America USA, new Houston's MLS team?

Discussion in 'LA Galaxy' started by Jorge El Tico, Dec 15, 2005.

1. Jorge El Tico

Jorge El Tico New Member

Mar 24, 2005
    I know that the America de Mexico was after a franchise and they wanna to play at Houston because everytime Mexico plys there they SOLD OUT.

San Jose is keeping the EARTHQUAKE name and colors so, tomorrow will have the NEW America USA team?

2. cleschke

cleschke Member+

Aug 16, 2004
    Fullerton, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    To tell you the truth, I think Club America may have lost interest in MLS a few months back, at least thats what was being reported in the papers.

If anybody knows any differently feel free to correct me.

3. rudyirons

rudyirons New Member

Jul 31, 2005
    Long Beach, CA

Not so fast Jorge. Same claims were being made about Chivas USA and look at them, they turned out to be such a flop. They were not able to fill the HDC not even once this season.

I'm not very happy about MLS catering to anything Mexican, they already have great teams to cheer to. I know that there is a lot of support for the sport in Houston, but the Mexicans who live there support Mexican teams not some sort of America or Chivas xerox copy.

MLS is taking the wrong approach here, again. If there is a team in Texas, the team must be representative of the Texas community and how the franchise represents the local culture. A team xerox copy of America will not represent the local community and will alienate anyone who is not Mexican. I love names like Dallas Cowboys, Texans, Rockets, and Rangers, because they are representative of the local culture, which is what really counts.

4. Jorge El Tico

Jorge El Tico New Member

Mar 24, 2005
    Rudy, I agreed 100%, but, what do they think?

If they have the money and the fans, MLS will do whatever they want.

I think that America USA will have more fans than Chivas USA, Chivas wants to be 100% mexican and that's it, that's the way they think, America is different, even in the America de Mexico team they have really good players from different countries other than Mexico.

Not only that but America de mexico is own by Televisa, they have a lot of money, and that MLS will like to have the games show in Mexico, that will probably bring a lot of interest from mexican brands like Corona, Tecate, Jose Cuervo, Herdez and all that staff for all kind of ads

5. rudyirons

rudyirons New Member

Jul 31, 2005
    Long Beach, CA

By the way, just out of curiosity, why did you post this thread in the Galaxy board?

6. Bailamos

Bailamos New Member

Jul 26, 2005
    Talking about the Galaxy's newest rival, perhaps?

Bring it.

We took them down when they were Quakes, and heck, we've got a perfect record against Mexican franchise teams so far.

We'll turn the Houston Rancheros into Huevos Ranchero!

:)

7. Sean...

Sean... Member

Jul 23, 2005
    Ireland
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I hope this is a new rivalries becuase remember, this is still a team full of filth: Dero, Ching, Barrett, Mullan, Onstad, Robinson. Too bad White Trash isn't still there to poke fun at, I'll miss him. I can never like a team that has those names in it, SO BRING IT HOUSTON! :D

8. The Cadaver

The Cadaver It's very quiet here.

Oct 24, 2000
    La Cañada, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We will get a better picture of what's going on after today's press conference, but the last I heard Club America was not part of the deal, and I think Garber said that again yesterday too.

So we still have a 4th AEG operated team (name to be determined) now ioperating out of a different market rather than San Jose. Either AEG thinks it can get a better stadium deal done in a reasonable period of time in Houston and then off-load the team to somebody, or they have decided they can make a go of it in Houston and have flat out given up on making a go of it in San Jose.

It would be nivce to add CA's fans to the followers of MLS, but CA itself is not part of this deal right now. That doesn't mean they couldn't buy in later.

9. Sean...

Sean... Member

Jul 23, 2005
    Ireland
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Talks with CA stalled back in August and they pulled out of a potential deal with MLS in Houston. I tihnk that it will just be a new team with the quakes players and staff, new name, colours, everything.

10. Burden

Burden Member

Apr 20, 2005
    Long Beach, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I hope AEG keeps the Houston team, it cold be very profitable. There is nothing but land to develope in Texas as it is mostly a wasteland and should be able to get a SSS without much resistance from the cacti as opposed to those gaddamn tree hugging hippies in SJ who couldnt get it through their heads what that team meant to many other tree hugging hippes. Too much pot I guess. :rolleyes:

11. profiled

profiled Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 7, 2000
    slightly north of a mile high
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    On the press conference they're saying they'll be having an online vote to pick the team name (well help in that decision anyway).

12. Jorge El Tico

Jorge El Tico New Member

Mar 24, 2005
    Do you have something better to talk about?

13. Sean...

Sean... Member

Jul 23, 2005
    Ireland
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No freakin' way. I'm voting for the most disgusting hidious name 1,000 times if I have to. :D I'll screw the team up.

14. The Cadaver

The Cadaver It's very quiet here.

Oct 24, 2000
    La Cañada, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You don't expect that they will actually consider themselves bound by the vote. I bet we never see a tally of results, that the name is already selected, and the on line poll is a way to build a mailing list and gauge public interest.

15. Sean...

Sean... Member

Jul 23, 2005
    Ireland
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Thanks for shooting me down.

16. crookeddy

crookeddy Member+

Apr 27, 2004
    Honestly, they should keep them the Earthquakes. That's who theya re after all, not the Texans, or the Lone Starrers, or the Executioners or even the Republicans.

17. Esco

Esco New Member

Aug 1, 2005
    Long Beach
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    These bubble gum franchises are popping up left and right. It would be a real bad idea if Houston chooses to name thier new team with "America" somewhere in the title.

Are we not our own unique league? Do we have to build upon another leagues gloried past? Why do we look elsewhere for inspiration if we have the tools here in the US to establish a great caliber league of our own? I can see it now, the year is the 2020 and the MLS championship will be between:

Chelsea F.C. of New Jersey vs Boca Juniors of Toronto.

Is it not longevity which we are striving for? But yet the growth of our beautiful game is being handicapped by Corporate bottom lines and ludicrious demands for new stadiums. Before the league focuses on building another Home Depot Center, they should focus on getting their own Riot Squad first.

I understand, this is a business, profits and losses do matter but why should our league continue to be handicapped by these corporate quotas? Where do these executives draw the line between what's good for the fans and what's good for the owners pockets? Recently with the events in San Jose i'm thinking the latter is of more importance.

This new team in Houston is another Chivas USA to me, a depleted bunch of washed up nobody's about to be owned by the Galaxy and the rest of the league. As much as I hate the San Jose Earthquakes, at least some sort of respect was there. I'm a Galaxy fan more than anything else, but did is bad for the league which I also wholeheartedly support.

Maybe if I focus more on my work (which I should be doing right now) and save my $$$$ I one day can be a regular Roman Abramovich and purchase my own football club. Then the focus will be on the fans, the level of competition and exposure to other markets. For now I will just be another drone giving my hard earned money to AEG and Phillip Anschutz. A fan with high hopes of this league continuing to succeed and with no say in the proccess on how it should be carried through.

[​IMG]