Alt - numerics.

Discussion in 'Technical Problems and Bug Reports' started by Own Goal Hat-Trick, Feb 11, 2006.

1. Own Goal Hat-Trick

Jul 28, 1999
    ColoRADo
    So... anytime i try to type a special letter (i.e, å, ü, ø and so on) it starts a bigsoccer search. to type the letters, for example, you would press and hold alt, then on the num pad type either 1-3-4 or 0-2-5-2 or 0-2-4-8 or whatever the code is. but no matter what letter i try to type, it goes to the search.

so, that means that to use those letters i have to either open up a notepad document, or just go to anotherwebsite and type the letters into the adress bar and go back to bigsoccer and copy it to the post.

is there any way to disable this HIGHLY annoying and inconvenient "feature" or am i SOL?

2. gaijin

gaijin New Member

Aug 1, 2004
    Malaysia
    Hmmmmm.

Seems to be working for me. Are you sure you are pressing the number pad?

edit: ah - you have num lock on. Turn it off, and see if that works.

3. alliu23

alliu23 I'm a Yank til I Die

Jul 28, 2004
    Williamsport, PA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    opened a search for me with num lock, not without

4. gaijin

gaijin New Member

Aug 1, 2004
    Malaysia
    Sorry, the little light means its on - not off.

5. Own Goal Hat-Trick

Jul 28, 1999
    ColoRADo
    im absolutely sure.

if num lock is off, then the numeric pad doesnt work. and attempting with the number strip across the top does the same thing.

double check to see that i am pressing alt and the numbers and nothing else, and im doing it correctly.

cause typing the same thing that i try on bigsoccer (which brings up a search) gives me the letters i am seeking when i try it in another window.

the funny thing too, is that its not even just in a reply box that it will open a search. if the window is on bigsoccer, and i try to type it into the adress bar or the search bar (using firefox, btw), then it also opens up a search.

i also highly doubt that its something ive done to the browser, since i didnt have internet access for over a month (before, i could use alt-numerics), then, when i got access back last week, alt-nums dont work anymore.

6. Huss

Huss Member

Aug 1, 1995
    New York, NY
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    researching...

7. Huss

Huss Member

Aug 1, 1995
    New York, NY
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Are you on firefox?

This is a firefox bug, using alt + the num pad should not cause this but it was a regression with Firefox 1.5.

The selecting words also works for me using Firefox 1.5.0.1 RC1.

8. gaijin

gaijin New Member

Aug 1, 2004
    Malaysia
    Hmmm. I've just updated it to 1.5 and now it doesn't work.

I'll try the 1.5.0.1 version.

edit: doesn't work, plus the alt numbers are loading incorrectly on the regular google search bar :mad: - ignore this, I've been imputing the wrong ascii code.

edit: Strangely enough Huss, whilst posting this - I got a busy signal for the 1st time ever as a preemie user. :eek:

9. gaijin

gaijin New Member

Aug 1, 2004
    Malaysia
    You're not on a Mac are you?

10. Own Goal Hat-Trick

Jul 28, 1999
    ColoRADo
    yeah. im on firefox. its updated to the latest version as far as i know. sorry, forgot to add that.