Altidore's Status

Discussion in 'New York Red Bulls' started by Dr. Mario86, Aug 19, 2007.

1. Dr. Mario86

Dr. Mario86 New Member

Jul 23, 2007
    Berkeley
    I was just scanning the roster of RBNY, and found that Altidore is still listed as Development. Like, after all he's been doing for the club, he' still only getting something like $18k/season? He needs to renegotiate his contract fast, the same was Herc Gomez had to mid-season a couple years ago.

2. sublicon

sublicon Member

RBNY, Fulham FC
    United States
    May 28, 2006
    Brooklyn, NY
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  3. Toad_of_Toad_Hall

Toad_of_Toad_Hall New Member

Apr 17, 2006
    A state of confusion
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He'll be signing a new one, with some European club, this fall.

4. Dr. Mario86

Dr. Mario86 New Member

Jul 23, 2007
    Berkeley
    That list is very interesting. I don't know how anyone gets by on 12k a year. This list was clearly made at the beginning of the season when we didn't know how value some players would be(like Altidore), so I wonder about that.

Is this thing about him signing with a Euro club true, or just projection?

5. cthomer5000

cthomer5000 Member+

Apr 23, 2007
    Raleigh NC
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    He turns 18 at the end of the season, making him clear to go, and he has clearly stated that he is interested.... add in his stellar U-20 and league performances and he's probably the hottest US prospect heading overseas ever.

MLS would be wise to cash in when his stock is sky high. It's best for Jozy, best for the USMNT, and probably best for MLS financially.

It's not a certaintly... but even as a hardcore RBNY fan I will be *stunned* if he is on the roster opening day next year. Look for him to head overseas late Dec/early Jan.

6. metz

metz Member

Jan 17, 2003
    ¿What the hell are you talking about? ...Josy is making more than 100.000 dollars and, if he is in the category of Developed is because two reason, first: he is in a developed way of mind and second: the club haven't a room for another Senior player and because he is under 24 he can be considered a developed player, so be it, that don't make any difference or take nothing away from him...

7. Toad_of_Toad_Hall

Toad_of_Toad_Hall New Member

Apr 17, 2006
    A state of confusion
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I wish that I and most of the rest who post on here were, too. :p :D

8. wendel

wendel New Member

Jun 24, 2007
    Paris
    dont forget endorsements from addias. hes 17 for christ sake do we really need to worry about him being poor. i was poor at 17 hell i'm poor at 22

9. metz

metz Member

Jan 17, 2003
    Yeah, maybe he is making more money than Angel and Reyna together...

10. j1mbr0wn

j1mbr0wn Member

Jun 3, 2005
    Newark, NJ
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well, he's getting more dates to the prom, if you know what I mean... :rolleyes:

11. The Soccerwiz

The Soccerwiz New Member

Jun 8, 2007
    In the US&A
    Altidore is on the first page of Yahoo, the kid is slowly making a name for himself and he is only getting better.

12. Kidtelex

Kidtelex New Member

Oct 1, 2006
    Long Island
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    i feel like with his growing popularity (cover of fifa in particular), doing all that we can to keep him for one more year, or even two for our new stadiums opening, would do wonders for our team and league. If he's on fifa 08 wearing a red bull jersey and then 4 months later he's nowhere to be found in america, i feel like all the casual fans we've been trying to convert will again be confused by MLS product.
    I know with every good outing Jozy has, the chance of him leaving increases, but i really really really really hope he stays a red bull a tad longer (really).

13. metz

metz Member

Jan 17, 2003
    All depend of how much a team offer for his transfer and salary, but one more year will be a great feast for the Red Bulls and MLS Fan and hopefully for him too, who could even bettered any ofert making to him this year if he continues his advanced as He is doing until now...

But for all this, the Red Bulls have to match the offer of the salary any team make to him for next year...

14. j1mbr0wn

j1mbr0wn Member

Jun 3, 2005
    Newark, NJ
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    One thing working in our favor:

His fame would be much greater here than in Europe. As long as he's here, he's a highly marketable asset for US sports companies. Once he's in Europe, he's just one of the crowd. This has nothing to do with soccer, but everything to do with fame. If he wants to be Beckham jr., he'll need to stay here for a while.

15. Rooney20

Rooney20 Member+

Jan 8, 2007
    New York
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    After hearing speak through out this yr..It doesnt seem that he wants to become famous...I think its football first for him.

16. metz

metz Member

Jan 17, 2003
    Of course, but if he can have a couple millions endorsement he will stay couple years more... Because no team will give him that kind of salary in his rookie years..

17. Rooney20

Rooney20 Member+

Jan 8, 2007
    New York
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If he got more sponsorships like the Addidas one he has I dont think he would take off so soon.

If some one spun it this way

Posterboy/Savior of American Soccer v Playing in Europe

He wouldnt leave.

18. david_silva

david_silva New Member

Apr 21, 2006
    Canada
    Hey guys! First off, thanks for the ass kicking you gave Toronto FC a few weeks back... we deserved it. Anyways, a large fan base of my side, Celta de Vigo are trying to get a rally going so that we can sign Altidore on his 18th birthday and have him playing in January. We were recently relegated to the Spanish second division after playing in the UEFA Cup last year and being in Champions League 3 years ago and Jozy would be the number 9 we desperately need to get us back up. Most of the fans in Europe agree that he's not the typical American soccer player going over; Altidore has the technical ability to be able to play in Italy or Spain.

Seeing as though he would probably not get a work permit in the UK because he's not capped yet, our club would be the ideal place for him to start and our coach Hristo Stoichkov would be the ideal person for him to learn from. We've sent in a DVD of all his goals in the MLS and at the under-20 World Cup to Stoichkov and our sporting director and hopefully they'll listen to us.

19. Bora Fan

Bora Fan Member

Dec 14, 1998
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Altidore should stick around for 2 more seasons - then go to Europe at the ripe old age of 20 and with WCQ under his belt.

Teams can get him for free - so there would be a feeding frenzy.

Also when you think about it - he'd be a major star - and with 2 more years of Beckham exposure he'd have even more interest.

He could make his mistakes in MLS where it won't cost him a starting spot in the line-up.

He can continue to get mentoring from JPA and Bruce Arena - plus he could lock down a spot on the MNT and play in the Olympics without club conflicts issues.

There is no rush to get to Europe - and with 2 more years of MLS experience he'd be fully ripe.

20. GIO17

GIO17 Member

Nov 29, 1998
    Before we all start assuming what Jozy should do or wants to do. Can we just enjoy him playing for the club and scoring goals. Can we just hope that he stays and tries to help the club win a championship before he goes over the Atlantic.

Maybe he doesn't want to go and stays in MLS. Let him gain his valueable experience with JPA & Bruce. Then when the time is right he will decide when he is ready to go.

21. Metrosuccess

Metrosuccess Member

Jan 6, 2000
    NJ
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I am sure with Arena, Williams, Agoos, and Harkes around Jozy will do what is best for him long term when the tme comes. No need right now, I agree to even think about anything except watching him grow with us is premature and unneeded.

22. viper

viper New Member

Jun 7, 2000
    Paramus, NJ
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    From today's Big Apple Soccer (By Michael Lewis):

http://www.bigapplesoccer.com/columns/lewis.php?article_id=11084

23. Readingda07EPLChamps

Aug 9, 2007
    Chicago
    is Altidore staying on RBNY or is he going to some epl team

i want him to stay!

24. david_silva

david_silva New Member

Apr 21, 2006
    Canada
    Nearly impossible he goes to England because of the work permit issue. He hasn't debuted as a senior international yet and the special permits are given very discreetly (ie. only one given out this year, and that was to Anderson).