All Time Xi Germany vs England vs France vs Italy vs Brazil

Discussion in 'The Beautiful Game' started by manimal, Sep 7, 2021.

1. Perú FC

Perú FC Member+

Nov 16, 2007
    Lima, Perú
    I just read something about it. Apparently because his arrival to London was always speculated, but he never arrived, no?

2. peterhrt

peterhrt Member+

Oct 21, 2015
    Club:
    Leeds United AFC
    This team looks pretty close to a historical consensus.

Argentine pundits might prefer Carrizo in goal and either Néstor Rossi or Mascherano (most ever NT caps) as DM.

Given all his headed goals Moreno might play further forward. Sastre played in defence at times.

3. poetgooner

poetgooner Member+

Arsenal
    Nov 20, 2014
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Yep, there's even a meme tribute to his Arsenal career:
    https://arseblog.com/2020/05/sebastien-frey-a-tribute/

It was during a time when we were still an elite side, but had poor GK situation. Post Lehmann we were using Almunia in the UCL! :whistling:

Due to the French connection, we were also linked to Yann M'Villa and Yoann Gourcuff for like a decade lol.

4. Allan Sutcliffe

Allan Sutcliffe New Member

Bolton wanderers
    England
    Sep 15, 2021
    It's almost impossible to compare generations, can you imagine Gary Lineker with a far post header with one of the balls that Matthews crossed on a cold rainy night at cold blow Lane or suffering a two footed tackle from behind of Norman hunter

5. Milan05

Milan05 Member

Dec 2, 2015
    Club:
    AC Milan
    I seriously believe that an all-time Argentina XI would beat any other country’s strongest XI.

Does anyone else feel this way?

In terms of squad depth Brazil certainly has them beat, but you can only put 11 players on the pitch at once, so it doesn’t really matter.

Fillol
    Zanetti - Passarella - Ruggeri - Marzoloni
    Ardiles - Redondo
    Messi - Maradona - Kempes
    DiStefano

Trachta10 repped this.
  6. Trachta10

Trachta10 Member+

Apr 25, 2016
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    How is that you considered England and not Argentina, Netherlands and Uruguay, or even Spain?

7. PrimoCalcio

PrimoCalcio Member

Milan/Napoli
    Italy
    Oct 14, 2019
    This is quite the shocking claim to me, Puck. Pirlo, who was the official MOTM in the 2006 World Cup Final? Who assisted the opening goal and had a hand in the build up of the other 2 goals in the 2005 UCL Final vs Liverpool? Who assisted vs Boca Juniors in the Intercontinental Cup Final in 2003? Who played a beautful assist and won MOTM in the 2007 UEFA Super Cup vs Sevilla? Who scored two, including a FK winner, vs Czechoslavakia in the 2000 u21 Euro Final?

Far from disappearing in every final he played. 2003 UCL Final he was not particularly effective but wasn't a disaster. 2007 UCL Final he played good and technically got an assist. 2012 Euro Final and 2015 UCL Final he was a non-facotr but his teams were simply beaten by far superior sides in Spain and Barcelona. Not to mention he was well into his thirties. Hard to rake him over the coals too much for that I'd say.

lessthanjake repped this.
  8. manimal

manimal Member

Dec 23, 2018
    They would beat an all time Brazil XI?

Would like to hear more opinions from other people

9. Milan05

Milan05 Member

Dec 2, 2015
    Club:
    AC Milan
    Argentina have a better goalkeeper than Brazil but it’s close with Allison’s level in recent times. I actually want to replace Fillol with Carrizo, because Carrizo’s height makes him more suited to dealing with crosses.

Argentina have better centerbacks in my view.
    Brazil have better fullbacks and a lot more depth in that position too.

Midfield? Didi and Falcao vs Ardilles and Redondo. I have to give the advantage to Brazil, but it’s very close.

Attack? Argentina wins. Messi, Maradona and Di Stefano are better than any trio Brazil can conjure.

Carrizo
    Carlos Alberto - Passarella - Ruggeri - Roberto Carlos
    Didi
    - Falcao
    Messi - Di Stefano - Maradona
    Pele

Buyo and Gregoire1 repped this.
  10. poetgooner

poetgooner Member+

Arsenal
    Nov 20, 2014
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    I'm a sucker for defensive balance, so personally I would strongly prefer Monti to Ardiles.

I'm not sure I would put it ahead of Brazil's XI, but then again, I wouldn't have a double pivot of Didi/Falcao either.

Generally not a fan of breaking things down into department or do position versus mode. Much prefer to look at the whole team. I must say, I rate Thiago Silva quite highly, which certainly helps shore up the Brazilian defensive weakness.

Lastly, while I agree Messi/Maradona/ADS is pretty overwhelming, I don't think Ronaldo/Pele/Zico is that far behind.

11. manimal

manimal Member

Dec 23, 2018
    Yeah me too..... When compare sides..... It should be a balanced side..

Would falcao and Zito work?

12. Gregoire1

Gregoire1 Member

Dec 4, 2020
    At their peaks I rank them:
    Pele 10/10
    Messi - 9,9/10
    Maradona - 9,5/10
    Ronaldo - 9/10
    Zico - 8,5/10
    ADS - 8/10

so.... its a tie basically....

13. poetgooner

poetgooner Member+

Arsenal
    Nov 20, 2014
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Can't speak to Zito, but I've been quite impressed with Toninho and Junior (keeping in mind he was probably a better CM than an LB, maybe). To take a more modern approach, maybe even Casemiro, but I know he's not seen in the same light.

14. ffff15

ffff15 Member

Argentina
    Sep 29, 2021
    With great performances in Euro 2016, World Cup 2018 and 2022 (he has performed well in other tournaments as well)
    Do you think it's fair for Griezmann to be in France's All Time XI?

carlito86 repped this.
  15. msioux75

msioux75 Member+

Jan 8, 2006
    Lima, Peru
    Great team!!! Just two changes:
    - Didi/Falcao were too offensive minded to play together
    - I'll swap DiStefano/Pelé or place both upfront

16. Al Gabiru

Al Gabiru Member

Jan 28, 2020
    #91 Al Gabiru, Dec 24, 2022
    Last edited: Dec 24, 2022
    Brazil vs Argentina: For me is 6 x 3 with two open spots

Messi, Di Stefano, Maradona are the three Argentine players should have. Goalkepper (fillol/carizzo x gylmar/taffarel) and a centerback (Passarella) are debatable.

The other 6 positions its all Brazil. Argentina doesn't have full-backs like Roberto Carlos, Junior, Djalma Santos, Nilton Santos, Carlos Alberto, Dani Alves, Cafu. Midfielders like Didi, Gerson, Falcão, Dunga. Another defender like Bellini, Aldair, Mauro, Juan, Lúcio, Thiago Silva, Luis Pereira etc.
    And Pele.

I mean, Redondo, Ardiles were good, but they don't compare to Didi, Gerson, Falcão. Many brazilians centerbacks have a better carrer than Ruggeri too (Or than Perfumo, which would be my choice in Argentina XI).

Could be 8 x 3 or 6 x 5.

17. manimal

manimal Member

Dec 23, 2018
    If you craft a pure argentina side and a pure brazil side how would look like and which one of the two sides would you rate stronger?

18. poetgooner

poetgooner Member+

Arsenal
    Nov 20, 2014
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Ahead of whom, specifically? The problem is France's front four has been crowded with Zidane, Platini, Kopa, and Henry for a while.

Griezmann maybe has a case to replace Henry, but then the team is left without a true goalscoring forward. Hard to see him overtaking any of the three Ballon d'Or winners.

19. babaorum

babaorum Member+

Aug 20, 2005
    Marseille
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    Ahead of Kopa ? Strictly speaking about the NT (not overall), I genuinely think Griezmann has a shot.

20. ffff15

ffff15 Member

Argentina
    Sep 29, 2021
    What is your suggested XI?

21. poetgooner

poetgooner Member+

Arsenal
    Nov 20, 2014
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    I see. Yeah, if we do strictly for NT, then Griezmann has a shot, and by next WC, Mbappe is probably shoe-in.

I don't think we're doing that same exercise for other NTs though or ADS wouldn't get in for Argentina, and Falcao would arguably have to move out for Zito.

22. poetgooner

poetgooner Member+

Arsenal
    Nov 20, 2014
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Idk, haven't thought about it honestly, but I know Vieira would be in it, out of sheer personal preference :D

23. CristianoPuskas

Manchester United
    Portugal
    May 27, 2021
    My England XI would be :

Pre-WWII XI.png

unpopular, but in my opinion, of course. This is the team that can challenge comparison to Brazil and Argentina XI. Superb balance with astonishing qualities in all positions

peterhrt repped this.