American players most likely to make it in Premiership? To Arsenal?

Discussion in 'Arsenal' started by GunneRy, Sep 27, 2006.

1. GunneRy

GunneRy Member+

Aug 22, 2006
    Chicago
    I know nothing about the MLS. Never watch it. The only American players I know anything about are those that already play in the Premiership (or, in some cases, Europe).

I only became interested in football when I lived in England and I was introduced to the gunners. Since then I only know about European football.

Just wondering who are the most talented AMERICAN players out there who could excel in the Premiership, and potentially at Arsenal...

2. surfcam

surfcam Member

Sep 8, 2004
    Corpus Christi, TX
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Release the Hounds!!!

3. Grateful Gooner

Grateful Gooner New Member

May 3, 2001
    Charm City
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    [​IMG]

4. GunneRy

GunneRy Member+

Aug 22, 2006
    Chicago
    victim of an inside joke i presume...

5. GoonerMan

GoonerMan New Member

Jul 21, 2004
    Essex,England
    i always thought that freddy adu would have what it takes but the americans now more about him than me and there not too high on him. adu, at the moment, seems miles ahead of anyone else tho, if u look at his potential

6. surfcam

surfcam Member

Sep 8, 2004
    Corpus Christi, TX
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If you were around this summer and saw the threads about Americans vs. Arsenal players, etc. you would understand. The English posters will say Americans are rubbish and have no chance at the Arsenal. Sam's Army die-hards will hustle in to defende any American player, no matter who or skill level. It will go back and forth and plenty of name calling will occur. That is the reason for my comment.

7. PsychedelicCeltic

PsychedelicCeltic New Member

Dec 10, 2003
    San Francisco/London
    He's 17 years old and not scoring 45 goals a year for DC United, ergo he must be crap.

You've fallen victim to the stupifying unrealistic expectations of MLS fans (the same people who thought the USA would walk it vs. Ghana and that Landycakes was world class).

8. Red Agave

Red Agave Member

Aug 2, 2005
    Manchester
    Things have a tendency to get a little heated round here on the subject of US footballers vs the rest of the world. All in the spirit of good natured banter of course. ;)

(Check out some of the old World Cup threads and you'll get a flavour. Look for "Landycakes")

9. rojagooner

rojagooner New Member

Feb 20, 2006
    Orange County, CA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I could play for Arsenal....the u12 club here in Southern California.

10. Red Agave

Red Agave Member

Aug 2, 2005
    Manchester
    FYP ya Texas ladyboy :p :D

11. kanonier

kanonier Member+

Nov 7, 2005
    Bloomington, Ind.
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    I like my American footballers and all, but I'm not going to overinflate their value... at least we're better than we used to be, and seem to be improving all the time.

Adu is a huge disappontment. He was definitely overhyped.

I'd say the Americans that are most likely to be playing European, or even Premiership football in the next few years are Dempsey, Onyewu and Eddie Johnson...

I think there are a few others that could some day, depending on development -- maybe Twellman, maybe Ching, maybe Pope.

Donovan could, but he's too big of a pansy and doesn't want to take his game to the next level.

12. Shen-O

Shen-O Member+

United States
    Jul 26, 2005
    Los Angeles
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Pfft, Ching sucks, he wouldn't make it.

Convey, Twellman, Dempsey, Onyewu, and to an extent, Albright, I could see making it.

13. antifan

antifan Member+

Aug 14, 2004
    The Scottie
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Eddie Pope is in his 30s already, so i doubt he's going to develop much more as a player. But i do agree that Dempsey, Onyewu and Johnson will be the next players to come over to Europe. The US already has 7 players in the Premiership, a few more and we'll have a whole squad.

Edit: BTW i do know that Onyewu is playing in Belgium already, but you know what i mean. And i think their is actually 8 Americans in the Premiership, i forgot Friedel

14. Realwood

Realwood Member

Feb 11, 2004
    FC Dallas, Tucson
  15. PsychedelicCeltic

Dec 10, 2003
    San Francisco/London
    Tim Howard's better than Almunia.

That's about it.

16. PsychedelicCeltic

Dec 10, 2003
    San Francisco/London
    Maybe the US coach will be smart enough to pick them. Gregg Beerholder over Jay DeMerit was one of the more profoundly stupid decisions in Brucie's World Cup, which was filled with a lot of them.

17. thebigman

thebigman Member+

May 25, 2006
    Birmingham
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    ^^^lol

that landon donovan chap wasnt too good at the wc

had pace but nothing else from memory

that young defender looks like an average lower tier prem defender

havnt seen adu who people talk highly of

18. antifan

antifan Member+

Aug 14, 2004
    The Scottie
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I've never heard of him, plays for Watford, huh? I guess that makes 9 Americans in the Premiership. Not a bad number really.

19. canadagooner

canadagooner Member

Jul 31, 2004
    Toronto
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    God no!! In the name of humanity don't start THAT again:eek:

20. Catfish

Catfish Member

Oct 1, 2002
    Chicago
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Let the record show, I (an American fan of football) NEVER EVER said those things. I'm so sick of having Adu and Landy-afraid-of-Germany-non-Bundesliga-playing-@SS-cakes Donovan shoved down my throat.

21. Catfish

Catfish Member

Oct 1, 2002
    Chicago
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    antifan,
    Damani Ralph (I know he isn't an American, but he did play for the Fire), is freezing his Jamaican SS off at FC Rubin Kazan in the Russian Premier League.

22. AfrcnHrbMan

AfrcnHrbMan Member

Jun 14, 2004
    Philly
    Club:
    Olympique Lyonnais
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    Brian Ching sucks and hes almost 30 so hes not getting any better. Damani Ralph is a jamaican national. Think Gooch could probably sit the bench on arsenal if theres wasn't 354 centerbacks already on the team.

23. KevTheGooner

KevTheGooner Help that poor man!

Dec 10, 1999
    THOF
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Andorra
    Maybe DeMerit wasn't jingoistic enough? :p

24. zonametro

zonametro ASU here I come!!

Jan 26, 2006
    Arizona
    Any variation of the name Landon Donovan should be bleeped out of this conversation but as for any American soccer players at Arsenal it's highly unlikely under Arsene Wegner.

25. Publius

Publius Member+

May 22, 2001
    Alexandria, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Dempsey - Yes

Onyewu - Yes, but I think he's overrated. He's got all the physical gifts and maybe he just needs more time to polish his game.

Ching - No.

Pope - Yes, if it were 1997-2002. He's too old now and as good a World Cup as he had in '02, it was apparent he was over the hill in Germany.

Johnson - Maybe, but he's picked up a reputation as a head case.

Twellman - I like the guy but I'm not sure he's good enough for the Premiership.

Donovan - No. It's too cold for him.

Adu - No. Yes, he was extremely overhyped coming into MLS. He has, however, improved tremendously since his rookie season and has learned to play defense. I think his biggest problem is his lack of size. It's a problem in MLS. It would definitely be a problem in the Premiership. He can get marked completely out of a game by a physical side.

There are no Americans I would die to see play for Arsenal. I do agree that Howard is better than Almunia, as is Brad Friedel. The only MLS player I really ever wanted to see play for Arsenal is Blackburn's Ryan Nelsen.