All-Time Greatest NBA Center

Discussion in 'Basketball' started by TheSlipperyOne, Jul 1, 2005.

1. TheSlipperyOne

TheSlipperyOne Member+

Feb 29, 2000
    Denver
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    I'm going to be posting polls for the All-Time Greatest at each position to compile an All-Time First Team NBA.

I'm only going to post 5 players in each poll. No "other" option. If you want to pick someone else then you write their name in.

Next up is Center.

2. TheSlipperyOne

TheSlipperyOne Member+

Feb 29, 2000
    Denver
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Apparently people like PGs more than Cs.

3. Hrvat

Hrvat New Member

Mar 27, 2005
    Zagreb, Croatia
    I'll go with David Robinson, I simply like him best. For Chamberlain, Russel and Mikan I know only from stories (impressive, though) so it wouldn't be fair from to vote for them, especially since rules were quite different back then.

Robinson is the man for me, next to him Olajuwon. O'Neal is great, but his game is too onesided for me.

4. Val1

Val1 Member+

Arsenal
    Mar 12, 2004
    MD's Eastern Shore
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Russell. The game is about winning and Russell is the preeminent winner in American sports.

5. Don Boppero 3000

Don Boppero 3000 DNALMQNLGLLMX!

Jan 15, 2001
    The Fullerton Hotel Chicago
    Club:
    Club América
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico

I really dug Robinson's game too. Never a big fan Olajuwon. O'Neal as onesided as his game is and was he is an effective player. My nod goes to Mr. 10,000 hoes.

6. Tyler66

Tyler66 New Member

Apr 22, 2004
    Massachusetts
    If you had to make a list of the top 15 players in NBA history, at least 5 would be centers.

7. TheSlipperyOne

TheSlipperyOne Member+

Feb 29, 2000
    Denver
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    The Admiral is my favorite center as well, but he's definitely not the greatest so I couldn't vote for him.

8. tedwar

tedwar Member

Jun 24, 1999
    Richmond, CA-EastBay
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Say what you want to about his supporting cast, but the Stilt changed the game, literally.

Chamberlain
    Shaq
    Russell
    K A-J
    Moses Malone

Tony

9. skipshady

skipshady New Member

Apr 26, 2001
    Orchard St, NYC
    I have to defend Shaq here. You can't really use "one sided" as a criticism against Shaq when no one has really figured out a way to regularly contain him. Plus, compared to most centers of his generation, he can play on both ends of the ball.

For me, the biggest knock against Shaq is his inability/unwillingness to stay in shape, which is the real reason he hasn't won a championship in 3 years.

The best center? I have no idea, especially since I haven't seen most of the players listed play. So I'm going to go with either Moses Malone or Eric Montross.

10. The Double

The Double Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 11, 2002
    Denver
  11. Narmec

Narmec Member

Aug 27, 2001
    Tucson, Arizona
    Moses was the Truth.

12. Onionsack

Onionsack BigSoccer Yellow Card

Jul 21, 2003
    New York City
    Club:
    FC Girondins de Bordeaux
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Bill Russell dominated the game like no one had or ever has. The man was unstopable for years and won 8 or 9 straight Finals. He was the Boston Celtics. He even in his latter days bested Wilt on numourous occasions.

Its not even a contest in my mind..Russell all the way.

Wilt and Kareem are fighting it out for second.

13. Hrvat

Hrvat New Member

Mar 27, 2005
    Zagreb, Croatia
    I emphasized that I don't personally like his way of playing the game. He's unstoppable, I agree, and I respect that, but I like more gracious centers like David and Hakeem.

What I said was purely my "taste" for basketball centers.

14. microbrew

microbrew New Member

Jun 29, 2002
    NJ
    My favorite is Hakeem Olajuwon. Just from his stats, he's among the top in terms of points, rebounds, shot-blocks and steals.

Then, there's his Dream Shake. I'm still in awe.

Along with Kareem's sky hook, I wonder why we don't see more imitators.

15. Garcia

Garcia Member

Dec 14, 1999
    Castro Castro
    Kareem Abdul-Jabar was hyped from his HS days and actually did better than the hype. Playing into his 40s is also a great factor in his being the best. He was never really a nice guy off the court and is basicly broke today. A shame really, but he was a key part of his team until he retired.

Sky Hook!

16. Alex_1

Alex_1 Member

Mar 29, 2002
    Zürich
    Club:
    Grasshopper Club Zürich
    Nat'l Team:
    Switzerland
    Tim McCormick!!!

J/K. Center... in some ways this is more difficult than the PG one to me. If you want Power, you've got Shaq. IMO no other center was as dominant and powerful as Shaq. You want fundamentals and one hell of an unstoppable shot, Abdul-Jabbar. The man was amazing. For finesse, Hakeem was definitely the man. IMO he was the best center in the early-mid nineties, hands down. Moses Malone was also a good center in his day but never really among the elites to me. Patrick Ewing was up there too but IMO couldn't adjust his game enough.

I think I have to give the nod to Wilt. I didn't really like him, and he wasn't the most team oriented player, but the man's stats were amazing and he did end up nabbing a championship in the end. But no-one could stop him - not even Bill Russell. On the other hand, Russell always got his points and rebounds and his teammates simply killed Russell & Everyone else with Bob Cousy running the offense.

17. Excape Goat

Excape Goat Member+

Mar 18, 1999
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    I saw him on Jeopardy once. That guy is smarter. He beat out larry King who was on the same show.

18. Walter3000

Walter3000 Member+

Apr 8, 2004
    gainesville, Florida
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    How did the best center of the 1990s....Olajuwon now get a mention?

Coming from a Celtics fan...Wilt should have won this.

19. PsychedelicCeltic

PsychedelicCeltic New Member

Dec 10, 2003
    San Francisco/London
    Wilt wasn't as good a player as Russell. Wilt scored a lot and did nothing else well, and wasn't a team player.

Russell is the greatest defensive player of all time, probably the greatest winner in the history of sports, and a consumate team player.

BTW, Cousy retired 6 years before Russell retired.

All you need to know about who the better player is this. A 38 year old Bill Russell coached the Celtics to their 11th title in 1969 in a game 7 versus the Lakers, playing all 48 minutes. Wilt Chamberlain sat out a good portion of the game, including the last several minutes of a close Game 7, pouting over not getting the ball enough and having a spat with his coach.

You take Wilt. I'll take Russell, and beat you with him.

20. Walter3000

Walter3000 Member+

Apr 8, 2004
    gainesville, Florida
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What other center in NBA history has lead the league in assists? name one........Pretty good for a guy who wasnt a team player. :rolleyes:

Name anothe rplayer in league history who average 50 points a game?
    Russell had a starting 5 of hall of famers, and was a great defender. Wilt was the most dominating player in NBA history who happened to not have nearly as good as a team.

21. PsychedelicCeltic

PsychedelicCeltic New Member

Dec 10, 2003
    San Francisco/London
    Wilt could only wish to have Russell's defensive skills.

And I wonder how Wilt managed to never have as good of a team..perhaps because Wilt was sitting on his ass in a Game 7 pouting?

22. Narmec

Narmec Member

Aug 27, 2001
    Tucson, Arizona
    Patrick Ewing does not belong in any discussion of the greatest NBA centers of all time. College centers, I'll give you that. But in the NBA, he was a disappointment. The only reason he got close to a championship is because Pat Riley decided, when he didn't have LA's talent, that thug ball was the way to go.
    Moses Malone, on the other hand, DEFINITELY belongs in this discussion. If there was one player Kareem did not like playing, it was Moses. In the '83 Finals Moses outrebounded Kareem something like 72-30 (4 game sweep). Granted, Kareem was aging, but he did go on to win 3 more titles.
    I'd say Russell is the best, with Chamberlain right there with him. Moses and Kareem for 3 and 4 (either way), Shaq #5.
    Mikan is an all-time great, but doesn't belong with these guys.

23. Walter3000

Walter3000 Member+

Apr 8, 2004
    gainesville, Florida
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Im sure Shaq would like to have Dikembe's defensive game, but shaq is still the more dominant player. Wilt didnt have as good of a team because Red Auerback didnt build hima dynasty full of hall of famers like cousy, kc jones, same jones, havilcek, etc. jesus why cant people understand teams win championships not individuals. Why isnt socttie pippen the greatest small forward of alltime? he won 6 rings, more than Bird of Dr. J

24. aussie6

aussie6 New Member

Sep 4, 2005
    The Admiral is my personal favorite. But I'll give it to Bill Russell. 11 titles in 13 years.

Andrew Bogut Online