American Chelski?

Discussion in 'Arsenal' started by Coach_McGuirk, Oct 5, 2003.

1. Coach_McGuirk

Coach_McGuirk New Member

Apr 30, 2002
    Between the Pipes
    According to last week's Hockey News, Roman Abramovich has contacted the National Hokey League about purchasing an existing NHL franchise. several NHL teams have been for sale over the past few years, notably the Mighty Ducks of Anaheim (owned by Disney) and the Dallas Stars (owned by Tom Hicks, who recently decided to keep the team).

It's not odd that he would want to buy a franchise in the US, but what he wants to do with the team once he acquires it is rather bizarre. Abramovich plans to field a team entirely of Russian players. I guess a somebody talked him out of an all - former Eastern Bloc lineup at Chelsea.

I couldn't find the exact link, but here is one to The Hockey News website:

www.thn.com

2. ArsenalTexan3

ArsenalTexan3 Member

Arsenal
    Sep 24, 2002
    Jakarta
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    If only there wasn't a salary cap and only the transfer market. :(

3. bigtoga

bigtoga Member

Sep 16, 2000
    Dallas, Texas
    If only there wasn't the concept of "the draft" too...

Go Stars! :)

4. Coach_McGuirk

Coach_McGuirk New Member

Apr 30, 2002
    Between the Pipes
    I figured he could buy the Lightning since they play in the Tampa/St. Pete area, and you know a Russian would love owning the "St. Petersberg Vodka Shooters", or something to that effect.

5. ArsenalTexan3

ArsenalTexan3 Member

Arsenal
    Sep 24, 2002
    Jakarta
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    But Texans drink more and are fotboll friendlier. Besides I know of one place off of campbell that is a Russian grocery store. The start of a take over? :eek:

6. Coach_McGuirk

Coach_McGuirk New Member

Apr 30, 2002
    Between the Pipes
    I don't think Tom Hicks wants to sell the Stars anymore because he believes he should own at least one pro sports team that is well run and has a chance of winning.

7. Coach_McGuirk

Coach_McGuirk New Member

Apr 30, 2002
    Between the Pipes
    Perhaps you are a lot closer to right than I am comfortable with. According to this article (link below), he was in negotiations to buy the Stars last spring before he even bought Chelsea.

http://ca.sports.yahoo.com/030925/6/utna.html

8. OPArsenal

OPArsenal New Member

Dec 17, 2002
    Jacksonville, FL
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    "How Abromovich Took Over," the new miniseries from ABC. Seriously, though, it is kinda strange how he wants to put up an all-Russian side, but I'll be really worried when he buys the Texas Rangers from Dubya, and that move would being followed by free aid to Russia. If that happens, THEN I'll be worried. Is this the start of a new Cold War? Only time will tell. :D

9. jegerpenge

jegerpenge New Member

Jan 18, 2003
    Lake Charles, LA
    i think it would show the power of abromovich if we, the united states, an entire country, waged a cold war on a single man. it sounds like a james bond plot or something

10. Coach_McGuirk

Coach_McGuirk New Member

Apr 30, 2002
    Between the Pipes
    Georg W. doesn't own the Rangers anymore. Tom Hicks does, and he (apparently) turned down Abramovich's offer to buy the Stars. the latest is he's attempting to buy the Vancouver Canucks. That'll begreat: a Canadian team with slang for a Canadian as their team name, stocked completely with Russians and no Canadians. Can anyone say "Vancouver Comrades"?

11. TxTechGooner

TxTechGooner we're having fun here, no?

Feb 24, 2003
    to be honest, i regret hicks' decision in not selling to abromavich... i am getting tired of his wheelings and dealings with the current team (see turgeon and hatcher) also, the price to see a game (decent seats) is absolutely embarrasing.. add the $6.00 beers and what not, its a freakin joke.. it costs more to go to a stars game than a match at highbury or nou camp.. at any rate.. im still optimistic when it comes to our season although turco was shite on saturday nite.... anyone else like my red raiders just put the hurt to the F&*KING ags of A&M?? wow that was sweet.. .

symons for heisman.... sorry so off track...

phishy

12. Coach_McGuirk

Coach_McGuirk New Member

Apr 30, 2002
    Between the Pipes
    OK, where to begin...

The Turgeon deal was not of his making. Bob Gainey had a hand in that one, and they gave him the "No-Trade" (BIG mistake). Dallas even went out and got Scott Young to make Turgeon more comfortable, and he still mailed it in all last year. Can't fault them on Hatcher, either, because Hatch turned down the same deal he was offered from Detroit the previous summer in Dallas, then Dallas offered the same money as Detroit (this summer), just one less year. Hatch took the stability of a fourth year, so I don't fault him or the Stars, really. The Stars also stepped to the plate when they needed to for Turks, extended Lehtinen and Modano, and brought in Numminen, so they're OK by me.

As far as ticket prices go, Dallas is actually pretty much in line with the rest of the NHL. Go to most other cities and you'll pay just about the same amount to see the NHL. Hockey's TV money is negligible, so they have to make it on gate. (Dan, perhaps you can chime in on what an average Avs ticket costs?)

And before everyone starts griping about this not being a hockey board, this actually started out being soccer related. It just spun out of control a bit.

Tech demolished A&M. Saw the replay on FSW. Sad to say but Symons will be a low pick in the draft because every NFL scout is convinced that Tech's system makes their QB's, plus he's listed at only 6'1", and he's probably really a shade under 6'.

13. TxTechGooner

Feb 24, 2003
    Coach!!! who cares about where he goes in the draft?? not me.. i care about THIS season with my red raiders!! and it is indeed looking good DESPITE the toughest schedule in the nation... ya we end with Texas in Austin and OU at home.. im moving back to the UK so won't be able to attend either :(

TEXAS TECH UNIVERSITY, YOUR BIG IX CHAMPS!!

sorry for no footie tie in~ who should be the number one line? LEHTS-MO-MORROW or GUERIN-ARNOTT-YOUNG~~ oh the possibilities.. lmao

14. CDNGooner

CDNGooner New Member

Our team already has 7 Swedes on the team - we're already calling it the Vancouver Volvos, Team IKEA, Vancouver Tri Kronors, heh heh. Vancouver Management has denied that Ambramovich has contacted them.

There was a funny article a local newspaper on how Vancouver's payroll would be $276M if Abramovich took over - our 4th line Centre was Forsberg heh heh. Anyhow - off topic. Colorado's going to tough to beat this year - don't let them on the powerplay!!

15. Coach_McGuirk

Coach_McGuirk New Member

Apr 30, 2002
    Between the Pipes
    Hey, Tech's having a good year, but they're no North Texas, that's for sure. *L* Sorry, had to get my UNT plug in there.

Lines? Try Guerin-Modano-Young #1, Turgeon-(Nasty screwball for called strike three right there)Arnott-Morrow #2, and the Flying Finn line with Lehtinen-Kapanen-Miettanen #3, with Lehts jumping between lines depending on which line might need a kick start. Modano's the heart and soul of the Stars, but Lehts is the blood flow. Whatever line he's on gets exponentially better. That's why I think Tippett might run him out with the 2 younger Finns, at least early in the season.

And we have now completely lost the plot of this thread.

Let me add that the Avs have a completely unproven goalie and some defensive holes. Watching them will be like watching the Oilers with Gretsky. Detroit, on the other hand, might go into November before they actually surrender a goal.

16. ArsenalTexan3

ArsenalTexan3 Member

Arsenal
    Sep 24, 2002
    Jakarta
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Go Stars!

Hehe, looking forward to the season and yes we have lost it. As long as there is some defender who likes to hit, I'm alright. :D

17. OPArsenal

OPArsenal New Member

Dec 17, 2002
    Jacksonville, FL
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Does Asa Presley play for Texas Tech? Just curious, as I knew him in high school, and I thought that he was going tere on a football scholarship. Back on topic. Yesterday there was discussion about buying up teams in the Tampa Bay area, and imagine my shock when I tuned in to MNF last night and saw one of the many banners hanging that said "Roman's Army." Shocking to say the least, although I came to the conclusion that in was hung for Roman Oben, a Buc's LB. But it did make me stop and think. :D

18. Catfish

Catfish Member

Oct 1, 2002
    Chicago
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    PLEASE!

Sorry, man, we got you beat. The town just east of me...is about 40,000+ tons of Russians and Ukranians! The taxi cab company from that town is called 303...owned and run by all RUSSIANS! Everytime I go to most stores in the area you here Russian spoke!

19. Coach_McGuirk

Coach_McGuirk New Member

Apr 30, 2002
    Between the Pipes
    He's not on their roster (find it at: http://texastech.ocsn.com/sports/m-footbl/mtt/text-m-footbl-mtt.html ). What year is he? If he's redshirting or Prop 48 he may not be listed. Is he from Florida? Why in God's name would anyone from Florida sign with Tech? Lubbock is a God forsaken town if there ever was one (sorry, phishy :p) and going from the tropics of Florida to a flat desert town in West Texas has got to be a bummer...(phishy is now probably planning my death as I type this. BTW, ohishy, were you at Tech during one of the years that UNT went to Lubbock and put a hurting on them? Last time was in '98, I think).

Funny you should mention that because on every board I have seen this discussed there is at least one Blackhawks fan who mentions that Chicago would welcome Abramovich with open arms. *L*

20. TxTechGooner

Feb 24, 2003

My birthday, and freaking NORTH TEXAS STATE goes into the thriving metropolis of Lubbock, and crushes our season.. ya that hurt and is still the biggest embarrasment.. maybe the cotton bowl of '95 (USC 55 Tech 14) that hurt worse come to think of it.... thanks for bringing it up coach....

hahahaha...

is terry really the best cover for RIO on saturday?? okay... way of topic now.. lol

21. Coach_McGuirk

Coach_McGuirk New Member

Apr 30, 2002
    Between the Pipes
    NORTH TEXAS STATE??? Have you fallen under the evil spell of Rhyner now? That's the easiest way to get under the skin of a UNT Alum, you know.

That must have been a birthday you've been trying to forget. They actually did it another time or two in the early 90's. Had to be '91 at the earliest because it was after I graduated. At least Tech isn't actively avoiding UNT like some other local university, the one that wears red white and blue, has a bad case of snobbery with their Park Cities address, and who also could be the worst college team in the entire state, including all the JUCOS and community colleges that field a football team. Hell, they would probably lose to several high schools in the area.

For those of you playing the home game, score yourself 50 points if you answered "Who are those cheating, stuck up b*st*rds at SMU?"

(Speaking of bad football, how in the hell did Baylor beat Colorado on Saturday? UNT beat Baylor 52-14 and Baylor had to sweat out a 3 point win over SMU 2 weeks ago, but I know Colorado's not that bad)

This could actually be the most wheels off thread I have ever been involved with. It just goes to show that the Dallas contingent of ArseAm either have WAY too much free time, or we are all suffering from a terminal case of adult ADD.

22. dwinkler

dwinkler New Member

Aug 11, 2000
    Denver, CO
    Who the hell knew the Texas contingent would be the liveliest of the bunch? You guys are having *way* too much fun...

In no particular order:
    -Coach, get off the Avs. What can you possibly have against them, besides being jealous? By the way, your bunch isn't so hot, either, although they're a bit more tolerable now that Derian "Mullet" Hatcher has moved on to the dark side.

-Avs tix are as expensive as you'd expect. $40 for the seats I share, which are 2nd-least expensive, and they're about 10 rows from the top. A sharp contrast to Opening Day 1995 when my seat in the 2nd row of the 2nd level cost a mere $15.

-CU stinks. Barnett is a terrible man-manager who has aliented players, fans, and media alike. That program's a mess.

-Isn't North Texas State a pro-wrestling factory? Didn't Tully Blanchard go there? Or maybe I'm thinking of West Texas State. Jason Waldman, where are you?