Aloha to MLS in Hawaii

Discussion in 'MLS: News & Analysis' started by midwestsurfer, Jul 30, 2006.

1. midwestsurfer

midwestsurfer New Member

Jun 7, 2005
    Honolulu~Tulsa
    http://the.honoluluadvertiser.com/article/2006/Jul/28/sp/FP607280343.html

If this is not deemed MLS related I guess it can be moved. But to me it was....

In 2005 in from of over 14,000 fans DC and LA came to the most isolated landmass in the world and played a game... or did battle... it was a rough game.

But no more. One would begin to suspect that the MLS won't be returning to Hawaii as planned. With the descion to lock the Aloha Stadium into a football configuation. While soccer is still possible, the ASA has made it clear that despite the demand for the baseball and soccer configuration that it would be discontinued and that football would remain the sole tenant.

So, with no other stadium of any reasonable capacity, I'de say at this point that any dream of a pre-season cup in Hawaii is no more. Which is to bad. It could have been a really cool event to have a couple MLS sides and a couple Asian sides come head to head.

http://mls3k.blogspot.com/

2. Blitzz Boy

Blitzz Boy Member

Apr 4, 2002
    The West Side
    Assuming that next season, they aren't Real Rochester or Real Seattle; Real Salt Lake probably could have potentially brought a few hundred fans to Hawaii.

Some would want to combine a trip to the Polynesian Cultural Center with an RSL preseaon game and pretty much everybody here wants an excuse to get out of The Inversion Layer in Feb. or March.

3. cleazer

cleazer Member+

May 6, 2003
    Toledo, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Interesting article. I never thought about it, but the World Baseball Classic seems like it would have been an ideal fit for Hawaii.

I didn't realize 14K showed up for an exhibition MLS match at Aloha Stadium last year, that's pretty impressive.

I can see why they'd want to lock the stands though. I always thought that movable-stands business was a little weird. I remember going to Aloha Stadium a few times back in the 70's when I was a kid. It's a neat stadium.

4. dustcowpoke

dustcowpoke Member

Jan 7, 2006
    Houston, TX
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If it means Ching goes to FC Hawaii I'm against the idea! :D

I just blew $20 on a Ching Dynamo shirt.

5. midwestsurfer

midwestsurfer New Member

Jun 7, 2005
    Honolulu~Tulsa
    Ya, I always thought any reasonable attempt to market a preseason game in Hawaii could do well. I mean take a vacation and see your favorite side play in paradise?

When USC came for football last year they did an amazing job of selling vacation packages and events for fans. and of course the Probowl does as well. Hawaii is an unfortunate place for a pro sports team. But would is pretty amazing for pre or post season cups, tours, or games.

6. ButlerBob

ButlerBob Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 13, 2001
    Evanston, IL
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That's too bad, but it sounds like they could still do it. But the added expense might be too much. Maybe if they brought in a big team from Eruope or maybe from Japen it would justify the expense.

7. Flyin Ryan

Flyin Ryan Member

May 13, 2004
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I've seen their stadium. It only seats 35000 but its pretty nice, right by the highway and near the Honolulu airport.