(alleged) Corruption, sleaze and brown envelopes in British game

Discussion in 'The Beautiful Game' started by Doctor Stamen, Jan 13, 2006.

1. Doctor Stamen

Doctor Stamen New Member

Nov 14, 2001
    In a bag with a cat.
    I don't know if news has reached the rest of the world yet, but the English game could be in for scandal. Luton Town manager Mike Newell publicly stated a few days ago that an agent offered a 'bung', or an amount of money if he signed a player. He says he also knows of other transfers that have had such bribery attatched, and will name names in a meeting with the FA next week.

It could get very interesting to see if any other people end up like George Graham in the 1990's.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/teams/l/luton_town/4608688.stm

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/4609068.stm

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/league_of_wales/4608812.stm

2. Disco Dale

Disco Dale Member

Nov 29, 2005
    N8
    I applied for the Arsenal job after Graham got sacked... I offered my Championship Manager (1993/94) stats. Got a nice reply, but they stuck Stewart Houston in as caretaker instead (he went to the cup winners cup final with them - all together now, "Nayim from the half-way line").

Do you remember Clough in motorway service stations, and fat brown envelopes? This, I think, was alleged, and certainly don't think it happened.

3. Teso Dos Bichos

Teso Dos Bichos Red Card

Sep 2, 2004
    Purged by RvN
    Not that sure what a Football League issue is doing here, but it should be interesting providing he has evidence to back it up.

4. Prenn

Prenn Member

Apr 14, 2000
    Ireland
    Club:
    Bolton Wanderers FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    :rolleyes:

I say this thread is fine here, end of.

(although Doctor Stamen should have said English game and not British)

5. RichardL

RichardL BigSoccer Supporter

May 2, 2001
    Berkshire
    Club:
    Reading FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    and herein lies the problem. Any 'evidence' would clearly just be him having had a verbal offer. It's not as if he'd have had secret cameras installed in his office as some part of sting operation to catch the culprits.

He is clearly not lying. He has nothing at all to gain from lying. But as he can't name names without being sued, he'll be hung out to dry for not doing so.

A fine case of shooting the messenger.

Personally I'd like to see all payments to agents by clubs, buying or selling, banned. They are providing a service for the player, nobody else, so it should be the player who pays.

6. Doctor Stamen

Doctor Stamen New Member

Nov 14, 2001
    In a bag with a cat.
    It's on this thread as it may have involved players not based in England, so it could be wider.

7. The Potter

The Potter Member+

Aug 26, 2004
    England
    Club:
    Stoke City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    I'm a bit dissapointed by the complete lack of debate, about what a consider to be a major story. There has after all been several threads about J.Cole's nightlife.

8. Teso Dos Bichos

Teso Dos Bichos Red Card

Sep 2, 2004
    Purged by RvN
    No offence guys, but it is mainly an English football league issue. Therefore did you really expect any glowing debate from this board? Let's be honest, it is only the Premiership that most other BS members even remotely care about, if at all. That's why I originally posted what I did and I fully stand by it. No doubt Prenn would disagree, but considering he can't even be bothered editing the major error in the opening post (English, not British) and given the complete lack of interest from BS in general... Besides, Mike Newall has been a bit of a prat considering he has no written evidence of anything at all. Shooting himself in the foot quite a bit there. Here's his latest comment:

"It's word of mouth," he admitted. "It's in my head, so I don't know if it's going to be any use at all." (http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/teams/l/luton_town/4611778.stm)

Or course there is a problem and it should be dealt with, but not by doing what Mike has done. :rolleyes:

9. 0-Point

0-Point Member

Jun 5, 2004
    Quantum flux
    Bungs in football or fracas over girl with huge jugs...no contest.

10. The Potter

The Potter Member+

Aug 26, 2004
    England
    Club:
    Stoke City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England

I did start a thread about it on the England:Other Clubs forum Dr Stamen was the only one to reply suggesting there should be a thread started here due to the lack of interest/traffic on that board.

Also why is it not a Premiership issue? Just because a football league manager was the one to point it out does not mean it doesn't go on at the top level. George Graham anyone?Also Gerry Francis has allready said he encounted it in the Prem.