All-Time Greatest NBA Shooting Guard

Discussion in 'Basketball' started by TheSlipperyOne, Jul 8, 2005.

1. TheSlipperyOne

TheSlipperyOne Member+

Feb 29, 2000
    Denver
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    I'm going to be posting polls for the All-Time Greatest at each position to compile an All-Time First Team NBA.

I'm only going to post 5 players in each poll. No "other" option. If you want to pick someone else then you write their name in.

Here we go with Shooting Guard.

2. Tyler66

Tyler66 New Member

Apr 22, 2004
    Massachusetts
    Easy-MJ!

3. Val1

Val1 Member+

Arsenal
    Mar 12, 2004
    MD's Eastern Shore
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    This fivesome is deeper than the PG 5, but it's still no contest. You know, this vote could be a clean sweep for Jordan.

4. Garcia

Garcia Member

Dec 14, 1999
    Castro Castro
    Funny how every other new kid is called the next Jordan, but Jordan was called the next Dr. J. I am surprised Julius was left off this poll, but as Val already said, it would be about who is second to Jordan.

5. Alex_1

Alex_1 Member

Mar 29, 2002
    Zürich
    Club:
    Grasshopper Club Zürich
    Nat'l Team:
    Switzerland
    Harold Miner!

j/k... seriously.

Dr. J probably would be considered a small forward. When Michael Jordan entered the league he was actually playing small forward many times with guys like Quintin Daily, etc.... the old skool Chicago Bulls, where the players would order hot-dogs and beer during time-outs. :D

Of these players, MJ certainly gets the nod. The guy evolved his game through the years, turning himself into more than just a slasher with that fall-away jumper. Could also take over a game, and he was literally unstoppable at times... didnt' matter who was guarding him, he'd find a way to score.

Pistol Pete on the other hand is still one of the best to ever play the game. I don't think there was ever a more fundamentally sound player in the NBA... then or today. He was a guy that you always felt had complete and total control of the basketball and could manipulate it in any way he wanted. He was a freak! His shooting, his passing, his dribbling... I'd say he was better at jordan than... well almost all of those. However when it came to athleticism and in general, willing teams to win adn taking over games, Jordan wins hands down.

A bit tougher when you remember these two players. But Jordan wins.

Jerry West & Curt Havlecik were other good entris, but not "Jordanesque". A few other good two guards... Clyde Drexler, although this is a bit limited since he honestly wasn't so great a ball handler. He'd put his head down, run for the rim, and sometimes commit a turnover :D. Reggie Miller is also one of the all-time greatest shooting guards IMO. Pure shot, and like Jordan when this guy was hot, there was nobody who could stop him. He'd just shoot a team to death... the game in NY in the playoffs where he crushed them in a matter of seconds will forever be an NBA legend. IMO the current crop of two guards really don't match up quality wise with the likes of those when Jordan was in his prime... back then between the mid 80's - mid 90's you had Miller, Drexler, Mitch Richmond, Orlando Blackman, Alex English, Joe Dumars, Dale Ellis, Reggie Lewis (sometimes at forward though) and several others.

6. TheSlipperyOne

TheSlipperyOne Member+

Feb 29, 2000
    Denver
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    That's where I'm putting him on my polls.

Don't think I forgot him!

I know who I'm voting for but of the ones listed on the poll take a look at Elgin Baylor's stats and you will see he was a pretty amazing player.

7. Garcia

Garcia Member

Dec 14, 1999
    Castro Castro
    Yea, Dr. J should be a small fd.

I totally forgot Reggie.
    I think we judge guys by championships and not for who they played against. Many great players ran into the Bulls. Throughout NBA history, many players may not be considered for being the best in their position due to lack of team success. I would factor that into things, but it can't be the main factor.

The only reason why Reggie Miller couldn't be the best off guard is because his style of play may have hurt the Pacers in the manner in which he required so many screens. By default, the whole offense went either through him or around him. He was a pure shooter and could draw fouls like a mutha. But, if you ate not even the best player in your household...getting beat by your sister... :D

Jordan also played some mean defense. He could do anything...like Magic at times. Remember when Jordan played the point and got a few triple-doubles in a row?

8. Don Boppero 3000

Don Boppero 3000 DNALMQNLGLLMX!

Jan 15, 2001
    The Fullerton Hotel Chicago
    Club:
    Club América
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    Jordan, Jordan, Jordan.

He was a killer. Hands down the greatest athlete I'll ever be privilege to witness. They don't make with that much drive anymore. That ability to take it to next level when the opponet brought their best game. The dedication to the game is what stands out the most to me. A lot of that is lacking in today's NBA, but no one can match his hunger. The next Jordan, nobody.

GREATEST.

[​IMG]

9. tedwar

tedwar Member

Jun 24, 1999
    Richmond, CA-EastBay
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I thought about voting for Elgin just for the heck of it, but really, there should be a separate poll, other than MJ, who's the greatest.

That would be tough, between Reggie and Elgin. Point of order, it's John Havlichek (last name sp?).
    Tony

10. TheSlipperyOne

TheSlipperyOne Member+

Feb 29, 2000
    Denver
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
  11. tedwar

tedwar Member

Jun 24, 1999
    Richmond, CA-EastBay
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I was referring to Alex_1's otherwise quite thoughtful post, as he called him "Curt Havlecik," who I think was the Warriors second round pick that year they took Todd Fuller first.
    ;)
    Tony

12. TheSlipperyOne

TheSlipperyOne Member+

Feb 29, 2000
    Denver
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Gotcha. Missed that one.

13. patrickm

patrickm New Member

May 3, 2003
    usa
    george gervin? what about isiah? he was a scoring point guard, probably as good a shooter as there ever was.he was a de facto 2 guard.