already more transfer targets for madrid

Discussion in 'Real Madrid' started by gazzad_5, Sep 5, 2004.

1. Pazarius

Pazarius New Member

Jan 10, 2004
    England
    Yes, that is true.

but in football at least the distinction between British and English/Scottish/Welsh/N.Irish is important. You should only use British (or Brits) when you really mean it, i.e. when the people you are talking about could be from any country of the UK.

Becks, Owen, Woodgate and Gerrard are all English football players, so it's best to refer to them as English. Calling them 'Brits' is still correct, it just conveys less information.

No, he was born in England, just. He was born in Chester, so close to the welsh border he ended up going to a welsh school, and hence playing for wales schoolboy teams.

2. anirbanblah

anirbanblah New Member

Jan 16, 2002
    India
    You don't need to buy anyone. You already have someone who will become the world's best DM in Cesc. I still can't believe Barca let him go.

3. Zizou

Zizou New Member

Jan 24, 2004
  4. christosap

christosap New Member

Jul 12, 2004
    adelaide
    i dont know how you boys put up with all these transfer rumors, no one ever seems to know whats gonna happen until its already done.
    anyway, one question if figo does stay for the additional year will joaquin be bought once he leaves or if juanfran is up for it will he take over, i've heard good things about him.

5. barça

barça New Member

May 31, 2003
    In a plane
    Barça let him go? :eek:

6. totti2madrid

totti2madrid New Member

Jan 9, 2004
    FL, USA
    i dont think Figo will stay the additional year, its kind of a given at this point. as much as i love the guy, i dont really see the sense to keep a guy whos gonna be 33 around for longer. at that point, i think we should make a SERIOUS push for Totti, not like this past off season where talk went nowhere. if not Totti, then yes Joaquin couldbe had at a lesser price, therefore allowing a shot at Gerrard to happen. call me crazy, but i wouldnt be too thrilled at having 4 English players on the team.

7. illuminatus

illuminatus New Member

Mar 29, 2004
    Malaysia
    Juanfran looks like he could become a good little player. Unfortunately i can't see him becoming a starter for Real Madrid, he just doesn't come across as a wonderkid like C. Ronaldo, Cesc, Joaquin, Rooney and therefore may end up being transferred to a smaller club. I hope i'm wrong though.

8. johno

johno Member+

Jul 15, 2003
    in the wind
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    If you guys got a LW that could actually tackle and move Beckham to the right then you could play with Gerrard and Helguera as a tandem in midfield... it would be a very talented centermidfield paring with both of them defensively sound and adept at going forward... Gerrard could use his pace to sneak out onto the RW occasionally and Becks would drift into the middle, after all his specialty is starting attacks not really finishing them off...

9. gazzad_5

gazzad_5 Member

Jan 19, 2004
    im quite happy with zizou at the moment, see no need in replacing the great man for at least 1 or 2 seasons

10. anirbanblah

anirbanblah New Member

Jan 16, 2002
    India
    You and have had had this discussion before but Totti only plays well for Roma. If he replicates that form on a global stage I'd agree but until then Joaquin is the guy I want (actually I want Ronaldinho or Aimar but neither will happen)

11. Zizou

Zizou New Member

Jan 24, 2004
    How much do we have to pay for Totti? Compare it to Juaquin and then it all goin' to be clear. In this amount of money we can buy Juaquin and another tremundes Midfielder such as DeAlesandro or even we can go for DM.

12. kaberon10

kaberon10 New Member

Aug 10, 2002
    Evanston
    http://www.goal.com/NewsDetail.aspx?idNews=20857&progr=2

Title: Mascherano heading towards Real in January

The article itself doesn't really say anything new, just that Real are interested in the player, the player is interested in Real, and that Real and River Plate have a good relationship and will both be interested in working out a deal. This would be a great move for the club, as he will not be cup-tied, can step in right away and help out at a position we might be short in (DMid), is young enough to be willing to be a sub for a few years, and is a good player. I have a funny feeling that we will need a substitute DMid before January, but it's the best we can do, and I think its a great move.

By the way, is Mascherano EU at all? That would be even better!

13. REALFOREVER

REALFOREVER Member+

Dec 22, 2003

Mascherano can play dm and right back(where he played in the olympics some games) He is NOT EU...BUT..R.Carlos is expected to get his EU in December....so not a problem. I've heard that Mascherano if he comes in January would then be able to get his EU within 8 months or so. That way by the beginning of the 2005-2006 season, the only non-EU remaining would be Ronaldo.

Getting Mascherano would give Real cover for Salgado and for the midfield. With him, it is way more likely that any injury to a central defender would see Helguera move back and Mascherano drop into the mid.

14. illuminatus

illuminatus New Member

Mar 29, 2004
    Malaysia
    I really do not want to see 2 englishmen in midfield. It doesn't work for England, and it won't work in Spain. I don't care how fast or mobile Gerrard is, the guy wastes possession way too often and his first touch is quite bad. And i'm still not convinced that Beckham is anywhere near the player he used to be. Many won't agree, but i think England have one of the most overrated set of midfielders among the big nations. It's lucky for them they have a solid defence and a powerful goalscorer like Rooney.

15. nirvaanfc

nirvaanfc Member

Juventus
    Italy
    Jan 13, 2004
    Trinidad & Tobago
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    SHAME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!SHAME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!SHAME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

England have three of the best midfielders in world football to lead thier middle (4 is Paul Scholes was still in contention!).
    Frank Lampard, Steven Gerrard and David Beckham (badly off form but very capable player) are all amazing world class players who can go forward and drop back very effectively which is the way the best in the world do it these days.
    As for solid defence, hmm could you be any more wrong, Terry is amazing but otherwise most guys aren't that great. Campbell overrated, Woodgate always injured (or beating asian ppl outside night clubs, had to put in that one) and King too inexperienced!
    Bridge and Cole are pretty good but not in a say Zambrotta class aka WORLD CLASS and Gary Neville is very inconsistent!
    Wayne Rooney has to prove himself to me, i was impressed at Euro2004 but he has to prove he is no flash in the pan player!

16. illuminatus

illuminatus New Member

Mar 29, 2004
    Malaysia
    Sigh... really, man... Frank Lampard has had a couple of good seasons with Chelsea... but i've never really seen anything about him to suggest that he could be a legendary midfielder. Gerrard? He's good, and far better than Lampard, but i've already highlighted his problems. Beckham? He's a Madrid player and i want him to do well, but he does NOT fit into the team really. The least he could offer is his set pieces, but even those have not been delivered with the deadly precision of his Man Utd days. Scholes? Inconsistent as hell.. i daresay based on his international performances in recent years England will forget him soon enough. Yet these guys are so overpraised by the English media it just seems so absurd.

How can you put down their defence though. Campbell is rock solid for Arsenal, Ferdinand is clearly very good, so is Terry, Ashley Cole as much as i hate him can turn in really good performances... they are just let down by having a crap keeper in James. I think it is easy to say that England's defensive qualities are the only thing they really have to shout about, oh and Rooney.

Sorry to stray off topic, by the way.

17. MadridForever

MadridForever Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 29, 2001
    Madrid, Spain
    Mascherano has said that his agent spoke with Real Madrid.

River presidents has admited that he knows that RM is interested in the player.

River president also have said that "We won't sell the player until December". That sound like that they are going to sell the player in December.

Camacho has said several times "If we can sing in summer, we still have the option of december".

Camacho also has said "I'm happy with the team, but the addition of another player would be good".

Roberto Carlos could have his EU in December of January.

Adding all this information, we could easily conclude that Real Madrid is going to sign Mascherano in December. But things Aren't Always What They Seem.

Personally, i think that Mascherano would be a great addition for the team in December. He is a very impressive DM for his age, 20 years old. He still have to improve some aspects of his play and he is young and he could be a little irregular in the future, but if he maintain his proggresion he could be one of the best DM in the world in the next years.

18. La China Poblana

May 13, 2003
    Chicago
    Real Madrid do not want to sign Gerrard - Benitez

LIVERPOOL, England, Sept 10 (Reuters) - Real Madrid are not interested in signing England midfielder Steven Gerrard from Liverpool, according to the Premier League club's manager Rafael Benitez.

Spaniard Benitez admitted he was concerned to read reports of Real Madrid's desire to add Gerrard to their trio of England internationals, David Beckham, Michael Owen and Jonathan Woodgate.

http://sports.yahoo.com/sow/news?slug=reu-liverpoolgerrard&prov=reuters&type=lgns

19. illuminatus

illuminatus New Member

Mar 29, 2004
    Malaysia
    I would love to see Madrid sign Mascherano. He's a great player already, comfortable and calm on the ball, knows how to make simple but accurate passes, and works hard. He's like Cesc but a better passer.

20. Lockjaw

Lockjaw BigSoccer Supporter

Sep 8, 2004
    Kaiserslautern
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Roberto Carlos enjoys playing for his country, Brazil, in the internationals. So he may never give up his citizenship. Same with Ronaldo. That is why Samuel giving up his citizenship is critical to obtaining another non-European player.

21. Excape Goat

Excape Goat Member+

Mar 18, 1999
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Roberto Carlos, Samuel and Ronaldo do not need to give up their original citizenships to obtain Spanish citizenship.

Okay..... only if Argentina, Brazil or Spain does not allow dual citizenships. I am sure Argentina allows dual citzenship as it was common for Argentinian players to obtain Italian passports.

22. REALFOREVER

REALFOREVER Member+

Dec 22, 2003
    I have both...and its not allowed with the country I am in....until recently...don't u love Spanish policy.

Anyways...dual citizenship is allowed with Brazil.

23. Lockjaw

Lockjaw BigSoccer Supporter

Sep 8, 2004
    Kaiserslautern
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Did not know that - thanks. But why does the media say RM has their 3 non-European slots filled? Isn't that why we got rid of Etoo?

24. REALFOREVER

REALFOREVER Member+

Dec 22, 2003
    Ronaldo, R.Carlos, Samuel = 3

R.Carlos will likely get his dual citizenship in December or January, opening up a spot which means Mascherano could come in January

Samuel gets his dual citizenship at the end of the season.

But until R.Carlos and Samuel get them...Real have 3.

If everything goes as planned, Ronaldo will be the only non-EU by next season.

25. gazzad_5

gazzad_5 Member

Jan 19, 2004
    skysports.planetfootball.com says perez is keen on gerrard and it reports real may line up a bid in january, howver the player will not b able to play in the champions lge. i like gerrard, he'd b a superb addition to the side!