Alternative Energy Idea Looking for your comments

Discussion in 'Politics & Current Events' started by Yankee_Blue, Mar 13, 2006.

1. Yankee_Blue

Yankee_Blue New Member

Aug 28, 2001
    New Orleans area
    So I'm talking to my dad over the weekend about alternative energy/nuke stuff. (He is an ex-submariner from the late 50's to early 70's). He insisted that a nuclear submarine could supply the electrical needs for medium sized cities (let's say 200,000 population). So here's the scenario: Instead of mothballing the subs powerplants, we dock them off the coast of a city, hook up the power and let the sub do what it does second best. Kinda wacky sounding, but would it work?

2. Mr. Bee

Mr. Bee New Member

Feb 2, 2005
    Buzzing Around
    Club:
    Wolverhampton Wanderers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Its actually been done, I think in Russia as a portable type of "generator" for remote locations.

But the size is a problem... a large submarine nuclear reactor only gives out less than, say, 2% of the MWe of a commercial nuclear power plant, I believe.

3. Smiley321

Smiley321 Member

Apr 21, 2002
    Concord, Ca
    How many of these subs are functional and mothballed, and why?

4. Mr. Bee

Mr. Bee New Member

Feb 2, 2005
    Buzzing Around
    Club:
    Wolverhampton Wanderers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I believe in the US we actually dismantle our old Nuclear subs and dispose of the core after the service life (which is determined in advance by the high rate of uranium depletion in the reactors) has expired... I think its 30 years?

Once again, I'm not terribly knowledgable on this except as a Naval History buff. Nu-cu-luhr stuff is too new for my tastes :)

5. Matt in the Hat

Matt in the Hat Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 21, 2002
    Brooklyn
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Don't nuke subs make the water around them heavier? It probably wouldn't be the most eco friendly solution longterm, but it wouldn't be too bad for temp applications, such as summer peak energy periods

6. Yankee_Blue

Yankee_Blue New Member

Aug 28, 2001
    New Orleans area
    Nor am I, but I understand that we have 175 nuclear subs. I believe Mr. Bee is correct about the service life...