Altidore headed back to the Premiership, Sunderland Calls

Discussion in 'USA Men' started by deuteronomy, Jul 5, 2013.

1. LouisZ

LouisZ Member+

Oct 14, 2010
    Southern California-USA
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Not sure if his option to stay was a welcome one, after all, they got Johannssen for a reason.

2. Barcasox

Barcasox Member

Mar 26, 2008
    Club:
    Athletic Club Bilbao
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Let's hope Sessegnon and Larsson stay healthy all season, or Jozy will get zero chances. No midfield creativity and aimless long balls have never been Jozy's favorite thing (US, Hull)

3. Marko72

Marko72 Member+

Aug 30, 2005
    New York
    I have no idea who else is on their shortlist, but I strongly suspect they're not done shopping, and midfield creativity is almost definitely what's next on the list now that they've signed their finisher.

The way di Canio targeted Jozy early and made sure to get him suggests to me that he actually has a plan for him, because no one would specifically target Jozy as their first option if all they're looking for is a target man. That's not the body of work that his tapes show. I could see a team that decides to take a flyer on him as their second or third option thinking, "He's a big kid, why not see if he can win 50/50 balls up top?" but that's not what Sunderland did.

4. Nutmeg

Nutmeg Member+

Aug 24, 1999
    I got an answer to my own question from a friend and SAFC STH.

The short answer is they're not sure. Di Canio prefers a Bob-Bradleyesque 4-4-2, looking to the outside midfielders to provide service. Adam Johnson will be one of them, Larsson likely the other as long as he's healthy. Sessegnon has a lot of talent but checks in and out of games, and may be the odd man out.

Di Canio is rebuilding the roster, revamping the defense and looking at wide options.

So we'll see.

Bolivianfuego and Marko72 repped this.
  5. Marko72

Marko72 Member+

Aug 30, 2005
    New York
    That's not a bad set-up for Jozy at all, working off a partner and finishing off creativity coming from the flanks? That's his game, and Paolo got himself the right guy for that. If he can upgrade one wide attacker, it'll actually be a pretty good set-up. Nothing better than mid-table, but Jozy could score 10 or 15 goals in all competitions and not lose every week. Do that in the Premier League and you've got real career options.

6. Copperhead

Copperhead Member

Jan 1, 2011
    Colorado Springs, CO
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I was also speaking from AZ's point of view. A good season that includes 30+ goals? Doubt it. They may play better as a team but Jozy won't have a similar season. Maher and Jozy were the two players getting the attention for AZ. Maher is gone so you might as well cash in on Jozy's big season.

7. West Coast

West Coast Member

Feb 4, 2006
    California
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I like Jozy, but do people here really think he'd start at Man U, Man City, Arsenal, Chelsea, or Liverpool? The only way he will play for a club like that is if he scores goals on their pitch.

8. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    $$$ and potential Playing Time

9. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    Jozy really is a journeyman. Played in Spain, England (now twice), Turkey and Holland. Only 23. Plenty of time for him to play a few years in Italy and Germany.

10. LuckofLichaj

LuckofLichaj Member+

Mar 9, 2012
    If Sunderland wants to let in 2 goals a game, then sure- sign a whole bunch of middling attacking players so that Jozy can net 20 while they get relegated. I highly doubt that Sunderland signed a FW ~8millioneuros thinking that they had to turn into Blackpool.

Almost everyone on BS loves Jozy. So why no confidence in his abilities? I mean, what is he? Roberto Soldado with a third of his skill?

11. Brian Chenault

Jul 6, 2013
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    you sir have hit the nail on the head.

12. Spursfan1

Spursfan1 Member+

Sep 7, 2010
    Atlanta
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    people who are saying stoke are the same as sunderland are completely wrong.

13. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    Stoke have usually been around mid-table since they were promoted, though they play rather dull and they are a graveyard for strikers.

14. Spursfan1

Spursfan1 Member+

Sep 7, 2010
    Atlanta
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

stoke are utterly terrible. cynical style and absolutely pathetic.

Wigan are ten times the team stoke were. they actually tried to play soccer. they really tried to work the ball around. they got relegated but that team played well.

Sunderland dont just bunker. they will provide service and if jozy scores any more than 14 goals next year and has a good world cup he will then move on to that higher club.

playing with sunderland means jozy will go up against vincent kompany, jan vertoghen and other international quality Center backs. that is excellent test of his metal.

BlitzSpiele repped this.
  15. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    I doubt he scores 14. Fletcher only scored 11 and he's had years of PL experience. I'd say if Jozy gets 10, then he's done well. He shouldn't have so much pressure since it's just Sunderland.

16. Spursfan1

Spursfan1 Member+

Sep 7, 2010
    Atlanta
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Dont underestimate Jozy.

Benteke was on a HORRIBLE aston villa side and scored 19.

LouisianaViking07/09 repped this.
  17. TurboRook

TurboRook Member

May 7, 2003
    South Pasadena, CA
    Vghhgfczd syzgggghgff. Cv. Bbbbnmn cdssddg Vcxcfxxcx ç. Yrcdx

sXeWesley repped this.
  18. FW__

FW__ Member+

Jun 23, 2006
    Chattanooga, TN
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Looks like my 15 month old grabbed your computer and posted something. Or was that Aron Johannsson committing to the US in Icelandic? Quick, someone google translate that....

SPA2TACU5 and LouisZ repped this.
  19. yankeeRoyal

yankeeRoyal Member+

Feb 12, 2006
    Alexandria, VA
    Club:
    Bahia Salvador
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Oh god I forgot about di Canio. :( I have suddenly become very nervous about Jozy's short term club future. di Canio has disaster written all over him. 2 to 1 he doesn't last the year as manager.

20. yankeeRoyal

yankeeRoyal Member+

Feb 12, 2006
    Alexandria, VA
    Club:
    Bahia Salvador
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Nor anyone else's.

21. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    Tomorrow he does his medical and they post the fee. Supposedly it's between 8-10 million euros. How much of that would AZ have to give to Villarreal?

22. um_chili

um_chili Member+

Jun 3, 2002
    Losanjealous
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This is an intriguing point, but does it take into account Jozy's need to get service from/play off of other creative/attacking players?

That said, the information about Sunderland's financial situation and its impact on their future acquisition of players likely to complement Jozy is very useful and revealing. Repped.

23. Spursfan1

Spursfan1 Member+

Sep 7, 2010
    Atlanta
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This is going to be a great move. I think nothing but good things can come from playing at a place where he can start week in week out against top flight defenders.

24. um_chili

um_chili Member+

Jun 3, 2002
    Losanjealous
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Related question: what defines success for Jozy at Sunderland? Here are my standards:

First (and most important): Regular, consistent playing time. If he's not in form and match fit when the WC rolls around, he's no use to us, obviously.

Second: around 10 goals (assuming regular PT). There's a very slim chance he's going to have the kind of insane season he did last year at AZ, but I think 10 is a reasonable threshold for performance that is something Jozy can/should achieve (again, assuming he gets a fair chance to play enough), and perhaps even exceed.

Third: 2-3 truly memorable performances. Examples could include: MOTM honors; goals against big clubs like ManU, Arsenal, Chelsea, etc.; being named to Prem XI of the Week by a major publication.

Mr Martin repped this.
  25. bungadiri

bungadiri Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Jan 25, 2002
    Acnestia
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Mrs. Which posts on BigSoccer. Who knew?

Magikfute repped this.