American DP

Discussion in 'MLS: General' started by metros11, Dec 6, 2007.

1. metros11

metros11 Member

Sep 11, 1999
    Highlands of NJ
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We always say that it's important for MLS to keep talented Americans in our league. Well, what if they created a DP spot specifically for them?. First and foremost this would allow teams to keep players like Donovan and Johnson, without using the current DP slot or trade for one. Second, it would also allow teams to sign players like Keller and McBride, again without using the DP slot that could be used on a recognizable international player. Third, it would open up an opportunity for young players to earn big wages while playing in MLS, certainly something to strive for.

Just an idea. Thoughts?

PS. We can call this 'the Donovan rule', and Toronto would have a Canadian DP.

2. Rooney20

Rooney20 Member+

Jan 8, 2007
    New York
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    IMO DeRo would be the first Canadian DP.

Anywho...its a great idea...but they already have that rule I think Donovan and Johnson are signed above the league max....But if MLS were to make it an official rule it would benifit US soccer and MLS greatly.

3. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This idea has been batted around here before.

As you put it, it's a bad idea. Here's why. Pretty soon, the league will be at 16 teams, and there just are NOT 16 Americans who are both worth the DP salary, AND willing to play in MLS. Not even close.

Instead, I suggest making it a CONCACAF DP. There might not be 16 players like that, but it'd be a hell of a lot closer.

4. krudmonk

krudmonk Member+

Mar 7, 2007
    S.J. Sonora
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    That's a solid solution to worthy concept. I like it.

5. denver_mugwamp

denver_mugwamp New Member

Feb 9, 2003
    Denver, Colorado
    An interesting concept, although probably pretty unlikely for a few years. There aren't a whole lot of Caribbean and Central American CONCACAF players worthy of this sort of money so I think it would result in MLS cherry picking the Mexican League. Would definitely ruiffle a few feathers south of the border.

6. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Stern John and Jason Roberts. Suazo. Some Canucks. Probably enough of those, plus a couple of Mexicans, plus a few Yanks, to be in the neighborhood of 16.

7. UpTheMetro

UpTheMetro Member

Jun 3, 1999
    New York
    An American DP would have to include all green card holding players. Legally you couldn't do it otherwise.

8. scheck

scheck Member

Mar 13, 2007
    Denver
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I say just get rid of the salary cap for american players.

9. Luddo_Nadd

Luddo_Nadd New Member

Apr 22, 2007
    Niagara Falls
    Yeah, that's a real intelligent notion, uggh.

10. Swami

Swami Member

Mar 5, 2005
    Why on earth would you do that? For a given amount of money, why limit the pool of talent available? You are less likely to maximize your dollar that way. The only reason to do so would be to benefit the US National Teams and the American player. Having a CONCACAF DP as opposed to a regular DP applied to an Argentine, Brazilian, Italian, Swede,etc. does nothing towards that end.

11. Pereira_17

Pereira_17 New Member

Jan 25, 2007
    USA
    I think that it is a good idea. Maybe in the beginning there would only be a few teams that would take advantage of it but that would be ok. Makes a lot of sense.

12. footballfan10

footballfan10 New Member

Nov 25, 2007
    I think having an american DP is a good idea given how RSL and NYRB did not want to pay the money Kasey Keller probably deserves. If they did he would in the league right now. I think the concacaf dp is a bad idea and I don't think americans would cheer a star from places like central america and the caribbean. For canada's team, I think the american dp could count for americans and canadians. Until they don't need an american that is. If you have a concacaf dp, make one eligible for every federation.

13. littlerockant

littlerockant Member

Mar 5, 2006
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I agree...although, I'm not sure that many Americans that can make that big Euro dough would even come back. Like, right now Feilhaber should come back. If he could get an "american DP" would he come back? Maybe so, but I still think not. They don't really go overseas for the money. They go for the "better competition."

14. Elninho

Elninho Member+

Sacramento Republic FC
    United States
    Oct 30, 2000
    Sacramento, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think we're talking about adding a CONCACAF DP in addition to the regular DP.

And I like the idea, because it's a proactive way to help teams keep talent that they already have. I'm thinking Donovan in LA, Ruiz in Dallas, DeRosario in Houston. Or, alternately, bringing players like Keller home, without having to use up the regular DP slot.

Of course, it could also turn Chicago into a real juggernaut by letting them bring in another big-name player to go with Blanco...

15. metros11

metros11 Member

Sep 11, 1999
    Highlands of NJ
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You won't have to have all 16 teams having US DPs. It's like the current DP rule, we had 13 teams, and only 4 took advantage. It would be up to the teams to bring players in, or attempt to keep players. In addition, by designating players as US DPs, I'm not saying that you need to pay them millions of dollars, you could pay them just above the league max. Think of it this way, a team like Chivas might be able to hold on to Klejstan for a few more years before he goes overseas, while Seattle would be able to bring in Keller in addition to an international player. Hypothetically speaking of course.

The CONCACAF idea is novel, but if you're taking it outside the US, why not just create another 'Beckham' DP. Because lets face it, there are more options in Europe and South America then Central America.

16. canammj

canammj Member+

Aug 25, 2004
    CHINO, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Simply give every team 2 DP's- 1 American/Canadian (for TFC)
    and 1 foreign.
    As it is, some teams haven't use their DP's yet.
    American DP is used to keep all the young talent going overseas or bringing back someone for last couple years
    -
    Foreign DP is obvious... Beckham will be hard to top, but any big name should work as long as the player brings value and work ethic, not vacation status.
    -
    I think for both DP, teams should be allowed to split the DP. In otherwords, if for example, a team wants to sign two Argentines for the place of one higher price Euro talent, ok.. Would seem we still might need to have a soft or flexible cap to still keep small markets competitive if they can't get a big DP star.

17. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    First of all, while only 6 teams (I think you forgot KC and Adu's RSL) had DPs, that's probably not going to be the case going forward. And, of course, there's a bountiful supply of players willing to come to MLS and worth more than $400K a year. But there flatly is NOT a bountiful supply of AMERICAN players willing to come to MLS and worth more than $400K a year. One of two things would happen. Either half the teams would get those American DPs, and half would be left out, or a bunch of Americans would get paid alot more than they're worth. Keller, for example. Or Feilhaber...in MLS, I just don't see him being worth DP money. Is he substantially better than Klejstan? Is he better than DeRo? I don't see it.

A US-only DP is a guarantee of either unfair* competition, or wasted money.

*What would make it unfair is that the league would be creating a loophole CERTAIN that the supply was much lower than the demand.