All-Time World Cup game - Discussion, rules, squads, info

Discussion in 'The Beautiful Game' started by PDG1978, Jul 25, 2019.

1. poetgooner

poetgooner Member+

Arsenal
    Nov 20, 2014
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Sent my Argentina XI. I don't know if I have the best team, but I think I have the best looking XI template :cool:

2. PDG1978

PDG1978 Member+

Mar 8, 2009
    Club:
    Nottingham Forest FC
    Excape Goat repped this.
  3. PDG1978

PDG1978 Member+

Mar 8, 2009
    Club:
    Nottingham Forest FC
    Group 3 up now too
    https://www.bigsoccer.com/threads/al...sults-updates-fixtures.2105346/#post-38019022

I haven't forgotten Group 1 - I'm just aiming to post both fixtures for each group close together, and I could do both games in groups 2 and 3 already.

I probably won't post in here every time I add a group though, but I'll definitely do it when I finish all 8 groups.

I might not add any more this evening though now.

Excape Goat repped this.
  4. PDG1978

PDG1978 Member+

Mar 8, 2009
    Club:
    Nottingham Forest FC
    It's just @Perú FC left to submit his line-ups for this week now.

Actually, he only has teams in the lower half of the draw (one each in groups 5, 6, 7 and 8), so I can get the top half finished this morning and then finish off after Peru makes his selections.

He still has 4 minutes of Sunday left in Peru it seems anyway lol! Although in effect he's not likely to get all 4 in before then.

I think going forwards we'll say that mid-day my time (6 hours from now) would be the final cut off point, where previous week's line-ups would be used (with necessary adjustments if applicable to meet selection criteria), but what I would say is that if anyone knows they will struggle to meet a deadline you could appeal to have it delayed as long as you do it at least 24 hours before the original deadline. As long as we know about it, then it's not a disaster to wait, but obviously it's preferable if we can keep on track with the intended schedule I think.

If we ended up changing to Monday deadlines eventually, instead of Sunday, that would probably be ok, but then I'd probably have to make the change to Thursday deadlines for votes to come in instead of Wednesdays too, otherwise people wouldn't have much time to think about their votes at all (and it obviously requires having a look at both line-ups for each match, and even getting a better feel for certain players who are being selected in some instances probably, by reading up on them and/or searching out a bit of footage perhaps).

5. PDG1978

PDG1978 Member+

Mar 8, 2009
    Club:
    Nottingham Forest FC
    By the time I finished writing it went from 4 minutes left of Sunday in Peru, to 4 minutes into Monday I see!

Anyway, no worries Peru FC, but of course if you can get them submitted ASAP that'll be great (ideally in 12 to 13 hours from now maximum for the final ones, so I could post all match-ups today within my day time including evening time...and then we can kick off the voting).

6. PuckVanHeel

PuckVanHeel BigSoccer Yellow Card

Oct 4, 2011
    Club:
    Feyenoord
    Italy Reserves line-up for group stage game 1 vs Bulgaria-Romania

[​IMG]

Subs to be used:
    After half-time - Albertini for Bulgarelli
    After 70 minutes - Signori for Prati

PDG1978 repped this.
  7. PDG1978

PDG1978 Member+

Mar 8, 2009
    Club:
    Nottingham Forest FC
    It could be that I move the deadline to the end of today Peruvian time, and post the final line-ups tomorrow now (it is not certain but it seems feasible).

However, all the group 1-4 game line-ups have been posted for the opening week, and I can already accept votes on those games (for result/score/scorers/assisters and even a bit of detail in terms of how the match might go, how goals might occur etc) for any fixture one of your own teams doesn't take part in. I've added my own votes for 5 games to my 'conversation' with Puck now, but I'm not asking for them to be posted by default at any point, unlike with the line-ups.

If you do already want to study those match-ups and get votes in for them, feel free to PM me using the PMs already set up for sending your line-ups.

You don't have to wait for me to send a scorecard (I could still do it later, but noting the scores you already submitted).

8. PDG1978

PDG1978 Member+

Mar 8, 2009
    Club:
    Nottingham Forest FC
    I'll see if Peru FC submits his opening line-ups today (my time). If not I might change the first deadline to Wednesday for line-ups (and Sunday for votes).

I want us all to be able to submit line-ups for the opening games of course (and for every game ideally, but like I said theoretically if deadlines were missed without a requested delay then previous line-ups could be used again if really necessary...with adjustments if required just to make the selections valid).

I think a delay of a few days might even help given Titanlux is on holiday for a couple of weeks too (although can submit line-ups still) and Excape Goat just returned (although isn't behind with anything as it turns out).

I did think that everyone would probably agree we should be aiming to get through one set of games a week though generally, otherwise the tournament would drag on a long time overall. On schedule it could be finished in 7 weeks.

Perú FC repped this.
  9. PDG1978

PDG1978 Member+

Mar 8, 2009
    Club:
    Nottingham Forest FC
  10. Perú FC

Perú FC Member+

Nov 16, 2007
    Lima, Perú
    Sorry for the delay (again), the national holidays in Peru were overwhelming.

In these minutes I'll sending you my 4 lineups by PM.

Excape Goat and PDG1978 repped this.
  11. Perú FC

Perú FC Member+

Nov 16, 2007
    Lima, Perú
    I've already sent my 4 lineups.

12. PuckVanHeel

PuckVanHeel BigSoccer Yellow Card

Oct 4, 2011
    Club:
    Feyenoord
    Fennoscandia line-up for group stage game 1 vs Germany-A

upload_2019-7-31_9-6-51.png

Subs to be used:
    After half-time - Elkjaer for Nordahl
    After 70 minutes - Bohinen for Litmanen

Perú FC and PDG1978 repped this.
  13. PDG1978

PDG1978 Member+

Mar 8, 2009
    Club:
    Nottingham Forest FC
    All the line-ups have been added for the opening weeks games now (the remaining ones posted today at the bottom of page 1 and top of page 2):
    https://www.bigsoccer.com/threads/al...updates-fixtures.2105346/page-2#post-38025896

So the African fans are not disappointed - they get to see their team play against Eusebio!

I'll say that for now the voting deadline moves to tomorrow. Everyone is free to vote for the results/scores (and scorers, assisters, times of goals, etc) in each game your own teams don't play in. If I get the full set of votes by tomorrow we might go back to the original schedule plan.

I'm preparing to possibly extend the deadline for votes until Sunday though this week, and if they don't all arrive tomorrow I'll send out reminders and score cards etc by PM.

Excape Goat, La-Máquina and Perú FC repped this.
  14. PDG1978

PDG1978 Member+

Mar 8, 2009
    Club:
    Nottingham Forest FC
    There are some Man of the Match votes coming in too by the way, which I seem to remember was a feature of msioux's 1950 WC version too!

So I'm just posting this to let everyone know those MOTM votes are certainly welcome (or comments about good performances in general).

It's not certain whether official MOTM awards will be handed out yet, but the brief match reports may reflect some of the votes potentially anyway.

Perú FC repped this.
  15. msioux75

msioux75 Member+

Jan 8, 2006
    Lima, Peru
    Some of you, maybe surprised seing Orsi as RW, but he was two-footed.

He played some matches there, like his last ARG cap (E.García as LW), even in the WC final, the italian FW trio interchange positions during the match.

Perú FC repped this.
  16. Excape Goat

Excape Goat Member+

Mar 18, 1999
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    As the manager of Portugal, I actually controlled the team while vacationing in Africa. I submitted my lineup while in Africa. I was also disappointed(I forgot about the match anyway) that I did not have a TV during my stay and missed the ANC Final.

PDG1978 repped this.
  17. PDG1978

PDG1978 Member+

Mar 8, 2009
    Club:
    Nottingham Forest FC
    Just the votes of Titanlux, poetgooner and La-Maquina are left to receive currently for this week's games.

18. PDG1978

PDG1978 Member+

Mar 8, 2009
    Club:
    Nottingham Forest FC
    Local television dictated that Austria's match with one set of the British Isles' best went ahead at the planned kick-off time, rather than waiting for Portugal and Africa to be able to start at the same time.

Consequently some early news, with the first result of the tournament confirmed, while other games are still being played:
    Bicancharlton.jpg

Final score: Austria 1 British Isles-B 2
    (Charlton 30, Dean 57, Bican 79)

Further details to appear later on Ceefax, with news of other games, but it is believed Tom Finney has picked up the first Man of the Match award.

Perú FC and msioux75 repped this.
  19. PDG1978

PDG1978 Member+

Mar 8, 2009
    Club:
    Nottingham Forest FC
    Several stats websites are already showing that Bobby Moore, Stanley Matthews and Matthias Sindelar have recorded one assist each in the opening fixture.

Matthews and Finney have impressive 'successful dribbles per game' numbers at this stage too apparently. Match observers say that the stats are not overly flattering the pair of wingers.

Perú FC repped this.
  20. poetgooner

poetgooner Member+

Arsenal
    Nov 20, 2014
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Unfortunately, I've been very busy with work. Won't be able to participate until the weekends :(

21. PDG1978

PDG1978 Member+

Mar 8, 2009
    Club:
    Nottingham Forest FC
    In that case the opening results will be confirmed tomorrow, and the next line-ups can be submitted over the weekend (the deadline won't be earlier than Sunday but could be later).

I'll just give Titanlux the opportunity to get votes in over tonight and the early part of tomorrow though. I know he is on holiday currently, but he may be able to vote still. There is no problem with his own line-ups being submitted for the second round of matches though anyway.

22. PDG1978

PDG1978 Member+

Mar 8, 2009
    Club:
    Nottingham Forest FC
    This is on the basis that submitting line-ups is more important than submitting votes (though the ideal is that everyone can do both for every game of course).

I'm assuming because you said weekends plural rather than weekend singular poet that you mean you'll not be able to either get line-ups ready or vote in any midweek period. If that's not right and you'd be able to vote by Sunday this week (but not before), and then get line-ups ready by Wednesday or Thursday (and do similar every week) you could let me know though today and then maybe we'd go that way instead.

23. PDG1978

PDG1978 Member+

Mar 8, 2009
    Club:
    Nottingham Forest FC
    Basically, if you're able to keep submitting the line-ups with your line-up app (since I can now post the teams you send me in a way everyone can read!), that'd be fine. Obviously you might want to be using subs in some games (one after 45 minutes and/or one after 70 minutes, pre-specified) so you can just notify me whenever you want to do that when you send the line-ups too.

If you can also get some votes in (even full sets) during the week in between, that'd be great of course though. Even just a scoreline is better than nothing, if that helped to make it feasible.

24. PDG1978

PDG1978 Member+

Mar 8, 2009
    Club:
    Nottingham Forest FC
    The full list of final scores is confirmed now, after some tense and/or eventful endings to some games.

Full details to appear before too long on the line-ups/results thread:
    Benelux-A 2 Argentina-B 2
    Poland 1 Uruguay 2
    Hungary 2 France-B 2
    Rest of South America-A 0 Italy-B 1
    Yugoslavia 2 Rest of the World 0
    British Isles-A 2 Spain 2
    Italy Reserves 1 Bulgaria-Romania 2
    Benelux-B 2 Argentina-A 2
    Austria 1 British Isles-B 2
    Portugal 2 Africa 1
    Soviet Union 1 Germany-B 2