America is doomed

Discussion in 'Politics & Current Events' started by BenReilly, Nov 30, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dan Loney

Dan Loney BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 10, 2000
    Cincilluminati
    Club:
    Los Angeles Sol
    Nat'l Team:
    Philippines
    I realize I'm carrying a card here, so I'll be delicate.

WHY THE ******** AM I SUPPOSED TO BE THE GOD-DAMNED BEAGLE-********ING AUTHORITY FOR ALL SCIENCE? AND EVEN IF I WAS, DINGLEBERRY, I DID ANSWER YOUR QUESTION - "YOUR STUPID-ASS QUESTION MAKES NO GOD-DAMNED SENSE IN THIS CONTEXT" WAS THE ANSWER! JACKASS

Did you also ask the guy at NASA/JPL who was going to qualify from CONCACAF this year? Jesus wept.

2. Smiley321

Smiley321 Member

Apr 21, 2002
    Concord, Ca
    I think that Loney is that guy who would have been the next Einstein but was demotivated by our school system and is instead inventing things like the Turbie-Twist.

3. Smiley321

Smiley321 Member

Apr 21, 2002
    Concord, Ca
    Or maybe writing jokes for Morty Gunty's sons

(The turbie-twist is a towel designed for wrapping around wet hair, for those of you that don't watch Fox News)

4. John Galt

John Galt Member

Aug 30, 2001
    Atlanta
    topcatcole, you can't seriously believe that humans who have faith are therefore devoid of all logic. You've dismissed the intelligence of the entire human race while illogically fooling yourself into believing you're the only rational objective force in the world.

5. John Galt

John Galt Member

Aug 30, 2001
    Atlanta
    Amen, Brother. Preach it.

I'm not sure why both sides are so adamant in their inability to accept the coexistence of science and faith in the human experience. Surely evolution can be accepted without that meaning there is no God? Surely God can be accepted without that meaning there is no science?

6. Chicago1871

Chicago1871 Member

Apr 21, 2001
    Chicago
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You'd think it would be possible, but somehow if you put two people of opposing viewpoints on this matter in a room together it degenerates into the two ends of the spectrum. To answer your two questions. Yes, and yes.

7. topcatcole

topcatcole BigSoccer Supporter

Apr 26, 2003
    Washington DC
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think if you read back through my posts you will see that I have NEVER, EVER said that one could not be intelligent and believe in god. I certainly have never said that those who have faith are devoid of all logic. I have done none of what you claim here. I have merely stated that it is inconsistent with science to believe in the supernatural, and that IMO god is a crutch used when people are either unwilling or afraid to take the next step. There are a lot of people who are willing to think about philosophy and science in great detail and in great depth. There comes a point when you have a question that cannot be answered by our current science, and at that point you have the choice of saying to yourself "this is the realm of god (or yahweh or voodoo or Wotan or ...), and no man can enter" or you can ask yourself the hard questions like "where was I wrong in my assumptions" or "what do I not yet know" or "am I looking at this correctly". IMO, taking the former road is a cop-out and is accepting an intellectual crutch.

8. topcatcole

Apr 26, 2003
    Washington DC
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I do accept that they coexist. Evolution can certainly be accepted without an individual having to recant their god. As to the last point, in a practical, day-to-day sense this is probably true. In fact I would say that scientists are open to the possibility of god, without depending on god to explain the universe to them. They are, however, looking for the evidence of god before accepting that god exists. Religious people start with the preconception of god and develop their world view with this as a central theme. Scientists start with observation and proceed to build their world view from these observations.

9. argentine soccer fan

Staff Member

Jan 18, 2001
    San Francisco Bay Area
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    I agree. I don't see the significance of a poll in which people are asked to give a choice between the scientifically proven theory of evolution and the metaphysical idea that human beings were created by God with a purpose.

It is not surprising that when given a choice, 'A' or 'B', people who are religious and who have probably not been exposed to science since high school will chose the option which says that God created them. But that doesn't mean the sky is falling over America, as some here seem to think. In fact, there need not be a choice. Religious people should be willing to embrace science, and scientific minds should be open to metaphysical speculation and faith. These are totaly different and unrelated subjects, and they are not mutually exclusive.

10. dreamer

dreamer Member

Aug 4, 2004

Good point.

11. royalstilton

royalstilton Member

Aug 2, 2004
    SoCal
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    ---
    that would be great if science had a theory for where matter came from, but it doesn't.

There. Is. No. Working. Hypothesis.

12. Norsk Troll

Norsk Troll Member+

Sep 7, 2000
    Central NJ
    So clearly, the ONLY thing left to do is insert fantastical mythology to explain everything? Thank you, no.

13. royalstilton

royalstilton Member

Aug 2, 2004
    SoCal
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    ---
    the theory of evolution has not been scientifically proved, or it would be the Law of Evolution. otherwise well presented point.

14. argentine soccer fan

Staff Member

Jan 18, 2001
    San Francisco Bay Area
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Nobody created God. He evolved into an all-powerful, perfect deity through a process called supernatural selection. His ancestors were primitive, less powerful, extremely naughty divine beings who liked to meddle in the affairs of Ancient Greece.

Didn't they teach you anything at school?

15. spejic

spejic Cautionary example

Mar 1, 1999
    San Rafael, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Try this for a good summary:
    http://ssscott.tripod.com/BigBang.html
    For a bigger summary with access to lots of links:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Big_Bang

Now please return the favor and answer the question yourself.

16. topcatcole

Apr 26, 2003
    Washington DC
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Your misunderstanding of how the words fact, theory and law are used by scientists is well documented in many threads.
    Evolution is fact. I understand that you will never believe this because you can't find it in your little book of ancient stories, but your lack of belief does not make it any less true.

17. spejic

spejic Cautionary example

Mar 1, 1999
    San Rafael, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    This is Biblically supported, as early in Genesis God is refered to in the plural.

18. royalstilton

royalstilton Member

Aug 2, 2004
    SoCal
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    ---
    but all you science guys go around spouting this stuff about how science has answers to big questions like the origins of life, when in reality the fundamental question of where matter came from has never ever been satisfactorily addressed.

if you would bother to familiarize yourself with Biblical prophesy, you would find that the fulfillments of dozens of prophesies are well documented, which takes the Bible out of the mythology realm, thank you. but since metaphysical phenomena are not cause/effect measurable, many/most academics don't like to admit of the probability that they are behind such things as the creation of the universe or the origins of life.

the single point i am making here, and one that has gone unaddressed, is that the scientific/academic world has not been able to develop a working hypothesis for the origins of matter, per se. and you want to write that off as a small potatoes problem. it simply is the most significant question left unanswered, but you fellows want to maunder on and on about mythologies and the fact that 300 years ago there was an Inquistion or witch burning, as if that had something to do with the existence of matter.

sorry, sir, but your dog won't hunt

19. MtMike

MtMike Member+

Nov 18, 1999
    the 417
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That's because of the doctrine of the Trinity, not because God evolved from other gods.

20. bungadiri

bungadiri Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Jan 25, 2002
    Acnestia
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This is a silly attempt to paint the theory of evolution as something that's not well established by the scientific method when it most certainly is or has not been thoroughly tested by evidence, which it most certainly has. Ever since Popper, it's been a generally recognized tenet in the philosophy of science that nothing can be completely proven. That doesn't stop any scientist from recognizing the relative strength of one theoretical model over another. This obtains for any theory in any field of scientific endeavor, but creationists disingenuously act like it applies singularly to evolution. It doesn't. Questioning the validity of the theory of evolution on this basis requires you to question the validity of any other theorectical explanation of nature produced by any scientific discipline.

21. royalstilton

royalstilton Member

Aug 2, 2004
    SoCal
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    ---
    evolution is fact only in a restricted sense, and extrapolating it to include the origins of life is scientifically unsupportable. but you wouldn't believe that because that would require a more complicated explanation.

22. topcatcole

Apr 26, 2003
    Washington DC
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It has everything to do with your statement that
    Is the relevance clear now?

Have we ever been able to stop you?
    Not my thinking, not my hyperbole.

Whatever that means.

You are good for a laugh, I'll give you that. The difference is a belief in observation, evidence and logic instead of supernatural beings.

While the janitor does an important job, he is probably not to be trusted in matters of cosmology.

Matter came from energy, energy came from the previous matter, ad infinitum. Give me one bit of proof that says your supernatural being makes more sense, while not violating Occam's razor, and I will publicly renouce my views on religion.

23. Norsk Troll

Norsk Troll Member+

Sep 7, 2000
    Central NJ
    Given that Jesus doesn't show up until the New Testament, how exactly do you make the Trinity retroactive to the book of Genesis, in the Old Testament?

24. royalstilton

royalstilton Member

Aug 2, 2004
    SoCal
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    ---
    no, we simply do not accept that you can say things cannot be proved and let it go at that. you ask me to prove there is a God, and i say it cannot be proved, but my claim that there is a God, based on the intuitive evidence that all things have causes, is dismissed, but your claim that evolution produces life must be accepted, because a certain amount of evidence leads one to believe it.

ultimately, the fact that evidence falls short of proving things means that these postulates or theories are just that. because this is an area of philosophical inquiry, it is subject to discussion and debate, and i don't accept that the issue is settled. apparently you do, but you might be just as wrong as you think i am.

25. topcatcole

Apr 26, 2003
    Washington DC
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Addressed repeatedly, comprehended never.

Like what? Are there any that weren't written about after the fact? Hardly the realm of prophesy, more like history. Good grief, why am I doing this? Royal, keep on dancing and praying to your mythological creatures.

Sheesh!

My dog doesn't have to hunt. He'll be fed by GOD!!!!!!
    :D