Alumni News

Discussion in 'LA Galaxy' started by The Cadaver, Feb 22, 2011.

1. WarGalaxy

WarGalaxy Member+

May 29, 2011
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I’ve soured on Penedo considering the way he left. I put a little blame on him for the Galaxy not repeating in 2015.

Lazy Assed Assassin and The Cadaver repped this.
  2. Beep Boop Robot

Mar 11, 2015
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    I blame the club more than him. He wanted his contract extended and we wouldn't extend it. Extending it would have been the smart move. If Penedo is in goal for the rest of the season we probably win MLS Cup.

StillKickin, hav77 and skydog repped this.
  3. Lazy Assed Assassin

Jul 21, 2015
    True, but the club had already renegotiated his contract at the beginning of the season. He was playing well for LA, but he wasn’t the best goal keeper in the league and he wasn’t putting in performances that warranted a second contract renegotiation in the span of four months.

Jaime’s immediate post-Galaxy career goes a long way to showing which side acted in better faith that summer. If LA wanted to they could have told him to suck it up and see out his contract or try to trade/transfer him. Instead they cancelled the contract and allowed him to negotiate without another team having to worry about a transfer fee or giving up one of their players.

4. skydog

skydog Member+

Aug 1, 1999
    Durham, NC
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    There's probably blame on both sides. Penedo could have handled it better but I do think Bruce consistently undervalued him.

Berks, hav77 and TrickHog repped this.
  5. Lazy Assed Assassin

Jul 21, 2015
    Maybe. Bruce and the front office thought enough of him to give him a 30% raise from $135K to $178K which made him the 8th highest paid goal keeper in the league. Eighth might be a bit low, but at the same time the guys who were ahead of him had been in the league for years and been the beneficiary of MPLU annual raises. For the record and not in order:
    • Bill Hamid
    • Donovan Ricketts
    • Steve Clark
    • Sean Johnson
    • Dan Kennedy
    • David Ousted
    • Nick Rimando
    Of those Hamid, Johnson and Rimando were marquee/franchise players. I think Hamid was even a DP at that point.

Honestly the whole thing just rubs me the wrong way. Sitting out early games of the season until you get a new contract was frustrating as a fan, that he got a $40K raise and came back four months later and asking for more. Just struck me as greedy and having a massively overinflated sense of how much he was worth. I can’t think of another player in any league of any value to a team who’s asked to renegotiate a contract that soon after agreeing to such a big raise, especially without having done anything special to warrant a renegotiation. Even Zlatan who likely deserved a mid-season contract waited until the end of the season.

Ghosting, ragbone, WarGalaxy and 5 others repped this.
  6. skydog

skydog Member+

Aug 1, 1999
    Durham, NC
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    #256 skydog, Feb 22, 2019
    Last edited: Feb 22, 2019
    You might be (probably are) right. I don't remember all the details but I think Penedo's version was that he mainly wanted an extension rather than another raise. Also he had an outstanding 1.09 GAA (not all his doing but still very impressive). Anyway I liked Penedo so I am probably giving him the benefit of the doubt. He wasn't that big and his goal kicks sucked but when he was on the field he gave it his all and made a lot of spectacular saves.

It didn't help that Bruce did such a poor job with his replacements. Losing Penedo killed that season and gk has been a major weak spot since.

hav77 and TrickHog repped this.
  7. Lazy Assed Assassin

Jul 21, 2015
    Yep it was an extension, but an extension is still a form of compensation/reward. The time to negotiate for an extension was at the time of the raise. He could have asked for a smaller raise and an extra year. It’s a bit like asking your boss for a raise then four months later asking for an additional two weeks off per year.

That said, yeah Bruce did a terrible job replacing him. As others have mentioned for a former goal keeper Bruce did a remarkably poor job of managing that position. I’d go so far as to say it was the one position he consistently failed at and the bright spots of Penendo and Ricketts v1 look like dumb luck in hindsight.

I also like Penedo a lot. I thought he could have been a franchise player like Gato or Rimando. If he’d been a little more patient and a little less greedy I think it would have worked out for club and player.

The Cadaver and WarGalaxy repped this.
  8. 73Bruin

73Bruin Member+

Jul 12, 2008
    Torrance, California
    IIRC, Penedo was great at making stops during the run of play, but wasn't very good at taking charge of the box on set pieces and corner kicks in particular.

Beakmon FC and TrickHog repped this.
  9. skydog

skydog Member+

Aug 1, 1999
    Durham, NC
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Yep his small stature prevented him from controlling the air on ck's* and fk's but his shot stopping and smart positioning in general more than made up for it. He always had a 70%+ save rate and his career 1.09 GAA is reportedly 3rd best in league history for players with 50+ games.

Some of the credit for the low GAA goes to the defense in front of him, but a lot of it was him. As an example in Penedo's final season with us (2015) he played 16 games and gave up 19 goals. With the same defense Ricketts and Rowe together played 18 games and gave up 27 goals.

* I used to overestimate the danger of opponent ck's until I looked at the data. From a few studies I've seen teams across leagues tend to score once every 35-50 corner kicks, and this number includes all corner kick situations, not just direct scores (so flick ons, short corners, etc that yield goals are counted in this). Assume a typical MLS team takes an ave of 5 ck's/gm (just a guess, but prob not too far off). That would translate into 170 ck's and 3-5 goals per season. If we assume Penedo is only 75% as good at as a typical keeper at preventing scores from corners - that would mean this deficit would cost about 1 or 1.5 goals per season. Small potatoes when compared to the many goals he saves with his overall superior shot stopping abilities.

barroldinho, Ghosting, Berks and 2 others repped this.
  10. Dr.Phil

Dr.Phil Member+

Jan 18, 2004
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Hopefully we can see him again soon playing in MLS for San Antonio

hav77 and TrickHog repped this.
  11. Benny Dargle

Benny Dargle Member+

Jul 23, 2008
    LA

hav77, ShortyMac and TrickHog repped this.
  12. Dr.Phil

Dr.Phil Member+

Jan 18, 2004
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    1105579117183852544 is not a valid tweet id

13. TrickHog

TrickHog Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Los Angeles, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  14. skydog

skydog Member+

Aug 1, 1999
    Durham, NC
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    barroldinho and TrickHog repped this.
  15. The Cadaver

The Cadaver It's very quiet here.

Oct 24, 2000
    La Cañada, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This whole thing reminded me of a scene from the Rocky and Bulwinkle movie. I can't recall what they get arrested for, but they are brought into court where Whoopi Goldberg plays the judge. She looks up from her papers and breaks into a big grin and says, as I recall, "you are Rocky and Bullwinkle! You are celebrities! The law doesn't apply o celebrities!"

Beakmon FC repped this.
  16. Vindo310

Vindo310 Member+

Mar 19, 2009
    South Bay LA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What the hell is with this indoor soccer league? I never knew about it until Landon signed. Had this been common before for big names to head there? What are they offering these guys?

17. Lazy Assed Assassin

Jul 21, 2015
    The very first soccer game I attended in America was a San Diego Sockets game that was back in 1980.

I don't know about big names going there to retire, but in the early days of MLS some of the bigger indoor stars were signed to MLS. Preki probably being the most notable.

//edit whatever happened to Preki?

18. galvanator

galvanator Member

Dec 5, 2006
    Atascadero, CA USA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Apparently Preki is an assistant coach for Seattle. I had to look it up--my curiosity got the best of me!

Vindo310, barroldinho, Ghosting and 2 others repped this.
  19. ragbone

ragbone Member+

Sep 2, 2005
    Santo Tomas, Batangas, Philippines.
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Old man dos Santos (and his brother) played for the LA Lazers (MISL).

hav77 and Lazy Assed Assassin repped this.
  20. MPNumber9

MPNumber9 Member+

Oct 10, 2010
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I've been wanting to check out arena soccer for some time, now I feel I have a reason to go. Getting to see the GOAT play more soccer?

Arena soccer is a North American peculiarity, as its even a unique game from futsal. But the sport has sustained a fanbase and even various national pro and semi-pro leagues sporadically for 40-50 years. MASL apparently even has a development league. It's just odd that arena soccer culture and "regular" soccer culture in this country have so rarely overlapped. But I guess that's something like beach soccer. Don't people know the United States are Beach soccer World Cup finalists!?

Ghosting and StillKickin repped this.
  21. Geneva

Geneva LA for Life

Feb 5, 2003
    Southern Cal
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    My good friend plays the organ for the San Diego Sockers. I saw him yesterday and he said the games are a fun time. Apparently LD will be playing in upcoming away games -

StillKickin repped this.
  22. Benny Dargle

Benny Dargle Member+

Jul 23, 2008
    LA
    Apparently, Marcelo Sarvas is going for his A senior coaching license with USSF.

hav77, Ghosting and TrickHog repped this.
  23. cliche_guevara

Jun 1, 2004
    San Francisco, CA
    Also, Cap'n Dan! There's a name I've not heard for a while.

hav77, barroldinho, Beakmon FC and 2 others repped this.
  24. MPNumber9

MPNumber9 Member+

Oct 10, 2010
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Great video, but the coolest part? Our own Robbie Keane comes in at number 6! One of my favorite Keane goals ever (although they confuse him with ROY!)

Around the 5th minute.

25. Lazy Assed Assassin

Jul 21, 2015