Altidore, Dempsey: Hull vs. Fulham 3/27 1100 ET

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad Gameday' started by Kickflip89, Mar 26, 2010.

1. schrutebuck

schrutebuck Member+

Jul 26, 2007
    Jozy being subbed off.

2. emoney

emoney Member

May 10, 2008
    Bozeman, Montana
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Jozy starting to really get under Fulham's skin - love it

3. gmonn

gmonn Member+

Dec 8, 2005
    Good news that Jozy will keep getting big minutes under Dowie.

4. Rainer24

Rainer24 Member

Jan 6, 2008
    Nashville, TN
    Club:
    VfB Stuttgart
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Fulham are just not the same team away from home.

5. emoney

emoney Member

May 10, 2008
    Bozeman, Montana
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    I think it is fair to say Jozy will be getting the minutes! They have a shot to stay up

6. Cool Hand Luke

Cool Hand Luke Member+

Aug 13, 2008
    Austin Texas
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    lol, Konchesky wasn't even pretending to go for the ball, when he fouled Jozy

7. DuckYank

DuckYank New Member

Jan 20, 2010
    Oregon
    Club:
    Portland MLS
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    True. Credit also goes to Hull. They know they need to win some games or they're in the Cola-ship next year. The pressure is on and maybe they'll be able to pull out the miracle. I'm sure there's more than a little urgency on Hull's part.

8. thedukeofsoccer

thedukeofsoccer Member+

Jul 11, 2004
    Wussconsin
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well, it could be an option for Bobby to employ Dempsey and another attacking midfielder like Lando to flank a lone striker in Altidore.

I agree that in the games I've seen recently, Dempsey's looked somewhat lost when trying to receive the ball amidst a mass of defenders, as opposed to coming back into midfield in space to grab it and then make something happen.

9. jcsd

jcsd Member+

Jan 27, 2006
    I'm really not a big fan of Hull, but the way he wheels seem to be falling off at West Ham, they've got a pretty good chance of staying up

10. propeller74

propeller74 Member

Sep 15, 2008
    LA
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Great result for Hull, if it stands. Horrendous for Fulham who will not be returning to Europe next season (unless they win Europa.)

I would love to see Downie lead Hull to a road win this season. That will be the next task.

11. CenterLine

CenterLine Member

Jan 17, 2009
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Did ManU really pay 12M pounds for Chris Smalling?

12. sidefootsitter

sidefootsitter Member+

Oct 14, 2004
    I thought £7M, which is about $11M.

He's a young, slender kid, who will put on weight and get stronger to wrestle with the guys like Altidore ... at some point.

PS. Fulham was resting its overworked regulars. Roy had to do this sooner or later.

13. jclampit

jclampit Member

Apr 12, 2002
  14. Principal Firebush

Principal Firebush Smorgy Borgy Borgy

Jun 20, 2006
    Ohio
    I think it was 8m. It was a big gamble considering he was previously in the 7th or 8th division and had barely played for Fulham. He's looked pretty poor when I've seen him, aside from the Chelsea game. He's got size and seems to be pretty skilled though, and when Wenger and Fergie are after you, that speaks for itself. I guess they could send him to the Championship for a year or two to see how he develops.

BTW he's 16 days younger than Jozy.

15. thejuggernaut

thejuggernaut Member

Mar 25, 2007
    PA
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Maybe I missed it but does anyone know how many times Jozy was fouled today?

I mean f*ckin Hack a Shaq!!

16. Scotty

Scotty Member+

Dec 15, 1999
    Toscana
  17. usry723

usry723 Member+

Aug 14, 2008
    Georgia, USA
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Jozy with a match rating of 9? But, but bbbut he didn't score a goal he's useless.

I'll keep saying it. Jozy is too good for Hull.

18. Cool Hand Luke

Cool Hand Luke Member+

Aug 13, 2008
    Austin Texas
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah, let's go!

19. ImaPuppy

ImaPuppy Member+

Aug 10, 2009
    Using too many parentheses
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    American Samoa
    ^ this.

I don't care how many times people say that a striker's job is to score. No, a strikers job is to CREATE goals in any way possible. Jozy just happens to be excellent at diving and tricking EPL referees :D

No but all joking aside, excellent match from him. Great to see him doing well and more than holding his own in the EPL. I think he's had 2 MOTM performances this season as a teenager and that in itself is extremely impressive. Let's hope this translates into avoiding relegation and maybe even a return back to villarreal or a sale to a better side.

20. thejuggernaut

thejuggernaut Member

Mar 25, 2007
    PA
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think it's just one guy that says it... but that guy would say it a thousand times on every forum over and over so it sounds like a bunch of people. His name is Teso.

But the fact is Italy won the world cup last time around, without their strikers scoring much of anything. A forward need to be productive, if that means presurring the backline into poor passes, standing in front of keeper on corners, holding up the ball for the midfield, getting fouled repeatedly, providing service, occupying defenders, drawing out defenders.... this list goes on and on what a good forward can bring to the team and it doesnt always mean scoring goals.

21. CenterLine

CenterLine Member

Jan 17, 2009
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Jozy was very good today, too bad I couldn't say the same about Clint but TBF Fulham's midfield was very poor, particularly Dikgacoi.

22. Sam Hamwich

Sam Hamwich Member+

Jul 11, 2006
    My fear is that during hte world cup this kind of play is going to put in yellow and red card trouble for whining, diving defenders.

23. highlander

highlander Member

Nov 9, 2002
    Springfield, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    A striker's primary job is to score goals, but a lot of the time, a guy can be working hard, doing a lot of good things, and creating goals for his teammates just before the goals start coming for him. Jozy is going through the process of defining his game at this level. Very often, the goals are the last piece to complete the puzzle - but they still are the primary piece.

Let's not go nuts with our unconditional support of Jozy. His job is to score goals. What is encouraging is that he is doing a lot of things that he used to not do that will eventually lead to his scoring and creating chances for his teammates - but his focus is and will always be on scoring and, if he is to be a good forward, he will need to measure himself by that standard.

Having said that, nice game by Jozy. His game as a striker has many elements to it that it didn't have a year or two ago. The goals will come. In the meantime, he can be productive in other ways as he continues to learn to carve out his niche on the field at this level.

24. sidefootsitter

sidefootsitter Member+

Oct 14, 2004
    That's right.

His PK earned are de facto goals (or at least, 90% goals with Bullard taking them).

Fouls suffered are also a good measure of someone's success.

He just needs to add a quick turnaround shot now and that will take him up to a mid-tier striker level.

25. Bruce S

Bruce S Member+

Sep 10, 1999
    we would not even be having this discussion if he took the PKs he created by himself. If he draws PK, everyone on his team is happy.