All-Time Revolution team -- 1996-2019

Discussion in 'New England Revolution' started by ToMhIlL, Jan 21, 2020.

1. Revs in 2010

Revs in 2010 Member+

Feb 29, 2000
    Roanoke, VA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He selected Ivan McKinley, but Ivy saw red in the first minute!:rolleyes:

Crooked, BrianLBI and Feldspar repped this.
  2. Revs in 2010

Revs in 2010 Member+

Feb 29, 2000
    Roanoke, VA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I tried to rank based on their quality against the opposition of the time, and Chrono was distinctly MLS 1.0, but a solid defender in that era (when could we last say that we had a solid left back -- and one who could overlap effectively).

And Kamler had the best half-time dental surgery evah!

3. patfan1

patfan1 Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 19, 1999
    Nashua, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I truly like your team, but for your Andy Williams comment, I'll raise you a Pepe.

This pass is still one of my favorites of all time.

4. rkupp

rkupp Member+

Jan 3, 2001
    That one was pretty sweet.

5. A Casual Fan

A Casual Fan Member+

Mar 22, 2000
    it's.... it's....almost, um, maybe like its unfair, almost. To be able to do that to an opponents entire midfield and backline all in one moment.

Doublecard repped this.
  6. Revs In First :)

Aug 15, 2001
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  7. Crooked

Crooked Member+

May 1, 2005
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    #32 Crooked, Mar 10, 2020
    Last edited: Mar 10, 2020
    Farrell over Heaps is weak. And this is coming from someone who used to call Jay Heaps a traffic cone.

TOAzer repped this.
  8. Revs In First :)

Aug 15, 2001
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Dempsey is on there, but Farrell and Fagundez are mainly the dubious selections I was referring to, although Tierney's selection is also a bit meh.

Reis, Parkhurt, Dempsey, Shalrie, Lee, Ralston, Joe-Max and Twellman are inarguable.

But Farrell (and Tierney - I get he was chosen for longevity and the "local boy who scored in an MLS Cup final" factor, and I don't have a huge issue with him on the team)? Lalas, Heaps, Okaroh, Pierce, Llamosa are among many who would rank well above Andrew on my list for one reason or another (some of them were not fan voting options, so the process was flawed from the start).

And Fagundez? Jones, Gil, Andy Williams, Cancela, Larentowicz, Leo Alvarez - again, I can't recall how many of these were available as choices, but the only reason Diego is on this team is because he is our first HG who has been with the team for so long since he was a teenager. He didn't even feature for a single minute during the entirety of the 2014 playoff run.

I understand how and why they ended up getting voted onto the team, but neither of them is one of the Revs best all-time 11 - and I don't really think Tierney is either.

9. BERich

BERich Member+

Feb 3, 2012
    New England
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I like Diego, But him over Jermaine Jones!! Just amazing.

10. teskicks

teskicks Member+

New England Revolution
    United States
    Jan 14, 2002
    Wrentham, MA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think Diego is 2nd in all time scoring on the team. That explains some of it. I guess there is more value in longevity as the short time guys like Jones are not included.

11. rkupp

rkupp Member+

Jan 3, 2001
    All depends on how you value tenure vs. talent in making the choices.

A Casual Fan repped this.
  12. Revs in 2010

Revs in 2010 Member+

Feb 29, 2000
    Roanoke, VA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think they had a lot of tween, teen girls vote. The real outrage to me, is Chris Tierney, a journeyman defender at best. Slower than Steve Howie (his educated left peg missed school on the day they taught sprinting).

13. patfan1

patfan1 Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 19, 1999
    Nashua, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This generally happens with any long term vote. Most of the people that are voting are the ones that have seen the current players, not the ones that have retired.

14. A Casual Fan

A Casual Fan Member+

Mar 22, 2000
    "OK Boomer."

;)

15. patfan1

patfan1 Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 19, 1999
    Nashua, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hey, how old do you think I am??? :)

16. A Casual Fan

A Casual Fan Member+

Mar 22, 2000
    Just kidding, I got a kick out of your, er, um, "long-term" fan perspective vs "'dem youts" voting habits.

Not actually literally accusing you of being that old.

[I have the, um, "long view" of this team as well....]

patfan1 repped this.
  17. goussoccer

goussoccer Member+

May 23, 2001
    Avon, CT
    I like Diego -- but any midfield that puts him ahead of JJ and Pepe loses all credibility to me.

I guess the question is does 'All Time Team' mean the best players who ever played for us, or best contributors to the Revs over time?

18. goussoccer

goussoccer Member+

May 23, 2001
    Avon, CT
    To answer my own question -- the fact that Jermaine Jones took this team on his back and got us to the MLS finals, says that regardless of longevity, his contribution REALLY stands out. Sorry, I don't see how we have an all-time team without him. I loved a lot of other players who played for us as well - Ian Bishop, Daniel Hernandez, Alvarez (as some others have mentioned), Edwin Gorter and as others have mentioned Okarah.

19. Crooked

Crooked Member+

May 1, 2005
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Ian Bishop never played for the Revs. Who are you confusing him with?

20. NFLPatriot

NFLPatriot Member+

Jun 25, 2002
    Foxboro, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    [​IMG]

Revs in 2010, A Casual Fan and BERich repped this.
  21. ToMhIlL

ToMhIlL Member+

Feb 18, 1999
    Boxborough, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah, this is the Walter Zenga vs. Matt Reis argument. Zenga wins the "Lifetime Achievement" award for his overall career with Inter, Italy, etc. Sure, he was the greatest keeper (m)any of us ever saw on a regular basis, but Reis had more of an impact on the Revolution overall.

In the Jones case, he would win both sides for his long Bundesliga career and US Nats play, and of course, literally carrying the team on his back. Note that he also did something similar with the cRapids, where they had like the 3rd best record in the league the one year he played for them, IIRC, their highest point total ever.

22. goussoccer

goussoccer Member+

May 23, 2001
    Avon, CT
    Ah....memory is fading!! I liked watching him play, guess he never came over when Miami folded.

23. ToMhIlL

ToMhIlL Member+

Feb 18, 1999
    Boxborough, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Are you thinking of Jim Rooney? He was one of the Miami guys we picked up.

One of my favorite Rooney moments was one time they decided to mike the players or have one of those huge, dish-like mikes on the sidelines to pick up the players' chatter.

After a little argy-bargy with another player, Rooney says, "C'mon ref, that's a f@#*ing foul!" It was clearly audible on TV, so Adrian Healey didn't ignore it. "And apparently referee Noel Kenny didn't think it was any sort of foul...."

24. rkupp

rkupp Member+

Jan 3, 2001
    There was Ivan McKinley - he was always entertaining.

25. A Casual Fan

A Casual Fan Member+

Mar 22, 2000
    I like the players you list ! But - Ouch - I am drawing a blank on Ian Bishop. I pride myself on remembering impact guys, but I am at a loss re: any memories of him.