Alternative Parking, Home Depot Center

Discussion in 'LA Galaxy' started by StoneIsland, Apr 11, 2005.

1. StoneIsland

StoneIsland Member

Mar 3, 2005
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Parking at the Home Depot Center is expensive and inconvenient. It takes forever to get out of the lot because it doesn’t seem like the police know what they are doing and it costs more than any other sporting event in Southern California (as a proportion of the average ticket price).

If you want to stay until the final whistle but don’t want to get caught in the crush, what should you do?

If you want to save $15.00 what can you do?

Please post your alternative arrangements. Do you know of a sneaky free place to park or a place where parking is strictly illegal but the rules are seldom enforced?

What about cheaper alternatives to the Home Depot lots? Any churches, businesses, or private residences that offering parking at a discount?

2. christopher d

christopher d New Member

Jun 11, 2002
    Weehawken, NJ
    BigSoccer is perused regularly by lots of folks who make their living in and around soccer, as well as fans. A good example of why people who've found a good work-around to the $15 bacon-wrapped hotdogs (or is it the banned parking?) probably won't post it here can be found by checking out the Chicago Fire's board.

And damn, those bacon-wrapped hotdogs were good. If they'd just get those folks back in the parking lot (and maybe even get them into the facility) I just may get off my lazy ass and get my season ticket money together...

3. Beakmon FC

Beakmon FC Member+

LA Galaxy
    United States
    Jan 10, 2002
    The OC
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Why on earth would I disclose to the world my secret and FREE parking spot? ;)

4. FreeNachos

FreeNachos Member

Apr 10, 2001
    North Hollywood, CA
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    As long as people PAY the fifteen bucks, it will BE fifteen bucks. I don't understand how any company gets to extort money from their fans. If you're not pissed because "it's just a few bucks" you don't realize how badly you're being cheated.

Try this.

1) Boycott the lots. I'm not sure how though. Talk it up. What if everyone ignored the "no parking" signs and started parking in the neighborhood nearby? Use the "you can't tow us all" attitude. What if we all hiked, who knows how far, from the nearest free lot. Do a kind of Million Fan March. I wish someone would buy a nearby lot and a few shuttle busses.

2) Find out what else is going on at Cal State Dominguez Hills that night - symphony concert, graduation, class meeting - Say you're there for THAT event and maybe they'll find a free spot in another lot.

3) Finally, If you're a season ticket holder. Don't renew and let them know why. No MLS team is in position to jerk their fans around. Screw with us and the HDC becomes "Off Season Home of the San Diego Chargers".

5. Dammit!

Dammit! Member

Apr 14, 2004
    Mickey Mouse Land
    No one is being cheated. The parking lot is a service and, like you said, the market dictates the price. That said, it's also a monopoly. So, maybe we can get the Feds into bust up the cartel. Anyone have any pull with President B?

The #2 idea is just funny. But try it anyways and let us know how it goes talking to the girl who takes your money.

Why not just meet some other fans somewhere nearby and all jump in one car? 3 people in a car becomes $5 a person, etc.

Maybe you can arrange it here (if the powers that be don't close you down). Anyone have a BIG SUV?

6. rokstedy

rokstedy Member+

I love commieball
    Apr 20, 2001
    Northwest Orange County
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    But what if you're found out? Then your car might get towed. Going along the line of this though, you could get there real early and park in the CSU's lot (ones that have pay machines), pay the machine's fee and park. Sure you'll be there real early but you could find something to do on campus like read a book or something.

You could try carpooling too.

7. jimmyodonnell

jimmyodonnell Member

May 1, 2003
    While the options have diminished each year, there is still some street parking to be had on both sides of Victoria just east of the entrances to the north parking lots (3, 11, 12, 13 etc). I'd say that there are about 100 - 125 spots TOTAL on the north and south sides of the street just east of the driveways entering the lots.

This still requires a good walk, but it takes no longer to walk out and drive away (unimpeded) than it does to walk to your car in the lot and then sit in the lot as it empties. Another plus is that your exit from street parking is unrestricted by the traffic cops, whereas patrols at the lot exits usually funnel everyone into one lane in the same direction, another detriment to lot parking.

The key here is arriving early, about an hour before kickoff. Other street parking that was available in previous seasons has now been eliminated -- thus, this year there is NO street parking on Avalon nor is there any on Victoria / 190th St west of Avalon (ie, west of the Wells Fargo). Mos t folks also know that the surrounding neighborhoods are pretty vigilant about enforcing their restrictions as well.

NOTE -- if you arrive early for the sake of enjoying a relaxing "refreshment" on-site pregame, discretion is recommended if you bring your own "refreshments" into the pay lots, as most of the entrances are manned by attendants and police.

8. Carson Galaxy

Carson Galaxy Member

Jun 14, 2001
    Downey, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    SSSSSSHHHHHHHHhhhhhhhh...I think I got to this spot at about 6:20 and had one of the last spots and I expected to have to pay because of the sell out.

They did give away 10 year anniversary programs to those entering the parking lot though. It was nice of someone to leave it behind after the game for me to pick one up.

9. Boricua

Boricua New Member

Jul 5, 2001
    Reseda, CA
    I always park at the south entrance at University ave. Is a good relaxing walk and you can talk about the game on the way to your car. To get out of the lot it always takes me no more than 3 minutes. Down there is a fast exit and is only 10 bucks.

10. Jabinho

Jabinho New Member

May 29, 2004
    Has anyone taken the Green Line then a bus down to the HDC?
    Do the buses actually make it there after the match with all the traffic?
    I guess it's one way to save on the gas and parking.. Not sure what public transit is like in that area after a night game ...

11. blackhawk

blackhawk New Member

Sep 19, 2004
    Riverside, CA
    They can't tow all of you? You obviously don't know the Los Angeles Sheriff very well. He could cover his budget shortfalls nicely with the revenue and towing cars is a sport here as much as it is in lower Manhattan.

I park of University and have done so since the HDC opened. It takes no more than five minutes to walk to the gate, parking is cheaper than the "reserved" season ticket holders lot at $10 per game and it is a great spot to watch the fireworks from. We leave right at the final whistle, get to the car, watch the fireworks and are on the 91 heading back to the Inland Empire less than ten minutes after starting the car.

12. Przybylinski

Przybylinski New Member

Apr 28, 2004
    Smallville
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    I park in the $10 lot as well - not too far to walk and not bad getting out. I don't recommend it to anyone ;)

13. jimmyodonnell

jimmyodonnell Member

May 1, 2003
    Blackhawk --
    I think there's a typo here, as it says you park "of University" -- do you mean that you park in the college lots off Victoria or do you street-park on University Ave, south of the stadium? I've never seen street parking over there, but I approach from the north . . .