Altidore not in squad for Mexico friendly?

Discussion in 'USA Men: News & Analysis' started by GoHawks4, Jan 25, 2008.

1. FirstStar

FirstStar Hustlin' for the USA

Fulham Football Club
    Feb 1, 2005
    Time's Arrow
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Disagree. The U-23 team needs to get used to playing with Jozy up top. We need to get into that competition to help develop our youth teams. Also, the Olympics is an important stage to market our players to the world-- note how Zizzo and Sztella came out of (relative) no where to get Euro contracts after the U-20 WYC. Playing well in the Olympics will up Jozy's value more than a US/Mex friendly (b/c a LOT more scouts will pay attention to the Olympics) and doing well there will help showcase more of our talent. It's a no-brainer, really, that the Olympics are a top priority.

2. FirstStar

Fulham Football Club
    Feb 1, 2005
    Time's Arrow
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

1980 put the NHL on the map.

3. Tmagic77

Tmagic77 Member+

Feb 10, 2003
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Really? All the US players were from college.

4. Super White Boy

Super White Boy New Member

Mar 6, 2005
    Gaithersburg, MD

5. Pbourgeacq

Pbourgeacq New Member

Aug 8, 2001
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Let's not forget what country knocked us out of Olympic qualification last time around: our old rival Mexico!

So while it's important to beat Mexico in a friendly, it's more important to be able to beat them with something like Olympic qualification on the line.

6. toddk15

toddk15 Guest

Aren't the groups setup so that US and Mexico won't face each other with Olympic qualification on the line this time?

7. sregis

sregis Member

Nov 5, 1999
    Hoboken, USA

8. Pbourgeacq

Pbourgeacq New Member

Aug 8, 2001
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That's not the way I understand it. My understanding is that if both the US and Mexico finish first in their group they won't play each other in the knockout round; however, if one of them finishes second and the other finishes first (like what happened last time), they play each other for all the marbles. Is this not the case?

9. luftmensch

luftmensch Member+

United States
    May 4, 2006
    Petaluma
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You've got quite the little ego wrapped up into this thing. You'd really rather beat Mexico yet again than see our team in the Olympics? Interesting priorities, bud. I'd much rather us make it to the Olympics and Mexico not. That's a far more satisfying face-rubbing than beating them in a friendly.

10. FirstStar

Fulham Football Club
    Feb 1, 2005
    Time's Arrow
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    True-- but the NHL harnessed the public interest generated by the medal run. It was pivotal for their development.

11. Super White Boy

Mar 6, 2005
    Gaithersburg, MD
    Could not agree more!

12. stinky

stinky Member

May 14, 2000
    Long Beach, NY
    jozy playing against mexico will do far better for our U-23 team in qualifying than jozy spending a training day with the U-23's.

and Michael Bradley's going to be on the U-23 team and will be there for the Mexico game, so there's no reason Jozy can't be there too.

13. frescoxl

frescoxl New Member

Jun 12, 2007
    Saint Louis
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    For the qualifying the top team from each group advances to Beijing 2008. US will be in a different group than Mexico so in reality the US cannot do anything to keep Mexico out of Beijing 2008. I think the US should bring in Jozy and Adu for the friendly against Mexico which is going to be more important for there development in the future than training with the u 23

Either get experience with one of the biggest rivals the US has and train with the US team or training with younger guys with less skill.

14. sregis

sregis Member

Nov 5, 1999
    Hoboken, USA
    is adu available?

15. Adam Zebrowski

Adam Zebrowski New Member

May 28, 1999
    if usa wins the group and mexico wins their group, can't meet until the finals...

if BOTH are 2nd in their group, can meet until the finals

if 1 is 1st and the other 2, then they meet in the semis...

if either is 3 or 4, they don't get to the semis....

so on matchday 3, if mexico is playing after the usa result is known, they know what sort of result avoids the usa...

16. Super White Boy

Mar 6, 2005
    Gaithersburg, MD
    The two teams that win their semi-finals go to the Olympics. If for some reason the US or Mexico do not win their groups they will play each other in the Semis and determine who will go to the olympics.

It is very important to be given time to gel with your team mates before a big tournament like this.

17. Adam Zebrowski

May 28, 1999
    the problem for usa may be the absence of guys like bradley or adu in oly qualifying...

if usa meets mexico without those two, would you really put your pesos on usa??

18. GoHawks4

GoHawks4 Member

Apr 24, 2002
    Chicago
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yes. We've beaten Mexico without those two how many times?

19. Adam Zebrowski

May 28, 1999
    last olympic qualifier, what did mexico do to donovan and beasley???

usa wasn't in athens...

worst scenario is seeing them in the semis without both adu and bradley...

be cocky, but it will be tough without adu and bradley...

20. pepelutivruski4

pepelutivruski4 New Member

Jun 7, 2007
    Los Angeles
    i feel like i'm in the wrong hood... (childhood in lynwood re-lived)

in any case, i would prioritize olympics over any rivalry. these friendlies are more for making heaps of money for both teams, TV stations, etc.
    i haven't seen the rosters for either team for the feb 6 meeting, if anyone would like to link to either roster confirmed for that friendly, i'd be grateful.
    for what it's worth, as a friendly, i undoubtedly hope to see mexico succeed, but do hope the US wins in the end as it keeps most mexicans who still don't know how to behave like human beings, down at a quiet level.
    i think that is ultimately what bothers me about this rivalry, is the $hit talking. Also, i respect donovan as a football player, but he tends to put on a different hat (vicitim of everything and prick to all that is green and white) against mexico that i don't like about him, specially as a captain.
    i think both these teams have a great deal to learn from each other now more than ever, and they seem too wrapped up in the BS to capture the good qualities of one another.
    in an interview, which he got a lot of crap for, Hugo Sanchez stated that US is to be treated like any other team , not as good VS evil. both teams have the potential to play good clean football, sadly w/ 1 bad call it turns in jungle ball w/ arms flying "accidentally" here and there.
    bottom line i guess i do agree w/ the lot of you who think jozy should keep his eyes on the real price, and out of his ass w/ this hyped up rivalry.
    does anyone else feel like i do?

for what's it's worth, i think any midfield bradley can throw at mexico's best possible midfield... well, i'd put my money on the US still. Guardado and Torrado are the best we can do in midfield right now... sad no?

21. GoHawks4

GoHawks4 Member

Apr 24, 2002
    Chicago
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I misread your post, I apologize. I thought you were saying the US would have trouble beating Mexico in the friendly if Adu and Bradley were away with the U-23 team.

22. wolfp10

wolfp10 Member

Sep 25, 2005
    Qualifying for the Olympics > playing in a friendly against Mexico

23. jamesl

jamesl Red Card

Jul 16, 2007
    Vastly.

24. hoboken16

hoboken16 Member

Jan 16, 2003
    Jersey City, NJ USA
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm sorry I missed the part that Jozy definately not going to play against Mexico. He can play in both if called upon. Considering Bradley and Adu will probably not available for the qualifiers we could use Jozy on the squad

25. wsmaugham

wsmaugham Member+

Apr 3, 2002
    Chicago
    If he is called in after being sent away I'd have to seriously question Bradley's wisdom concerning Jozy. He's playing with the best players now. If Bradley is planning on using him, why would he jeapordize continuity by sending him away? We've had a striker crisis since McBride retired. If we're going to use him, why go in half-arsed?

Penny wise pound foolish.