Altidore: Villarreal vs. Sevilla, Dec. 14, 13:00 ET

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad Gameday' started by Bite o' the Cherry, Dec 13, 2008.

1. Bite o' the Cherry

Charlotte FC
    United States
    May 3, 2006
    Charlotte, NC, USA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No Rossi or Nihat (both sick), but Llorente is back, so he and our Josmer are named along with Guille Franco to represent the Yellow Submarine in attack. Good chance to see him against a quality side.

"La gran novedad de la lista es, sin duda, la reaparición del goleador de esta temporada: Joseba Llorente, que lleva seis tantos en Liga y tres en Champions, vuelve después de casi un mes –se lesionó el 16 de noviembre ante el Málaga-, tras haber superado la rotura fibrilar en su pierna derecha.
    Por el contrario, los delanteros Rossi y Nihat no podrán estar a disposición por un fuerte cuadro gripal, como así tampoco lo harán Cani por una sobrecarga muscular y Javi Venta por una rotura parcial (esguince) de ligamento de su tobillo derecho."
    www.villarrealcf.es/

2. ragin bear

ragin bear New Member

Nov 20, 2008
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Are you saying that he is starting?

3. smokarz

smokarz Member+

Aug 9, 2006
    Hartford, CT
    There is a strong chance he could start.

Llorente just came back so not sure if he's ready to go 90. Remember, Nihat came back two weeks ago and still haven't start.

And even if Llorente start, Jozy might have already surpassed Franco as the fourth striker, so he can partner up with Llorente.

4. DMTerp02

DMTerp02 Member+

Jun 2, 2007
    Annapolis, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He probably gets minutes, at least. Amazing really, a teenage American playing an important role on an arguable top 10 team in the world.

5. irish56

irish56 Member+

Oct 30, 2006
    indy
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Does GolTV have this one?

6. DMTerp02

DMTerp02 Member+

Jun 2, 2007
    Annapolis, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  7. Fire Bradley

Fire Bradley Member

Aug 28, 2008
    Houston
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I hate Dish Network!!!

8. An Unpaved Road

An Unpaved Road Member+

Mar 22, 2006
    Club:
    --other--
    Yeah. Now let's see him bury one tomorrow and take an even bigger step.

9. Altidore_Adu_Fan

Sep 30, 2007
    Hammond In
    me 2

10. ...In my defense

Feb 11, 2006
    LOL really? How did you come to that conclusion?

11. Gorky

Gorky Member+

Jul 28, 2006
    NYC
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    There is some evidence of that - a few weeks ago Jozy was called into the squad while Guille Franco was omitted "for technical reasons" ie, not an injury. So at that point Jozy was preferable to Guille Franco.

12. sMiLeYz

sMiLeYz Member

Oct 17, 2008
    Baltimore
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I can't guess what is in Pellegreni's head but seeing as he put Jozy out for 90 minutes, I'm thinking hes not keeping a 10 million dollar signing to rot the bench. Jozy hasn't lit the world on fire, but hes played good enough for continual starts, I think thats what he gets. Hes gonna sit Jozy against the Real Madrid, Barcalona types, but otherwise hes going to continue to play him in La Liga possibly Champions League.

13. ...In my defense

Feb 11, 2006
    Guille has been carrying around a knock for a while now, not enough to consider him "injured."

And no, that's not "evidence" and doesn't prove your point.

Jozy is at the bottom of the forward depth chart right now and that will surely change in the coming years but you're grasping at straws with comments like that.

I don't really think Guille Franco is a great player but he fits perfectly into Pellegrini's system and plays really well with either Nihat or Rossi. Those are the facts.

Give Jozy at least a full season to adapt and he will surely begin to make a mark with Villareal but don't reach for the stars just yet.

14. DirtyJerzey

DirtyJerzey Member

May 30, 2005
    Harrison, NJ
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not saying you're wrong, but if Altidore gets the start, then would you consider him over Franco for the 4th striker role?

15. ...In my defense

Feb 11, 2006
    If Jozy is added to the Champions League roster for the upcoming rounds then yes.

Starting over Franco in a few La Liga games doesn't really tell us anything.

16. appoo

appoo Member+

Jul 30, 2001
    USA
    It does when it's on the road against Sevilla. If he starts over a healthy Franco on this match it's fair to suggest that our boy has beaten him out

17. ...In my defense

Feb 11, 2006
    When/If all five strikers are healthy and Jozy beats out Franco for a starting spot then yes, anything else is pure speculation.

With that said, I think he'll get the nod ahead of Franco tomorrow.

Hopefully Jozy and Rossi can connect and score a couple goals since I think that'll be the strike partnership of the future for the yellow submarine.

18. toddk15

toddk15 Guest

When/if all five strikers are healthy, neither Jozy or Franco will be starting.

19. Rainer24

Rainer24 Member

Jan 6, 2008
    Nashville, TN
    Club:
    VfB Stuttgart
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Franco was probably just being saved for the Champions League. Still, it's nice to see Jozy making onto the field at all.

20. ...In my defense

Feb 11, 2006
    Excellent point and I don't really remember the last time one of those guys wasn't injured.

Like I said before though, the real indicator will be if Jozy is added to the CL roster next month.

21. alocksley

alocksley Member

Jan 30, 2004
    Burbank, CA
    Franco hasn't scored since last season and was sent off vs. Celtic in the CL, so he could be in the doghouse. Jozy could be ahead of him in the pecking order at the moment. We'll find out soon enough.

22. Blustar

Blustar Member

May 30, 2006
    Club:
    Miami FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Any starting lineups yet?

23. ussoccerFan12358

Mar 11, 2006
    Central NY
    At soccernet, the kickoff time jsut went from 11 ET to 1 ET.

24. ...In my defense

Feb 11, 2006
    Franco has been injured a lot lately but when he has played he has connected well with his teammates and has scored in the CL.

I wasn't really all that impressed with Jozy during the Getafe game, hopefully he can improve on that performance and play well enough to make Pellegrini want to add him to the CL roster.

baby steps guys, baby steps.

25. slickguy2011

slickguy2011 New Member

May 29, 2008
    I think that Pellegreni is a smart coach. He is consistently starting or playing Jozy and trying to get him into a rythm. Jozy has skill and somehow consistently has the ability to get into dangerous places and make dangerous plays even when he is "underperforming". Even though he is not in a rythm yet, he is still contributing and showing that he has a lot of potential. Once he gets more experience with the team and once he gets on the same page as his teammates, he will certainly excel. It also doesn't hurt that as a 19 year old he can fight off defenders to hold/dribble the ball upfield.