Altidore (on bench) - Sunderland v Cardiff (4/27)

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad Gameday' started by afgrijselijkheid, Apr 27, 2014.

1. afgrijselijkheid

Dec 29, 2002
    mokum
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Alternate thread title.... Dr. Strangeclub: or How I Learned to Stop Worrying About PK Calls and Love the Game.

Mannone, Vergini, Alonso, O'Shea (c), Brown, Cattermole, Larsson, Colback, Johnson, Borini, Wickham

subs: Bardsley, Gardner, Altidore, Giaccherini, Bridcutt, Scocco, Ustari

glennaldo_sf repped this.
  2. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    I don't get why they never start Giaccherini.

3. glennaldo_sf

glennaldo_sf Member+

Houston Dynamo, Penang FC, Al Duhail
    United States
    Nov 25, 2004
    Doha, Qatar
    Club:
    FL Fart Vang Hedmark
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    okay I'm going to call this .... 1-1 but with 10 minutes to go, Altidore to come off the bench and fall over his own shoe laces while trying to shoot in the box and win a dubious late penalty for Borini to score from and save Sunderland from the doldrums of championship!

4. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    Playing like two desperate teams. I'm afraid the soccer today will be high school level.

5. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    Wickham is their hero. 1-0.

6. comoesa

comoesa Member+

Aug 13, 2010
    Christen Press's armpit
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Man, Borini winning thee balls in the air...he's going to be some player for Liverpool.

Wickham is scoring with the same players that Altidore could not.

7. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    Cardiff down to ten, Caulker straight red due to DOGSO.

They are another team better at bunkering, so this could end 1-0 now.

PS: S'land also given a penalty. Kind of unfair, the foul was outside the box. 2-0.

8. jcsd

jcsd Member+

Jan 27, 2006
    2-0 up and with an extra man, it would take something special for Sunderland not to take the 3 points today.

9. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    If this result holds, S'land are out of the relegation zone with one game in hand.

10. usry723

usry723 Member+

Aug 14, 2008
    Georgia, USA
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That was the softest "foul" I've ever seen. I've had handshakes firmer than that.

11. glennaldo_sf

glennaldo_sf Member+

Houston Dynamo, Penang FC, Al Duhail
    United States
    Nov 25, 2004
    Doha, Qatar
    Club:
    FL Fart Vang Hedmark
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Goodbye Cardiff!

12. Thomas A Fina

Thomas A Fina Member

Mar 29, 1999
    Hell
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And that's the difference between jozy and wickham. Wickham is far better at set pieces and harassing defenders. Both absolutely crucial skills when playing for a lower level English prem team. Netted them two absolutely vital goals. I see zero way jozy isn't off on loan next year.

Statman and russ repped this.
  13. Bigrose30

Bigrose30 Member+

Sep 11, 2004
    Jersey City, NJ
    Denial of goal scoring opportunity, but the referee allowed play to go on due to advantage.

The chance was then missed, the play brought back, a penalty given and the player sent off and also suspended for the next match.

I wouldn't be surprised if this led to a change in the rules. Perhaps DOGSO shouldn't be able to be given after advantage is played? The penalty + red card is already viewed as rather punitive.

14. JozyBradley

JozyBradley Member

Sep 1, 2013
    Well, I guess this puts to rest the theory that only a world class strikers could score goals consistently playing in this Sunderland team and Jozy struggle had more to do with these Sunderland players....Never believed that since a healthy Fletcher did scored 11 last year while missing the final 2 months of last year campaign....Wickham has now scored 4 goals in what? 7 starts?.....That proves most of the problem resided with Jozy instead of his teammates.

15. Thomas A Fina

Thomas A Fina Member

Mar 29, 1999
    Hell
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He grabbed him as wickham was blowing past him. Doesn't matter how soft the touch was. Clear DOGSO. Clear red. He did blow The penalty call though.

16. eric_appleby

eric_appleby Member+

Jun 11, 1999
    Down East
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Cattermole is a potential red card at any moment. Looks like he tried to head butt a Cardiff player.

17. Bigrose30

Bigrose30 Member+

Sep 11, 2004
    Jersey City, NJ
    If it's a clear red it has to be called immediately (edit: not by the rules of the game of course, but in my opinion due to the logic below)

If Wickham goes on to score after the advantage, is the Cardiff player still sent off?

18. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    Jozy lacks mental toughness. The S'land fans also criticized Wickham hard, as they're wont to do with most of their players. He took it as a challenge, and got fired up. Jozy, instead, allowed them to get in their head. Wickham ignored the bad tweets. Jozy replied to many of them, trying to appear untouched.

19. usry723

usry723 Member+

Aug 14, 2008
    Georgia, USA
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I suppose, you're right. I'm too sleep deprived to really think about it at the moment. It was just soft as hell.

20. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    Yes, but the penalty is not given.

The wait was for the penalty (wrongly given IMO), nothing to do with the DOGSO.

21. Bigrose30

Bigrose30 Member+

Sep 11, 2004
    Jersey City, NJ
    Please, please, please don't turn the gameday thread into the madness that is the main thread.

Chance, Bite o' the Cherry and wixson7 repped this.
  22. GreatGonzo

GreatGonzo Member+

Jul 1, 1999
    MA
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    No, it doesn't, but only if there's a clear goal scoring opportunity after that. That said, if Dowd thought that the opportunity after that was a clear goal scoring opportunity, then the foul didn't really deny an obvious goal-scoring opportunity, did it?

No, because the goal-scoring opportunity was realized.

23. Bigrose30

Bigrose30 Member+

Sep 11, 2004
    Jersey City, NJ
    So he gets sent off for DOGSO after the official allows the play to continue to allow the GSO to happen...

It's a bit too much liberty being taken by the officials due to an unclear rule and I think that will be rectified.

24. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    The DOGSO was fair. Obstruction is enough for it, no foul is necessary.

The penalty is the bad call, IMO.

Since the ref couldn't stop play immediately, because if they scored no penalty was needed, it looked like it was a long wait to call the DOGSO. But it wasn't. The ref knew right away it was a red for DOGSO, but he had to wait to see if the penalty was also needed.

25. Thomas A Fina

Thomas A Fina Member

Mar 29, 1999
    Hell
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I agree. I was referring to the foul itself being red cardable.
    From what the announcers said, it's not the first time Webb has let an advantage drag like this