Am I the only one who missed this article??

Discussion in 'Pro Indoor Soccer' started by bomp, Jun 11, 2007.

1. bomp

bomp New Member

Dec 22, 1999
    Baltimore, MD.
  2. opal347

opal347 BigSoccer Supporter

Apr 18, 2005
    Clinton Twp, MI
    Club:
    Michigan Bucks
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Where did you hear that the NHL will have a team in KC? If you're referring to the Penguins' situation, that's been settled. They've been working on an arena in Pittsburgh for a while now. The Penguins aren't moving. If anybody is moving, it's Nashville after next year, but that'll be to Hamilton, Ontario. I just don't see KC happening this year. New Jersey, Orlando, and Monterrey is it.

3. bomp

bomp New Member

Dec 22, 1999
    Baltimore, MD.
    The NY Daily News. Sports Business News. KC and Vegas are in.

No, Pittsburgh is not moving. I am NOT talking about that mess. Yeah, Nashville to Hamiliton is possible as well. Not next season though.

4. lmfoust

lmfoust Member

Aug 2, 2000
    Cleveland
    Wow, that's the first time I've heard of either city since the Penguins struck their deal. These can't be expansion teams so who would be moving? Sure, the rumor is Nashville moving to Canada, but the owners don't like it. If anybody moves to Vegas it's them.

5. the shelts

the shelts Member+

Jun 30, 2005
    Providence RI
    Club:
    Nottingham Forest FC
    Bomp is spot on. (as usual) Gary Bettman said they are actively looking at expanding the NHL to 32 teams asafp. KC is the top contender and Jerry Bruckheimer wants to put a team in Las Vegas.

Of course minor issues like Nashville moving to Hamilton or Kitchener Ontario, the state of the NY Islanders whos major move last year was to promote the backup goalie to GM, the growing uncertainty in Carolina, the fact the Bruins are losing money strictly on a hockey business (kept alive by owning NESN), the fact the 2005 Stanley Cup Champs Tampa Bay Lightning who have the leagues attendance record are cancelling rookie camp because they can't afford it, the fact the NHL is so desperate for new money and TV they have agreed to play either rich Russian or Swiss teams for hockeys version of the FIFA World Club Championship and the fact that there are more pro teams in Texas than in Canada, that the Phoenix Coyotes couldn't sell out a large barn, none of this doesn't seem to concern Gary Bettman, his answer is to expand.

Of course before Gary Bettman some other guy used to work at the NHL and did a much better job (admittedly wasn't the commish) called Steve Fresh Money Ryan. Left the league in great shape.

Nashville has one more year left, unless they start selling out the rink and creating a buzz they will go to Hamilton's Copps Coliseum, who was once so desperate for a team they let the Toronto ThunderHawks have a couple of games and/or the city of Kitchener which is about 4 cities combined pop of 500 000 builds a new rink.

We might see the Winnipeg Jets back before long.

6. bomp

bomp New Member

Dec 22, 1999
    Baltimore, MD.
    The NHL is in really bad shape. Still losing loads of money after the strike. And they want to expand???

They are also on Versus which for them is not a good thing.

7. Capt. Chaos

Capt. Chaos Member

Chicago Fire & Reno 1868 FC
    United States
    Nov 12, 2005
    Way out in the land of the setting sun
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    Poland
    Alright, I'll join into the hockey bashing aswell. Carolina, Florida Need to be canned. Tampa I wouldn't mind surviving. A new Jets team would be fantastic, I actually think LV could support a team, but not NHL probably NBA or MLB.

Nashville would be bad if they moved, but might seem logical. Hamilton being so close to Toronto and then to Buffalo would be such a good rivalry and Detroit aswell. But, then the Bulldogs would be toast.

if the Seattle Sonics and Storm move...could we see the NHL there? And yes, the Isles...god they are dumb.

It sucks that 2 teams that have won the CUP in the last three seasons, are bad financially.

Oh ya, and Phoenix needs to be axed aswell.

I guess "Fresh" could be a good hatchet man for the Majors.

8. NSL2004

NSL2004 Member+

Jul 23, 2002
    Where are you guys reading about the NHL expanding?

Bettman has taken a beating for the last few rounds of expansion. If anything serious relocations are on the horizon. Seattle, Portland, Winnipeg, Hamilton, Oklahoma City, Houston, Kansas City, and Las Vegas are more likely to get a relocated team.

I hate to see any city lose a team when they "only" draw 14,000 a game. Hartford, Winnipeg, and Quebec shouldn't have lost their teams.

9. bomp

bomp New Member

Dec 22, 1999
    Baltimore, MD.
    Not moving anyone EXCEPT Nashville according to the articles last week. EXPANSION!! Bettman is learning from Stevie-Boy. Actually I think he is a nut.

On another note, the USBL looks to be dead. Minor league basketball ALMOST makes the MISL look healthy. Almost.

10. Paul Schmidt

Paul Schmidt Member

Feb 3, 2001
    Portland, Oregon!
    I've been given a formula as to when leagues seek to expand.

If revenues drop from one year to the next, count on an expansion.

NHL - makes sense, even though it makes no sense. Heck, how about pro/rel? :D

MLB - keep an eye out. Probably not the near future, but in a touch more than a handful of years away...

Oh, BTW... Kansas City, new building. Las Vegas, promise of new building. If your expansion city involves an arena already hosting an NBA team, place your money AGAINST that city.

11. bomp

bomp New Member

Dec 22, 1999
    Baltimore, MD.

Let's talk about the important stuff.... ;)

What are the chances of the MLS expanding to Portland??