Altidore: Hull vs. Sunderland, 4/24 (R)

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad Gameday' started by Scotty, Apr 24, 2010.

1. Unimane

Unimane Member+

Jul 28, 2009
    Nashville
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Jozy's plenty capable of scoring against England. It isn't as if he's been on the national team for a game or two, he's pushing two years of fairly steady time for the US. Jozy will also have much better players surrounding him with the national team. It does't mean he will score, but to say he's not ready is not really true.

In reality, he got stuck on a horrible team that offered him few chances to score. He wasn't very opportune in taking advantage of those few chances, granted. However, Jozy's a better player than you are insinuating. Hopefully, he'll be at Villareal next year and show more of his capabilities.

2. gmonn

gmonn Member+

Dec 8, 2005
    I don't think anything will hurt him. Taken as a whole, he was thrown into one of the very worst teams in one of the very best leagues (and the hardest to adapt to), at age 19, and he wasn't overwhelmed, and two managers continued to give him a lot of minutes. And he improved. That's a win. Actually, I'm more concerned about the temper thing than anything else. We *really* don't need Jozy thrown off in the WC.

3. jcsd

jcsd Member+

Jan 27, 2006
    I think it shows that his overall game as a striker wasn't ready to get as much playing time as he did in a league like the Premiership. Hull didn't have a lot of optiosn at all upfront

Hull were a crap team and Jozy is a very young player, but his goal per games ratio is probably one of the worst of all-time in the Premiership for a pure forward, something likee that won't be ignored until he's proven he can score goals at this level.

4. JG

JG Member+

Jun 27, 1999
    On the plus side his assists per minute ratio is probably one of the best of all time for a forward.

5. iad_22201

iad_22201 Member+

Jan 2, 2009
    Washington, DC
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yes, Hull is a very poor team and Jozy didn't get much service, but I don't think that means we should ignore his goal scoring record. I firmly believe that a better striker would have found a way to score more goals, even with the poor service from the Hull midfield. Let's be honest, the main reason Jozy got a ton of minutes from Brown and Dowie is because they didn't have any better options. I like Jozy a lot and think he has tremendous potential, but he's only 20 and still needs a few years of development before he's ready to be a solid Premier League quality striker.

And as for Jozy's temper, there are a number of other US players who I'm more worried about getting a red card than Jozy...

6. Higher Learning

Jul 1, 2009
    San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    anyone have the video of jozy's red card?

7. CenterLine

CenterLine Member

Jan 17, 2009
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sorry, couldn't find a video, but here's the picture: :D
    [​IMG]

8. arkjayback

arkjayback Member

Mar 29, 2008
    Le Mars, IA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ah, beat me to it. Thats not the type of player Jozy is, but he has clearly reached his boiling point. Getting out of Hull as soon as possible is the best step in his World Cup preparation.

However, saying that EJ and Gomez are ahead of him now is pretty ridiculous.

9. glennaldo_sf

glennaldo_sf Member+

Houston Dynamo, Penang FC, Al Duhail
    United States
    Nov 25, 2004
    Doha, Qatar
    Club:
    FL Fart Vang Hedmark
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We need to name the next Jozy thread... "A hull of a butt-head"

10. eric_appleby

eric_appleby Member+

Jun 11, 1999
    Down East
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Eh, who cares. I'm sorry , but i'm not going to have a nervous breakdown over Jozy getting a red. It was a symbolic way to end his stint with this shite team.
    I wish they would terminate the loan now and let him come home a few weeks early.

11. arkjayback

arkjayback Member

Mar 29, 2008
    Le Mars, IA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If he gets suspended for their remaining games, I can't really see what he's worth to them now.

12. zapem_10

zapem_10 Member

Nov 25, 2009
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Tell me Hutton doesn't look horrified...

[​IMG]

13. arkjayback

arkjayback Member

Mar 29, 2008
    Le Mars, IA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    There's got to be at least a little something to this. I mean, I know he's getting as frustrated as ever at Hull, but we still never saw him act like this before Dowie showed up.

14. Blustar

Blustar Member

May 30, 2006
    Club:
    Miami FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What was Zamora's goals to minute ratio last year for Fulham??? A forward can't score if he doesn't get fed. He scores at a deent rate for the Nats so I'm not worried.

15. iad_22201

iad_22201 Member+

Jan 2, 2009
    Washington, DC
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not sure what point you're trying to make with the reference to Zamora at Fulham last year. I think you'll find that most Fulham fans think that Zamora got decent service last year and the reason he only scored 5 in 44 appearances was because he couldn't hit the broad side of a barn. That's why this seasons performance is so surprising.

16. jcsd

jcsd Member+

Jan 27, 2006
    He had 3 in 35, crap indeed, but still better than Altidore's. A goal for every 900 minutes played compared to every 1500 minutes for Altidore.

So yes there are strikers who have had pretty dire goalscoring records, but there are very few if any strikers who have played in 28 Premier league games in a season and only have 1 goal to show for it. Even in the record breakingly-bad team of Derby County in the 07-08 season all the strikers who saw signifcant time on the pitch had better goals to game ratios and that was in the context of being the lowest scoring club in Premiership history. Ditto with Sunderland in the 2002-03 season who had the 2nd worst Premiership record in history and had the 2nd lowest goals for in a season.

I think you may very well find that for a striker who played in 20+ (or maybe even 15+) games in season he has the worst gpg ratio for a Premirship season ever. Everyone knows that weren't bags of goals to score at Hull, but his goalscoring record is still bad in the context of playing for Hull City. He does have talent, but he just wasn't ready to play this many games at this level.

My opinion of him for the USMNT in the Confederations Cup was that despite his goal against Spain he didn't look that dangerous or confident in front of goal. In the World Cup I think the USA's main goal threats will be the midfield (i.e. Donovan and in particular Dempsey).

edited to add: That may sound a bit hardsh, but the only two points I'm trying to make are that his goal scoring record shouldn't be ignored by fans and it cdertainly won't be ignored by prospective clubs. I think a club looking to buy him (or indeed Villarreal) will look at his goalscoring record and come to a simalir conclusion as mine i.e. he isn't ready at this present point in time to be starting forward at a league at this level.

17. iad_22201

iad_22201 Member+

Jan 2, 2009
    Washington, DC
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And let me add that Jozy has 8 goals in 24 appearances for the US, but 6 of those goals game against Trinidad (3 in one game), Cuba and El Salvador. Not exactly the strongest of competition. Obviously he can only score against the opponents put in front of him, but I'm not convinced he's at the point in his career where he can score 1 in every 3 games against WC quality national teams.

18. jcsd

jcsd Member+

Jan 27, 2006
    The sending-off for those who haven't seen it:

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tzQ1P1MriFg"]YouTube- Jozy Altidore Red Card vs Sunderland[/ame]

19. JG

JG Member+

Jun 27, 1999
    OTOH his record of creating goals for his teammates this year was superb in any context and absolutely phenomenal in the context of Hull City. That cannot be ignored any more than his goalscoring record can be ignored.

Bottom line is that when Jozy played, the team scored a lot more goals.

20. jcsd

jcsd Member+

Jan 27, 2006
    I wouldn't use superlatives like phenomenal, I would describe that part of his game as good.

He had 7 assists counted by the Premier League which to be fair in terms of strikers playing for crappy clubs was only beaten by Kevin Davies at Bolton and equalled by Rodallega at Wigan. 4 of those assists were credited for being fouled in the penalty box.

His support play was one area where he was good and he managed to become savvy in dark art of going down just that bit more lightly in the peanlty box, but like I said his overall game isn't ready for the amount of games he played. The fact that he did play so many games is testement to Hull's complete lack of options upfront.

I think he did ok all things considered, he wasn'tlike a cderatin other US striekr who went to the PL and proved he was horribly out of his depth, rather just that at 20 not all the aspects of his game were in place to start at this level at this current moment in time.

21. MarioKempes

MarioKempes Member+

Real Madrid, DC United, anywhere Pulisic plays
    Aug 3, 2000
    Proxima Centauri
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Jozy and Jimmy Bullard really let the team down today, but the situation was hopeless, as West Ham won.

A fitting end to a sad season. Hull have no idea how to play football, and don't deserve to be in the Premiership.

22. ImaPuppy

ImaPuppy Member+

Aug 10, 2009
    Using too many parentheses
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    American Samoa
    Well they took down the original video so here is the incident again...red card comes around 5:15, sorry for the bad quality.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P1r0Y_26H5Q"]YouTube- Match Of The Day-Hull Vs Sunderland[/ame]

23. freisland

freisland Member+

Jan 31, 2001
    Huh? Has any professional scout or manager ever suggested that a single red card - esp one that resulted in an offsetting red, in any way influenced their decision to purchase a player? Sure, repeated reds, but a single sending off by a young player? I seriously doubt anyone but BS posters give a rats hind-bits.

People actually buying soccer players look at tape, make phone calls, go to games, that sort of thing.