incidentally, I'll introduce you to a friend of mine who pitched 1/3 of an inning for the Atlantic City Surf, because that's what you're giving me. The Atlantic League of College Football. I'm actually who they'd look for... Open Try-out: No experience needed. Sense of sight a plus. For all intents and purposes you're talking about intramural football. The butt of jokes for the rest of College Football.

FYI, the Canadian Rugby Union (the governing body of Canadian Football at the time) amended the rules to allow the forward pass in 1931. Winnipeg and North Dakota were able to play without too much trouble.

And I'll be sure to tell Sherwood Schartz, Kevin Feterik, et. al. that they don't own their clubs. I bet the people of Edmonton will be especially devastated.