News: Amazon To Air a 3 Part Docuseries About The USMNT-Mexico Rivalry

Discussion in 'USA Men' started by Sebsasour, Aug 11, 2022.

1. Sebsasour

Sebsasour Member+

New Mexico United
    May 26, 2012
    Albuquerque NM
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Eighteen Alpha repped this.
  2. QuakeAttack

QuakeAttack Member+

Apr 10, 2002
    California - Bay Area
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Rivalry? Only the last 10-15 years. Before, the US was the underdog and had 2-0. Most recently (other than 2016), we have had a strong roster. Not sure that there has ever been a time where both teams were good at the same time. May be 2002-2006 timeframe.

Today, I feel like it's more of a money grab than a true rivalry. Both teams get into the WC except for rare exceptations.

3. NietzscheIsDead

NietzscheIsDead Member+

NO WAR
    United States
    May 31, 2019
    NO WAR
    It was a rivalry prior to 2002, albeit one that was inflamed after the round of 16 dos a cero in the World Cup that year.

deejay repped this.
  4. Master O

Master O Member+

Jul 7, 2006
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    As Soccer becomes one of the top 3 sports in the USA, it won't be much of a rivalry because Mexico won't stand much of a chance.

5. deejay

deejay Member+

Feb 14, 2000
    Tarpon Springs, FL
    Club:
    Jorge Wilstermann
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    Before 2002, MexNT fans claimed it wasn't a rivalry. It was for us definitely. I think they were being a little obtuse. In 1991 we eliminated them in the GC semis to win our first title. In 1995 we beat them in penalties at the Copa America quarter finals. It took the 2002 WC elimination to figure out that this is real.

FWIW, as a South American I was not convinced by the USMNT until the 1995 Copa America. I also learned to be annoyed by Mexico in the 1997 Copa America. It's been a wild ride since then.

6. rgli13

rgli13 Member+

Mar 23, 2005
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    weird marketing strategy, cause "around the world cup" i plan on watching the world cup- i dont care what documentary comes out.

release it on oct 1 and we can talk...

7. NietzscheIsDead

NietzscheIsDead Member+

NO WAR
    United States
    May 31, 2019
    NO WAR
    Or better yet…it seems like there would be an uptick in USMNT-related media prior to the World Cup as they capitalize on the excitement.

There are drafts and selection shows for other sports. There should absolutely be shows where you get guys like Herc Gomez and Alexi Lalas in a room to do USMNT roster selection shows and (Mexico’s as well)

8. NietzscheIsDead

NietzscheIsDead Member+

NO WAR
    United States
    May 31, 2019
    NO WAR
    Mexico will likely always stand a chance.

If they stand a chance against Brazil, Germany, etc, (and they do) they’ll stand a chance against the US.

9. QuakeAttack

QuakeAttack Member+

Apr 10, 2002
    California - Bay Area
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Good call out on the 1995 Copa America. Between the T&T game to qualify for 1990 WC, 1995 Copa America, and 2002 WC, I still think the 1995 Copa America was the most important for the USMNT. It showed for the first time that we were real. Yes, we had a nice run in the !994 WC, but it was playing defensively and at home. Someday, I hope that we replicate the emotion and feelings of the USMNT from 1995 through 2002, but I doubt it (at least in my lifetime). And yeah, I know 1998 WC was in that period, but you can't have high's without the low's.

10. Sebsasour

Sebsasour Member+

New Mexico United
    May 26, 2012
    Albuquerque NM
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You'll have an entire evening after the games. Also around The World Cup could mean the weeks before it. IIRC ESPN did their 30 for 30 Soccer Stories thing in the build up to Brazil