All-Time "Hair" Team

Discussion in 'Women's International' started by blissett, Mar 25, 2020.

1. blissett

blissett Member+

Aug 20, 2011
    Italy
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    I wasn't sure about posting a so light-hearted thread in a moment where most people in the world are facing dire conditions, but in the end, in full @sbahnhof's style, I decided that, in a moment where there is basically no-played women's football around, it could have been worth bantering about some light subject, as a break to our mostly lock-downed days.

The inspiration was a post by @FanOfFutbol on the US board, who, thinking about Michelle Akers, pitched the idea of a "hair" team :):

I answered with the suggestion of considering Japanese FW Eriko Arakawa for a FW position:

@FanOfFutbol pointed out at the lack of GKs and DFs for the team:

and I promptly added Wendie Renard (at least at a certain point of her career) and Sara Gama to the list:

So we're basically at: Michelle Akers, Eriko Arakawa, Wendie Renard, Sara Gama.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

So, now it's up to you, guys: any other name to suggest? :)

(I know, I know: this thread could be the biggest failure of the century! :p Nevermind).

sbahnhof repped this.
  2. FanOfFutbol

FanOfFutbol Member+

The Mickey Mouse Club or The breakfast Club
    May 4, 2002
    Limbo
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    But I am not alone in my insanity. @blissett encouraged me and even pushed me over the edge.
    BTW: I coached a young lady from U10-U16 that would put all on the "all hair team" to shame. Her pony tail was a lethal weapon and I swear she made several saves with that pony tail and never touched the ball with her hands. If anyone has read the "Cleats" comic strip there is a girl portrayed in that strip that was once red carded for retaliating with her pony tail. I would think that could actually be a portrayal of what the girl I coached actually did in a few cases. Much to my disappointment she chose family and a professional life as a doctor over soccer. I never could get some of my players to understand just exactly how important soccer is. :giggle::whistling::ROFLMAO::rolleyes:

But I kind of would like this to be limited to players that actually at least played some at the professional level.

59Amerinorsk and blissett repped this.
  3. 59Amerinorsk

59Amerinorsk Member

Chicago Red Stars
    Norway
    Mar 31, 2017
    blissett, hoping you are staying healthy in Italy. My best.

blissett repped this.
  4. 59Amerinorsk

59Amerinorsk Member

Chicago Red Stars
    Norway
    Mar 31, 2017
  5. blissett

blissett Member+

Aug 20, 2011
    Italy
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    I am healthy (and safely working from home), but I have the sad feeling that it could soon strike in USA as badly (or worse) than it already did in Italy. :unsure:

But let's stay at the subject of this thread: do you have any suggestion for our "hair" team, @59Amerinorsk? Maybe some Norwegian players from the good old days? I wasn't really following women's football in the era when Norway was winning titles, but I seem to vaguely remember some impressive blond mops. :)

59Amerinorsk repped this.
  6. FanOfFutbol

FanOfFutbol Member+

May 4, 2002
    Limbo
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Nope. I have started several threads that not only had no replies but actually had fewer views. This one will, at the least, be fun. And God knows that more than almost everything else this world needs all the fun it can get. :sneaky::eek::cool:

blissett repped this.
  7. 59Amerinorsk

59Amerinorsk Member

Chicago Red Stars
    Norway
    Mar 31, 2017
    Glad to hear you are doing well. I sent the Karina hair style as a suggestion - see above. We were lucky to have her on CRS ! I will have to see if I can find any Norsk players with bold hairstyles! Glad you included Eriko - one of my favorite players ever! She played in WPS and I saw her play in Chicago. :cool:

blissett repped this.
  8. FanOfFutbol

FanOfFutbol Member+

May 4, 2002
    Limbo
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    I live in somewhat rural Tennessee and our county supervisor just today put the county under a semi-lockdown. The people in the county are not to gather in groups larger than 10 and most non-essential businesses are to close. I have my doubts as to the real effectiveness of "lockdowns." While they reduce the spread they are usually a response to infections and by the time they are implemented it is usually too late to prevent infections and they get lifted before all instances of the virus are gone and that will just start things all over. If the virus can reach here then almost nowhere is safe. I guess there are some minor advantages to being semi-homebound.

I am wondering if "color" of hair could/should be a consideration? there is at least one member of the current USWNT (Guess who) that has had a few iterations of her hair color that were just almost outrageous enough to seem to qualify her. But I still like big hair better than just colorful hair.

blissett repped this.
  9. 59Amerinorsk

59Amerinorsk Member

Chicago Red Stars
    Norway
    Mar 31, 2017
    P.S. Am working from home and all here are closely monitoring the COVID-19 outbreak and doing the social distancing. Sad to see how many are sickened and losing their lives. :cry:

blissett repped this.
  10. blissett

blissett Member+

Aug 20, 2011
    Italy
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    He he, we're still a precious few here: if someone else will join, we could start an educated discussion about what a "hair team" should exactly mean and if we're going to leave it at "big hair" or if we can basically welcome any unusual hairstyle (In that case some Shanice Van de Sanden would probably like to have a word with Rapinoe about who's the weirdest one... :whistling:).

[​IMG]

Ethan Frank, Lechus7 and 59Amerinorsk repped this.
  11. Lechus7

Lechus7 Member+

Aug 31, 2011
    Wroclaw
    #11 Lechus7, Mar 25, 2020
    Last edited: Mar 25, 2020
    I see we have GK, 2x FW and 2x DF, so here's MF:
    Esse Akida
    [​IMG]

....also I guess something what time ago could've been considered a modest haircut...
    [​IMG]
    ...now could run riots among the weird ;) - Lily Parr

59Amerinorsk and blissett repped this.
  12. 59Amerinorsk

59Amerinorsk Member

Chicago Red Stars
    Norway
    Mar 31, 2017
    how about "lack of hair" style and fame? Sissi of Brazil, one of the best players ever! [​IMG]

Lechus7 repped this.
  13. blissett

blissett Member+

Aug 20, 2011
    Italy
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Well, from "big hair" to "no hair": apprenently, the scope of this thread is widening! :laugh:

14. sbahnhof

sbahnhof Member+

Nov 21, 2016
    Aotearoa
    You know there's room for 11 hairstyles on one team...

[​IMG]

Vanessa Stefanello may have the best hairdo in Serie B.
    But not as big as her club's mascot at Veneto

...actually, my usual posting style is "minor league financial crisis"

blissett repped this.
  15. Lohmann

Lohmann Member+

Arminia Bielefeld
    Germany
    Feb 24, 2020
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Beverly Ranger from Jamaica won the German title in 1975 with Bonner SC and scored the Goal of the Month in June 1975

16. blissett

blissett Member+

Aug 20, 2011
    Italy
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Wow, thanks for this trip down memory lane! :) I didn't know about Beverly Ranger (I was 2 yo in 1975 :p), but her goal was awesome :eek: and looks like her hair is perfectly suited for this thread! :giggle:

If she's a FW as one would suppose from this video, we start having an over-abundance of offensive player, and we'd need some more midfielders, as someone already pointed out.

17. Lohmann

Lohmann Member+

Arminia Bielefeld
    Germany
    Feb 24, 2020
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Yes, Beverly was a forward and also won the title with Bergisch Gladbach in 1977. In the same year she also played for Lazio.

blissett repped this.
  18. FanOfFutbol

FanOfFutbol Member+

May 4, 2002
    Limbo
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Move Akers back to defensive mid where she actually played in her most famous, ie most televised, performances then we are still not overburdened with forwards.

There is a reasonable corolation between forward positions and flamboyant hair styles. That is when I coached I often said, only half in jest: I play my flakes either all the way forward or all the way back. Forwards or goalkeepers. That was because until you reach goalkeeper as you move back in the formation you need a more conservative outlook or you have chaos. There is a series of statements that kind of sums up the attitudes that various positions should have:
    1. In the defense you have to assume, at all times, that is worst possible thing will happen so you can be ready when it does.
    2. In the midfield you must weigh the possibilities and try to choose what will happen leaning toward worst possible as you get nearer your own goal.
    3. In forward positions you must assume that the best thing, for your team, will happen so you will be fully ready to pounce when it does.

Those little axioms give general guidelines for field players. In the goalkeeping position the defensive axiom still applies but they also must be crazy enough to dive at the feet of a player about to kick the ball and be disciplined enough to retain proper technique for self protection. That is why so few players are able to be effective at goalkeeper. So the flakes are usually forwards but the craziest of those just might make good goalkeepers. I am a bit surprised that there are not more goalkeepers that have made this list but I am not surprised that there are few defenders and really only one defensive mid. (I guess Akers must have been, in many ways, schizophrenic in her play)

blissett repped this.