Alpay fears backlash!

Discussion in 'Premier League: News and Analysis' started by MightyBees, Oct 13, 2003.

1. MightyBees

MightyBees New Member

Aug 16, 2003
    London, England
    Turkey defender Alpay fears he will face a Premiership backlash when he returns to Aston Villa after his clash with England captain David Beckham.

Alpay has been subjected to a barrage of criticism after confronting Beckham when he missed a first half penalty in the Euro 2004 qualifier in Istanbul on Saturday.

He then jabbed Beckham in the face as the teams left the pitch at half-time, sparking a full-scale tunnel flare-up.

Villa have refused to comment on the player's future, but he is likely to face an uneasy reception if he turns out for Villa in the derby against Birmingham City on Sunday.

And he fears he will be driven out of England after being painted as the villain following Beckham's revelation that he made remarks about his mother during the angry exchanges.

He said: "I have heard all about what the supporters are saying at Villa and I have heard what has been written in the English newspapers.

"I think it is all very unfair and I think maybe this will have the effect of deciding my future at Aston Villa once and for all.

"It was just a small incident in a football match and I am being crucified because of the recent history of trouble between the two countries."

Alpay insisted: "The only reason I said anything to Beckham was that he swore at me first.

"I won't tell you what he said because I don't go running to the media to tell them what goes on on the field of play. That should remain between the players.

"I am more of a gentleman than that but I know that he likes to tell everything. I'll just say what he said was not pleasant at all."

Alpay's father Mustafa Ozalan claimed: "Alpay ran over and said 'God did not want you to score' or something like that'."

Alpay has been booed during the start of Aston Villas Premiership campaign due to his request for a transfer which was later retracted.

2. Naughtius Maximus

Jul 10, 2001
    Shropshire
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    But not enough of a gentleman not to go over and crow about someone missing a penalty to their face - which happened first...

Maybe if he is so concerned about keeping things on the field of play he should not carry out provocative actions in front of millions of viewers.

3. Retail Hell

Retail Hell New Member

Oct 8, 2003
    Dublin
    Alpay is a c**t. Hope he gets dropped & forced to train with the youths @ villa.

4. MarioKempes

MarioKempes Member+

Real Madrid, DC United, anywhere Pulisic plays
    Aug 3, 2000
    Raleigh, NC
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Alpay is a lying sack of *#*#*#*#*#. Into the rubbish bin! (I speak Limey *wink*).

5. CrewToon

CrewToon Member

Jun 13, 1999
    Greenbrier Farm
    NO WAY! Backlash!? :rolleyes:

Other than being a mobile sack of crap, Alpay has no brains either. Does he actually expect even the Viller fans to support him after his stunt?

Frankly, I'm surprised he hasn't been released by the club yet.

6. Motterman

Motterman Member

Jul 8, 2002
    Orlando, FL
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Re: Re: Alpay fears backlash!

"Gentleman" indeed: :rolleyes:

[​IMG]

7. RobB

RobB New Member

Aug 8, 2003
    Birmingham
    All he did was goad Beckham a bit and poke him in the eye. He`s gone up in my estimation. If he scores against B`ham city next Sunday he`ll have hero status down Villa Park. Such is football.

8. zolacfc

zolacfc New Member

Oct 4, 2003
    Colorado
    Alplay's behaviour was a disgrace. Just because you don't like a player (Beckham) doesn't make his actions right.

Uefa to study video over Turkey trouble

Press Association
    Monday October 13, 2003

Uefa is to study video evidence before deciding whether to take disciplinary action against England or Turkey players following the match in Istanbul on Saturday.
    There was a melee in the tunnel at half-time following incidents when Alpay taunted David Beckham for missing a penalty and then poked him in the face as the players walked off the pitch at the break.

Uefa today decided to start disciplinary proceedings against the Turkish FA for incidents when flares were lit in the stadium and a couple of missiles thrown on the pitch but will look at video evidence before deciding on action against players. These are not viewed as major incidents and are likely to result in a fine.

The action follows reports from Italian referee Pierluigi Collina and Uefa's own match delegate.

Uefa communications director Mike Lee said: "We have started proceedings against the Turkish FA for a lack of order and discipline in the stadium and this will lead to a disciplinary charge to be heard at the control and disciplinary body meeting on October 30.

"On the question relating to the players, as a result of Mr Collina's report we have decided to request video evidence before deciding whether or not a formal disciplinary process is needed."

Collina called Beckham and Aston Villa defender Alpay into his room at half-time and ordered both sides to calm down, and the melee is thought to have been mainly pushing and shoving rather than punching.

Lee added: "Mr Collina was able to see most of what happened in the tunnel himself and in fact dealt with what happened extremely well, he spoke to David Beckham and Alpay and calmed things down.

"We have to make sure that he did not miss anything before deciding whether or not to take disciplinary action."

9. guddy69

guddy69 New Member

Jul 1, 2003
    london
    thats because you are an aston villa fan and you are SAD!!
    i suppose anyone that scores will have to be a hero to you... how fickle you are..

ps... birmingham have just got into the premier and they are better than you already!!
    how did that happen??

10. skyboy

skyboy New Member

Jul 16, 2003
    New York City
    i didn't see anyone mentioning this, from what i have seen on tv, so i could be completely wrong...

after the penalty, when several turkish players were goading beckham, didn't rustu (keeper) went over to beckham and surround him to protect from his own players misbehavior. i always respected him and if he actually did what i think he did, he gets utmost respect from me.

as to alpay, i do hope that he gets more than backlash that he deserves...and he is coy enough to say this in the media now, so maybe he can get somer protection by referees or see some restraints by cooler heads at villa park?...what a punk!

11. CrewToon

CrewToon Member

Jun 13, 1999
    Greenbrier Farm
    As if the Brum supporters need any extra incentive for a pitch invasion....

12. Clan

Clan Member

Apr 23, 2002
    If the Zulu lot are anything like they used to be he'll be under a barrage of coins all day.

originally posted by Rob B
    All he did was goad Beckham a bit and poke him in the eye. He`s gone up in my estimation. If he scores against B`ham city next Sunday he`ll have hero status down Villa Park. Such is football.

I see where you're coming from with this-however, taunting and belting nancy at club level is one thing, and many many people would second your post.
    However, when the oppo does it to the National teams captain....well.....i think you're missing the big picture mate.

13. melwood

melwood New Member

Oct 4, 2003
    After all the happenings in the Turkish league and also with the behavior of the national team, it's still a wonder why no action has been take against.

Wonder what UEFA is waiting for. English clubs were banned for four years because the fans bad behaviour. Now you even have the team behaving like hooligans and nothing happens.

Something is really wrong!

14. RobB

RobB New Member

Aug 8, 2003
    Birmingham
    The point I was making was that football fans are fickle! And not just Villa fans. Beckham`s got much worse abuse from every single England fan and non-Man Utd fan than Alpay gave, just from further away, yet suddenly Alpay`s a `disgrace`.If you can`t run up to sombody and go `wwwhaaahahaha` when they`re a £25M footballer paid £150 grand a week and fall on their arse skying a penalty 50 yards over the bar when can you do it? Obviously we live in humourless world.

ps... birmingham have just got into the premier and they are better than you already!!
    how did that happen??
    [/QUOTE]

Every 50 years or so Birmingham City have a couple of seasons where they finish 4 or 5 places above us. It`s called the law of averages, let them enjoy it.

15. kopkat

kopkat New Member

Oct 1, 2003
    belfast
    your right he did and he also tried to defuse the situation in the tunnel at half time
    however he sort of ruined all that by trying to take dyers head off near the end of the match

16. It'scalledfootball!

It'scalledfootball! New Member

Sep 25, 2003
    Lake Placid
    Turkish Football

The fans in Turkey have got away with dreadful behaviour for years, UEFA are chinless cowards because the racism that black players have to tolerate is proof of their cowardice, the rule should be if your fans shout racist abuse, you will be removed from the competition. The Turkish players are cowards too, would Alpay have tried that bit of provocation if the game had been in England? The turks won't learn to behave like men until they are treated in the manner they deserve and politely told to get stuffed, "it's our ball and you can't play"! I know it's wrong but I hope the England players gave them a good kicking.

17. Mark424

Mark424 New Member

May 7, 2003
    Los Angeles
    Rustu is pure class. I saw that piece of footage myself. Also, he stated that Alpay's actions in the tunnel took away valuable time during the break for the team to talk.

An intersting article about a Turk's perspective of the Alpay's actions:
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/internationals/england/3191522.stm

18. Manny

Manny New Member

Jun 7, 2002
    Denmark
    Re: Turkish Football

What racist abuse? There is no history of racist chants in Turkey.

19. chelseabelle

chelseabelle New Member

Oct 10, 2003
    see above
    I was reading today that Villa were looking to offload Alpay as soon as the transfer window opens in winter and that Hertha Berlin and a couple of other european clubs were interested.

20. the Nuge

the Nuge New Member

Jul 25, 2001
    San Francisco, CA
    This article only highlights what a complete friggin idiot the man is. Backlash? You bet yer ass! Gentleman? Not according to any rules of fair play I've ever seen. What an A-hole.

21. CrewToon

CrewToon Member

Jun 13, 1999
    Greenbrier Farm
    As mentioned earlier, the Brum supporters didn't need any extra incentive for this weekend's match. Of course, Alpay won't get any sentiment from the Viller fans, either.

22. chelseabelle

chelseabelle New Member

Oct 10, 2003
    see above
    Saw an effigy of Alpay on the front of one of the scabloids today. He's a bit of an idiot and all that, but someone must have wasted at least £40 on a replica shirt, the lettering, the trousers, the stuffing, the stout rope et al.

Then again, perhaps they also took the photo themselves and sold it to 'em

23. Manny

Manny New Member

Jun 7, 2002
    Denmark
  24. thisisanfield

thisisanfield New Member

Oct 1, 2003
    If you ask me this is all a load of bollocks.. just cos hes turkish, and did something that probably viewed by the turks was bang on the mark...

if hed been wearing a villa shirt and was fighting with the birmingham players the villa fans would love him...

if he was wearing a liverpool shirt and was fighting with the united players theyd ben singing his name out for 90 minutes at anfield next week...

because he happens to be from a different country, fighting someone from this country, everyone is up in arms...

i say good on him for having some balls... :)