Almost...

Discussion in 'USA Women: News and Analysis' started by Elroy, Oct 11, 2003.

1. CAFAN

CAFAN Member

May 30, 2003
    Re: Re: What I'm concerned with.

Very well put Beau.

I see two problems with this thread.

#1. Is the underlying assumption that the USA should win most or all major tournaments. This may have been true in the sport's infancy but it's not true now and won't be true in the future. The women's game is beyond the point where any team is the prohibitive favorite. In fact as the sport grows the number of teams capable of winning major tournaments is going to increase.

#2 Is the contention that something has been seriously wrong with the USWNT since April took over. In 2000 and again in 2003 the USA was the equal of any team in the world. Maybe not better, but at least equal. When two EQUAL teams play, someone has to lose. The USA lost in 2000 and in 2003. 25% chance of the same thing happening if the games were decided by a toss of the coin. In 2003, a single header made all the difference. If it had gone off the crossbar things might have been very different. Pretty slim evidence that the 'sky is falling'. Unless of course you're under the delusion the USA should win most or all major tournaments.

At best there might be a case for questioning April's luck or maybe she lacks some intangible affecting her ability to win when it counts the most.

2. Elroy

Elroy New Member

Jul 26, 2001
    Read the thread!!!

You're not only missing the point, you're beating a dead horse. We've chewed this arguement to death. The point of this thread was to recognize players who were possibly just as good as the Eternals and who might have developed if they had been given the same training opportunities.

However, I'll paraphrase to save you the read.

The US coaching staff chose to give over 70% of the development opportunities to a very small group of women. I think that this was a mistake, Beau thinks that we couldn't have done anything else. We both agree that such a path is not ideal for the future.

As for your points. No one expects the US to win everything. Those of us who question the present coaching staff do expect the US to be on the cutting edge of international soccer. There is no question that our offensive output ( goals scored in the run of play ) was dismal. Our play was uninspired, simplistic, and technically bad - given the huge advantage in numbers of highly developed players that we have. This is squarely on the shoulders of the coaching staff.

We were barely equal. If we had lost well, if we had played entertaining soccer, if the coaching staff did not have to be FORCED to find new talent, close might have been good enough.

People who have standing in the soccer community - Wynalda and Pellerud have noticed.

Now, see if you can come up with some names.

3. Awe-Inspiring

Awe-Inspiring New Member

Jan 18, 2000
    Re: Re: Re: What I'm concerned with.

Right on.

If the USA were to win all of the tournaments, it would signal that perhaps the sport were so uncompetitive as to render meaningless USA triumphs. That would deprive this sport of its fun and its meaning.

I was pained when the USA lost. But sometimes one's team loses. Now it's time to rebuild for the next tournament and focus on selling the sport to the masses who've shown a willingness to embrace the team under the right circumstances.

4. Adam Zebrowski

Adam Zebrowski New Member

May 28, 1999
    I agree with awe-inspiring...

when unc had it's string of titles..it was too boring...

having a number of teams capable of winning, makes the victory more meaningful...

5. CAFAN

CAFAN Member

May 30, 2003
    Re: Read the thread!!!

#1 In case you missed the connection. What's the point of all this searching for 'might have beens' if nothing is fundamentally wrong with the USWNT? Like looking for a cure in the absence of a disease.

#2 Who says the USA has a huge advantage in highly developed players? Tons of college level players and ??

#3 Agee on one point. The USWNT doesn't capitalize on possession in the opposition's end as much as some teams (eg Germany, Sweden, Canada). They need to create more finishing opportunities and finish better. This is an area April should be focused on for the Oly's.

6. Elroy

Elroy New Member

Jul 26, 2001
    Re: Re: Read the thread!!!

1. I don't understand. I believe that there is a great deal fundamentally wrong with the USWNT program. I wanted to talk about those women who might have been NT stars if the playing field had been level.

2. Huh??!! Most of the WUSA was US ( even if by fiat ) and hundreds of college players. Also a huge population numbers advantage over almost everone.

3. Finishing was a small part of the overall problem. Getting the ball in good position to finish was the real problem! April needs to rebuild the midfield. Maybe Lil in the center, maybe a real
    4-4-2.

We can't stand pat, or things WILL get worse.

7. beineke

beineke New Member

Sep 13, 2000
    Re: Re: Names, please.

Let's remember that little word were.

Martina Navratilova is arguably the most incredible women's athlete of all time. But after age 30, she only won one Grand Slam event. In sports like soccer and tennis, it's hard to maintain the cardiovascular fitness required.