American democracy health thread

Discussion in 'Politics & Current Events' started by superdave, Mar 11, 2018.

1. ceezmad

ceezmad Member+

Mar 4, 2010
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Also the wife's of abusive or controlling housbands (it could also go the other way) filling the card together could lead to some partners making sure their partner votes the "right way" but as a percentage of total votes, it is probably small.

soccernutter repped this.
  2. diablodelsol

diablodelsol Member+

Jan 10, 2001
    New Jersey
    How so? You do understand that in order to vote in person, or vote by mail, or vote at all….you have to be REGISTERED to vote.

the only thing anyone could do is steal somebody else’s vote. And if you think that can happen, un reported, in a widespread manner you’re nuts.

bigredfutbol and xtomx repped this.
  3. charlie15

charlie15 Member+

Mar 9, 2000
    Bethesda, Md
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The Bulwark podcasts can be a hit or miss, this one with Stuart Stevens, the former GOP strategist and ad sure, was really good. Worth listening to. As an ex-republican, his analysis and views of his former party are scathing and realistic.

NORML, Dr. Wankler and The Jitty Slitter repped this.
  4. soccernutter

soccernutter Moderator
    Staff Member

Tottenham Hotspur
    Aug 22, 2001
    Near the mountains.
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Has anybody done anything on Black youth? I ask because when I was in Memphis, a significant number of my students went to church because of peer/social pressure, but didn't really care for it all that much. And there was derision to some of the more bombastic/fire-and-brimstone preachers as well. Not to mention the 2nd or 3rd round of passing the donation hat. So, I'm saying that this evangelical youth behavior does not appear to be limited to White people. Or evangelicals.

5. soccernutter

soccernutter Moderator
    Staff Member

Tottenham Hotspur
    Aug 22, 2001
    Near the mountains.
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So, let me see if I get this right.

A Democrat, who refused to step down is being sued by the Legislature.
    The Legislature hired an outside attorney to represent them in court.
    Both were done through a legal process.
    So, would we be saying the same thing if this was reversed (all the way around)? Nope. (And give a better argument than "But the Reps are fascists." That is cliché, and when the Dems are doing it, it is false."

@Yoshou is there something we don't know about?

6. The Jitty Slitter

The Jitty Slitter Moderator
    Staff Member

Bayern München
    Germany
    Jul 23, 2004
    Fascist Hellscape
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
    I think they've lacked the quality of guests recently?

I agree this is a good one. Stevens is a terrible person, but the honesty makes it powerful.

Unlike Sykes and Nichols, he straight up says the modern GOP was always about the racism.

7. The Jitty Slitter

Staff Member

Bayern München
    Germany
    Jul 23, 2004
    Fascist Hellscape
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
    nope :p

The guy refusing to step down is GOP

He is being sued by the state dem AG

The GOP who control the Legislature have hired counsel at tax payer expense to oppose the AG

It's the classic legal coup play. To prevent the Dem Governor Evers from appoint a new person, the GOP senate refuse to hold hearings, so the old guy can stay on forever.

All "legal" but obviously absurd.

This is why the stolen Nom by turtle was just clever politics, but actually a sign of authoritarian rule. A GOP senate can just always refuse to confirm a new Justice, even if that means the Court has to be smaller for years

Deadtigers and xtomx repped this.
  8. SamScouse

SamScouse Member+

Jun 1, 2015
    Toronto
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    most days I come to this forum, see the title of this thread and think "there is not a hell of a lot of 'health' left, and what there is is being diluted every day".

it's death by a thousand cuts ...... boiling the frog ....... five minutes to midnight ....whatever cute phrase you want to use.

Trump said the US won't exist in 3 years. at the rate these GOP tricks are going (while many on the left are obsessed with engaging in silly civil wars, or playing politics using non-existent Marquis of Queensbury Rules), that prediction could end up being the first thing in his obituary, not the shit he pulled all his life or anything to do with impeachments.

I don't say this smugly and apologies if I offend anyone, but I really do feel for you guys.

I hope to hell I'm wrong to be so negative.

Deadtigers and xtomx repped this.
  9. Yoshou

Yoshou Fan of the CCL Champ

May 12, 2009
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I’m really bad at poker. Folding is really the only thing I do.

crazypete13 and roby repped this.
  10. xtomx

xtomx Member+

Chicago Fire
    Sep 6, 2001
    Northern Wisconsin, but not far from civilization
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    You have that just about right.

Governor Evers HAS appointed a new member, Sandra Naas. Actually, he appointed two new members in April, one for an open seat and one for Fred Prehn's seat. The problem is that the new member cannot be seated on the Board, because Fred Prehn won't leave, even though his term was up in May.

Prehn states that he does not have to leave until the state Senate confirms Ms. Naas, even though that is not in keeping with "historical precedence," that allows the governor to seat the replacement even before Senate confirmation. Of course, with a strong Republican majority in the state Senate, confirmation is unlikely at this point.

Now, the Republican legislators and an out of state hunting lobbyist group want to intervene in the lawsuit. The judge has blocked that move.

Deadtigers and dapip repped this.
  11. dapip

dapip Member+

Sep 5, 2003
    South Florida
    Club:
    Millonarios Bogota
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    Also, the GQP controlled senate has not confirmed (and apparently doesn't intend to) the new chair, a Democrat.

Deadtigers, The Jitty Slitter and xtomx repped this.
  12. dapip

dapip Member+

Sep 5, 2003
    South Florida
    Club:
    Millonarios Bogota
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    That was a good podcast, because Nichols was blunt, while Sykes always tries to massage the truth around the GQP.

Sykes was terribly naïve from for most of the Trump presidency, always expecting the GQP to do the right thing before we reached the next stage of totalitarianism. He has slowly waken up to the notion that the GQP only goal is not to lose elections, and he's now clear that they have embraced one party rule as their future.

Stevens on the other hand understood what happened probably around 2018 and he's very pessimistic about the future of the country. He is totally unabated about how dangerous republicans are and how the Dems should basically campaign as defenders of democracy, because here is where we are.

Deadtigers and The Jitty Slitter repped this.
  13. Dr. Wankler

Dr. Wankler Member+

May 2, 2001
    The Electric City
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Stuart Stevens at 30:30 confesses that he once hired Jason Miller as an intern.

Sykes 'fesses up, "well, I have Ron Johnson on my dance card. . . "

Worth a listen, IMO.

dapip, Deadtigers and The Jitty Slitter repped this.
  14. xtomx

xtomx Member+

Chicago Fire
    Sep 6, 2001
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    #1964 xtomx, Sep 17, 2021
    Last edited: Sep 17, 2021
    Update.

This afternoon, a Dane County judge tossed the AG's lawsuit to remove the DNR chair Fred Prehn.

dapip and Dr. Wankler repped this.
  15. NORML

NORML Member+

Aug 9, 2002
    Lake Wobegon, MN
    Club:
    NSC Minnesota Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I stopped listening for awhile cause it felt like a cycle of the same people but I did give this one a listen to and enjoyed it. Got me to go back and listen to other recent episodes to give them another go and found the 9/11 Bill Kristol episode really informative. Not because of 9/11 but rather their talk about the Texas abortion bounty law and the silence from the right on the Supreme Court ruling.

The Jitty Slitter and dapip repped this.
  16. Deadtigers

Deadtigers Member+

Jul 23, 2015
    Independent Republic of the Bronx, NY
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ghana
    Under what grounds!?

17. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What is DNR?

18. xtomx

xtomx Member+

Chicago Fire
    Sep 6, 2001
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    #1968 xtomx, Sep 18, 2021
    Last edited: Sep 18, 2021
    Department of Natural Resources. Sorry, I thought I spelled it out in the first post.

The actual board of the DNR at issue is the Natural Resources Board (NRB).

Thanks.

19. xtomx

xtomx Member+

Chicago Fire
    Sep 6, 2001
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    I have not seen the decision, but according to the newspaper reporting, it was based on a 1964 Wis. Supreme Court decision that stated the appointees do.not serve at the "pleasure of the governor" and new members require Senate approval.

The AG (attorney general) interpreted this to mean that it will require the Wis. Supreme Court to weigh in on the case. Of course, the Wis. Supreme Court has a consevative majority, like the Senate, so it is not likely much will happen.

Prehn cynically stated he hopes the Senate will "got on with it" and hold hearings on the nominee. He said henwould happily leave when (if) the new nominee is confirmed. He knows what will happen.

Of course, the other nominee has already taken her seat, as it was "open."

The Jitty Slitter repped this.
  20. Smurfquake

Smurfquake Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 8, 2000
    San Carlos, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If this was the other way - a Democrat refusing to give up a seat to a fairly nominated Republican because the Democratic legislature refused to hold hearings - there would be folks planning on second amendment solutions to ensure that the chair becomes "open". Republicans know that Democrats aren't going to use violence like that so they're free to obstruct and prevent Democrats from taking fairly won seats.

21. The Jitty Slitter

Staff Member

Bayern München
    Germany
    Jul 23, 2004
    Fascist Hellscape
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
    #1971 The Jitty Slitter, Sep 18, 2021
    Last edited: Sep 18, 2021
    Depressing

As usual, having lost a governors race, the GOP set about stealing the governors powers, and using tilted Courts to uphold anti-democratic behaviour

22. The Jitty Slitter

Staff Member

Bayern München
    Germany
    Jul 23, 2004
    Fascist Hellscape
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
    This is my beef with the Obama era and now the Biden era.

Stealing a Supreme pic wasn't just "clever poltiics" - its fascism.

Maybe Dems will realise the danger when the Court is 9-0 and no black people can vote.

Boandlkramer, dapip and Deadtigers repped this.
  23. xtomx

xtomx Member+

Chicago Fire
    Sep 6, 2001
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    They did it immediately when Governor Evers won, stripping him of much of his power. It has not let up since.

24. xtomx

xtomx Member+

Chicago Fire
    Sep 6, 2001
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Yep, absolutely.

25. The Jitty Slitter

Staff Member

Bayern München
    Germany
    Jul 23, 2004
    Fascist Hellscape
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
    The thing that struck me when I studied Con law in the early 90s is that to function, the soft conventions are crucial

You see this in the UK at the moment. If a government decides to be corrupt, even a strong judiciary can't really restrain it.